Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

Really enjoyed listening to Cormack in that interview.

I like him a lot. He seems honest and ambitious and not afraid to say when he's wrong.

I'm very positive about the future of AFC under his helm and think he and the board will choose the right guy.

?

3 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Good interview. He wants someone who will go to Glasgow to win.....interesting comment. The way it should be!

It wasn't clear, should they just go to Glasgow to win, or actually win in Glasgow? There's a big difference. Would we've happy enough with positive performances without the results? Believing you can win doesn't make it so, and I always feel that trite phrases such as "you've got to win in Glasgow" don't really add anything. Unless Cormack is going to back the manager significantly then he's not going to get his wish. We're good enough to beat both the scum in their own backyard on our day, but being on our day requires a lot of luck too. For example, I think our good team from earlier in the season would have had a chance against both the scum with the added belief (or let's say too much caution) that was never really there under McInnes. However, with two or three injuries to our better players we will always struggle, regardless of "belief". That is, unless, we can get a squad together where the replacements are very strong. That requires Cormack to put his money where his mouth is, and is what happened when Ferguson was manager.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

It wasn't clear, should they just go to Glasgow to win, or actually win in Glasgow? There's a big difference. Would we've happy enough with positive performances without the results? Believing you can win doesn't make it so, and I always feel that trite phrases such as "you've got to win in Glasgow" don't really add anything. Unless Cormack is going to back the manager significantly then he's not going to get his wish. We're good enough to beat both the scum in their own backyard on our day, but being on our day requires a lot of luck too. For example, I think our good team from earlier in the season would have had a chance against both the scum with the added belief (or let's say too much caution) that was never really there under McInnes. However, with two or three injuries to our better players we will always struggle, regardless of "belief". That is, unless, we can get a squad together where the replacements are very strong. That requires Cormack to put his money where his mouth is, and is what happened when Ferguson was manager.

I took it as he's meaning go to Glasgow to try to win games, simple as that. Cormack also stated that there is a clear philosophy now about how we should play too. There have been times we've had the players to win in Glasgow but the tactics have appeared to be shite, the very defensive sit back and absorb until we eventually lose a goal. I don't think Cormack (who is very American in his thinking) is happy with the on the park product and believes we should entertain the fans and try to win every game. With our budget we're capable of more wins than we've had, although I agree injuries do play a factor. We are not going to spend millions but we'll spend enough to build a team capable of winning more, and a good coach should have done better against the old firm in recent years in my opinion. I don't think Cormack expects us to be winning every game, but we should be approaching every game with the mindset of winning.

Edited by LA-Don
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

We are not going to spend millions but we'll spend enough to build a team capable of winning more, and a good coach should have done better against the old firm in recent years in my opinion. 

Careful big man ?

I think we should spend a few million on good players.

We sold McKenna and Cosgrove for million that we didnt really expect.(ok McKenna's value grew and we knew we could get a few mill for him in the end)

With the right manager and the financial backing/crowds hopefully coming back, we are looking at a huge change to AFC and I for one have every trust in Cormack delivering.

Look if we can win against Celtic in Glasgow with Higgins, Buckley, Morrison, Muirhead, Rutkiewicz, Foster starting one should be winning more often than we do in this neck of the woods!!  It was my 24th birthday that evening we won at Parkhead.  Couldn't believe we also broke their 77 game undefeated home record too.   

• Like 2

On 16/03/2021 at 02:02, Jute said:

Hope not as his record in India is awful (3 wins in 20) and from memory (Those in Australia and New Zealand feel free to correct) his time at Brisbane was similarly unspectacular. 

Brisbane had an upturn in form at the start of this season, and he tried to claim credit for it.  He had some good results but by and large he was shite for them and caused quite a stir in the dressing room.

12 hours ago, HaarDon said:

I think we should spend a few million on good players.

We sold McKenna and Cosgrove for million that we didnt really expect.(ok McKenna's value grew and we knew we could get a few mill for him in the end)

With the right manager and the financial backing/crowds hopefully coming back, we are looking at a huge change to AFC and I for one have every trust in Cormack delivering.

That is pure fantasy min.  Are you going to be putting in the millions yourself like?  The money received for McKenna and Cosgrove does not make up what money has been lost in the last year with not having any fans in Pittodrie. 

55 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

That is pure fantasy min.  Are you going to be putting in the millions yourself like?  The money received for McKenna and Cosgrove does not make up what money has been lost in the last year with not having any fans in Pittodrie. 

I'm not talking straight away and i dont feel it's fantasy once we clear out a few players and get crowds back.

And yeah, I'll put a few mill in of course.

The board according to figures on the other forum mentioned they had put something like £15million towards the training ground so why is it such a fantasy they wont spend 2 or 3 million on players over the course of say this summer and next season.

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

I'm not talking straight away and i dont feel it's fantasy once we clear out a few players and get crowds back.

The board according to figures on the other forum mentioned they had put something like £15million towards the training ground so why is it such a fantasy they wont spend 2 or 3 million on players over the course of say this summer and next season.

The question would have to be why they haven't done that in the last four years? We've also got to ask ourselves as fans if we want our club's running costs to massively exceed our income (I wouldn't). With millions of investment, McInnes would undoubtedly have won more games in Glasgow (that strange benchmark again), but we would have seen very little return on that beyond winning a few additional games (maybe a cup, who knows). With the advent of the shitey Europa extension, we may see income levels increase to the point that we can sustainably inject a million per season into the football side of things, but otherwise I get the impression that - correctly - Cormack won't be launching millions of unsustainable funds into our club.

Haven't they not done that because Cormack wasnt the chairman and other multi millionaires werent around for the last four years?

And haven't these new guys pumped millions into the paying for the training facilities ?

If so then I dont see why they wont build a better team by spending a bit more and replacing crap with quality.

That may not result in spending millions on each player which is not what I'm saying by any means but I feel if they're serious about rebuilding even gradually , they'll have a certain pot to spend which could amount to 2 or 3 million. 

Who knows. 

I dont lol 

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Haven't they not done that because Cormack wasnt the chairman and other multi millionaires werent around for the last four years?

And haven't these new guys pumped millions into the paying for the training facilities ?

If so then I dont see why they wont build a better team by spending a bit more and replacing crap with quality.

That may not result in spending millions on each player which is not what I'm saying by any means but I feel if they're serious about rebuilding even gradually , they'll have a certain pot to spend which could amount to 2 or 3 million. 

Who knows. 

I dont lol 

None of us know, that's the point. As a fan, though, would you be happy to have some millionaire pumping money into the club to fund its day to day running? There's a massive difference between capital spending on infrastructure than spending, say, 70-80% of income on wages. Would you be happy for us to be run way out-with our means in order to "win in Glasgow". The sort of thing the Huns have done since inception.

I had hope the dark days of demanding the club spend millions they don't have on players who they cannot guarantee will deliver, had been kicked into touch following the examples of Hearts & Dundee in Scotland, and multiple teams south of the border.

However more than a decade of tory rule once again spending more than you earn on the basis everything will somehow turn out OK is back. 

The traning ground is an asset.
It allows the club to control when and where they carry out training rather than having to rely on the tide being out, the sports village not being fully booked etc, and looks a lot more impressive to prospective players.
It can also generate income from hiring out the facilities and now all the crap that was buried under the 'green-belt' has been removed the value of the land will have increased and will hold its value (suspect there still is and always will be a demand for houses in the Kingswells/ West Hill area.

5 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Of course it is fantasy.  The need to take £150,000 for Wright in January when he was a key player for us earlier in the season speaks volumes.

Clubs are on their knees at the moment and people are kidding themselves if they really believe a new manager is going to have a big transfer kitty.  We have spent virtually nothing on transfer fees in the last 20 years (as has 80% of teams in our league), that is not going to change dramatically following a year with vastly reduced income.

Did you ever think a board would pump £15mill (or fitever it was) into the club either?

Nope, none of us thought that.

Yet they have so why is it such a fantasy?

You cant simply dismiss the idea of a few million being spent over the course of rebuilding a team who has won one cup in 20 odd years by a new regime wanting success and collectively, multi millionaires investing in AFC already putting their money where there mouths are.

Re: Hernandez £750,000 for example.

The greatest manager ever saying that the gap between us and the scum is unbridgeable in the times today. It's the sort of thing that the BBC should be picking up on and discussing how things can be changed to bridge that gap. They'll be discussing the best method to get scum colts into the championship instead.

If Fergie believes the gap is unbridgeable then hopefully he's reiterated this to Cormack who will keep this in mind when interviewing for a replacement, and he's devising a plan to act to reduce that gap.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

The greatest manager ever saying that the gap between us and the scum is unbridgeable in the times today. It's the sort of thing that the BBC should be picking up on and discussing how things can be changed to bridge that gap. They'll be discussing the best method to get scum colts into the championship instead.

If Fergie believes the gap is unbridgeable then hopefully he's reiterated this to Cormack who will keep this in mind when interviewing for a replacement, and he's devising a plan to act to reduce that gap.

Or just use it as a reason for accepting the “best of the rest trophy”. 
If we were winning cups more regularly (say every 5 years) then the meek acceptance would be more tolerated. 

3 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Or just use it as a reason for accepting the “best of the rest trophy”. 
If we were winning cups more regularly (say every 5 years) then the meek acceptance would be more tolerated. 

Regardless of whether it's used as a reason for accepting the best of the rest or not, the best manager in the history of fitba has said it, and I don't believe he's just saying it to stick up for McInnes, he genuinely believes it. It should be taken extremely seriously. Thirty six years don't lie. 

I think you're right about the cup winning thing. Similarly if we were finishing mid table like under McGhee and Brown then our focus would be elsewhere. Is it enough to say that we want to win a couple of cups every decade, or do we need to be saying that we want to play in a league where it is possible for us to win it? If Ferguson doesn't believe he could win it, then it's as good as unwinnable.

35 odd years since Ferguson went to Man united, and Murray was told to GTF by Ayr United to spunked all his cash into Sevco.

In that time 105 Scottish trophies have been up for grabs.
82 have gone to the Old Firm with the other 23 split between 12 teams.

The Dons have won 4 which still makes them 'the best of the rest' (Hearts and Hibs have 3 each)

Would need a complete financial meltdown of world football and televised sport in general for the SPL to go to anyone else.
Either that or some mad Aberdonian tycoon sells their billion pound business and then spunks the lot on his boyhood team for the final years of his life, after which the surviving family members gradually pull the investment and the club sinks like a stone.
Some Arabs thought they were getting that with Eddie Thompson but £30million in 2004 isnt the same as Jack Walker's £360million in 1989.

Edited by tom_widdows
  • Like 1