Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

Yup, Alex Neil is an interesting one. Knows the Scottish game, experienced in England, but still a young guy. He’s gone from promotions with Hamilton and taking Norwich to the premiership to being sacked in the championship, maybe he’d see us as an opportunity to rebuild his reputation. Plus we are a big job, and annual European runs are certainly appealing. There’s no standout candidates, I think he’s a pretty good option.

Yip,I would take Neil ahead of the others mentioned,think he'd be more likely to appeal to a majority of the support,unlike the other candidates.

A bit unlucky at PNE with injuries,players moving on etc,but known for playing youth and high tempo fitba.

Maybe feels he can continue at a higher level down South but worth the enquiry

Edited by Elgindon

Not sure about Neil.

If we had finished 9th say this season then he'd be great for us.

We are needing a manager with the mentality to challenge at least 1st, 2nd or 3rd and get past Euro qualifiers regularly.

Neil took a club from 9th last season to 16th this season.

No from me 

27 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Not sure about Neil.

If we had finished 9th say this season then he'd be great for us.

We are needing a manager with the mentality to challenge at least 1st, 2nd or 3rd and get past Euro qualifiers regularly.

Neil took a club from 9th last season to 16th this season.

No from me 

Who do you have in mind?

If you believe in fate this is it. Neil is in a similar situation to McInnes prior to him coming to us. Success with a smaller Scottish club gets the English move, but McInnes really didn’t have success in England other than avoiding relegation. Neil got Norwich promoted, and while it hasn’t been great and he gets canned, look what happened with McInnes with us. Don’t see how we can write Neil off, young motivated and ambitious, who else or what else would we want that is realistic? If you want a foreigner that comes with risk, and I’ll include Glass in this category, or if you want an experienced man with winning experience, that’s Neil Lennon. I think Alex Neil has to be our guy.

Edited by LA-Don

20 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Dick advocat

Contract ends june this year

Based on his CV he’s at a new club almost every year. Why is that? I think we want stability with long term planning, don’t see him bringing that, and someone we can see being here 5-10 years, and that’s not him either. I think we want a young ambitious up and comer, who like our players now, sees us as a chance for a trophy or two, Europe, and a step to bigger things. I just don’t see how we can’t look at Neil.

True true.

Need some massive inspiration for new manager.

Who that is I've no idea.

Names mentioned already dont do it for me though.

Maybe Maloney because I think he's a good lad with tons of ambition and experience(though not as manager) and wanted to play for us.

9 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

True true.

Need some massive inspiration for new manager.

Who that is I've no idea.

Names mentioned already dont do it for me though.

Maybe Maloney because I think he's a good lad with tons of ambition and experience(though not as manager) and wanted to play for us.

I see Maloney in the same boat as Glass. Completely unknown as a manager, minimal experience, and we’ve no clue if they’ll be any good. Who knows why he’s at Belgium, and from what I’ve read he doesn’t even coach, but consults, scouts etc. Both he and Glass need a successful experience at Motherwell, St. Mirren, Dundee or the likes before I’d consider them for a bigger task like us.

Neil fits the mold of mcinnes, even Ferguson, in terms of experience and age, I think he’s a good fit. I’m certainly not over the moon with excitement, but I think he’s the best option and won’t be out of a job long.

So who is a bigger name and huge inspiration? In all seriousness, maybe Duncan Ferguson from the names mentioned here before? I’d say based on championship and premiership experience, Alex neil Is about as big a name as we’ll get. We even may have to consider that I’d assume it would be a fair cut in pay to come here from a championship or premiership team (and yes, he doesn’t have a job presently, but he’d have been earning good money.)

I could be totally wrong on this but I'm pretty sure Neil said a few years back he wasn't planning managing in Scotland again.  I suspect he'll take a time out until the merry go round starts up again down south next season.  There's a lot of clubs in the NE of England too so unless he's actively wanting to leave the area the smart move for him would be to sit tight.  

Think we have to ask the question of Neil. People do change their minds about things. Neil’s style of football is different to McInnes and he will have the contacts in England and Scotland to bring in the players we need for squad rebuild quickly. 

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Mark Hughes

Mark van Bommel

Vladimir Ivic

Nigel Pearson

Gus Poyet

Martin O'Neill

Gary Rowett

Sam Allardyce

Alan Pardew

Bronckhorst

Sol Campbell

Hannes Wolf

Garry Monk

All available^^^

?

Would any of them be worth the price though? Are they actually good managers? Or just "big names"? I wouldn't be enamoured with any of them. The manager you employ has to be relevant to the league and budget within which you operate. One of the reasons that Gerrard has managed to finally get success at the hun is because it was a very good fit for him. He could get players at the lower-mid end of the Liverpool cast-off pool whom he knew were good players. With a decent knowledge of the game down south at the hun level of salary, and an extremely competent staff behind him (especially in recruitment), they've seen a lot less failures in the transfer market. If he'd come to Aberdeen, for example, he would have struggled to do that because we'd never be affording Kent or Aribo (let alone Defoe) and he wouldn't have had the recruitment staff to mitigate his lack of knowledge in our market. 

From that perspective, Neil is a far better fit than any of the above. He'll know good Championship players within our budget, he's got a good understanding of the game in Scotland. He's had succesful periods as a manager in Scotland and England.

What would be the point in Van Bommel if he's only got the budget for Calvin Zola? What would he bring other than a cheap thrill to the fans for a few months until he's inevitably found out? What makes Mark Hughes a good manager?

16 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Would any of them be worth the price though? Are they actually good managers? Or just "big names"? I wouldn't be enamoured with any of them. The manager you employ has to be relevant to the league and budget within which you operate. One of the reasons that Gerrard has managed to finally get success at the hun is because it was a very good fit for him. He could get players at the lower-mid end of the Liverpool cast-off pool whom he knew were good players. With a decent knowledge of the game down south at the hun level of salary, and an extremely competent staff behind him (especially in recruitment), they've seen a lot less failures in the transfer market. If he'd come to Aberdeen, for example, he would have struggled to do that because we'd never be affording Kent or Aribo (let alone Defoe) and he wouldn't have had the recruitment staff to mitigate his lack of knowledge in our market. 

From that perspective, Neil is a far better fit than any of the above. He'll know good Championship players within our budget, he's got a good understanding of the game in Scotland. He's had succesful periods as a manager in Scotland and England.

What would be the point in Van Bommel if he's only got the budget for Calvin Zola? What would he bring other than a cheap thrill to the fans for a few months until he's inevitably found out? What makes Mark Hughes a good manager?

Agree with most of that Rico re the new manager.  The hun recruitment thing is a total myth though.  If you look at their comings and goings over the last three seasons they have had a horrendous amount of players leave having failed to deliver anything.  The reason they have succeeded is because they have just continued to throw money at it until they eventually ended up with eleven good players.  The ratio of good buys to bad is probably no better than ours.  Celtic is the same, for every Edouard there is a Scott Allan, Shayne Duffy and Jack Hendry.