Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

Some interesting posts here. I cannot believe some peoples narrow mindedness towards cormack. He’s a very successful businessman, why would his attitude towards Aberdeen be any different? He’s hired the guy who he thinks is best at taking us forward. Why would he be wrong? A ton of armchair fans, including myself, may question him, but what do we know? Have we interviewed Glass? Scott Brown?

I wanted Alex Neil. Was he even an option? Who knows. But I credit Glass for being a go getter and getting out of Scotland to develop both his playing and coaching career. He has a more worldly view of football and I think that’s a positive. I didn’t want Goodwin who may just be a one season wonder, the ex Motherwell guy, or tommy Wright for example. We’ve gone bigger in my opinion. And as someone has already posted, the standard of MLS is better than the Scottish premiership, the quality of play is better. I expect glass to play football. Fuck, I even question how some of the kids I coach here play more attractive football than Aberdeen sometimes. I know he was the reserve coach but this could be a great hire, we just don’t know, time will tell.

As for Brown. Hate him as a player but if he makes us better welcome aboard. I don’t have the narrow mindedness about signing him, Huns and the likes, even Declan Gallagher with his past. football is a business focused on winning and we’re not doing that presently. 4th in the league isn’t a success. Not winning cups isn’t success. Failing to make progress in Europe isn’t success. Cannot deny Brown brings a winning mentality and a ton of experience that can only benefit us. Wonder if Robson has a relationship there and will be kept on?

Anyway, not the direction I hoped for but good luck to the new management team. Mcinnes turned us back into a top 4 team and got us respectability again, hopefully it’s on to the next level now.

5 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Exactly. There is absolutely no relationship between being a good businessman and appointing a good Aberdeen manager.

My point is that so many fans think they know better. Myself included who was critical. But cormack is where he is today because of success, why would we know better? He clearly knows glass more than any of us, has been involved in the hiring process, so he’s made a more educated decision than any of us could do. It doesn’t mean he’ll be a great chairman appointing a great manager because he is a good businessman, but he’s in a better position than any of us to make an educated appointment. I’m willing to give cormack a chance and already some turn on him. 

35 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

As for Brown. Hate him as a player but if he makes us better welcome aboard. I don’t have the narrow mindedness about signing him, Huns and the likes, even Declan Gallagher with his past. football is a business focused on winning and we’re not doing that presently. 4th in the league isn’t a success. Not winning cups isn’t success. Failing to make progress in Europe isn’t success. Cannot deny Brown brings a winning mentality and a ton of experience that can only benefit us. Wonder if Robson has a relationship there and will be kept on?

That's not the definition of narrow mindedness I'm afraid. Nobody on here is lamenting the fact that he's a Tim. He's a racist apologist who called a black Aberdeen player a liar and hasn't apologised since. There's nothing narrow minded about expecting a club like AFC, who projects itself as a family club and takes the knee to reject racism to expect a prospective candidate to publicly address, and apologise for, his prior acts of gaslighting. That's nothing to do with football, that's something you either expect your club to stand for or not. I don't believe that Brown is a racist, so he should have no problems addressing the point. I think that would show him, and the club in a fantastic light and show that he's matured enough to be in management at a club like AFC. I have absolutely no doubt that AFC will not address it and neither will the fans. Which is fine, as long as we can all the show racism the red card stuff too as it's clearly not something we believe in.

3 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

My point is that so many fans think they know better. Myself included who was critical. But cormack is where he is today because of success, why would we know better? He clearly knows glass more than any of us, has been involved in the hiring process, so he’s made a more educated decision than any of us could do. It doesn’t mean he’ll be a great chairman appointing a great manager because he is a good businessman, but he’s in a better position than any of us to make an educated appointment. I’m willing to give cormack a chance and already some turn on him. 

Well said.

let’s get behind Cormack and Glass. The doom, gloom and negativity from some folks is embarrassing. It’s like they are only happy when they are moaning. 
mid hate to have their outlook on life. Miserable bastards! 

1 minute ago, LA-Don said:

He's employing his mate in a preordained process. I can almost guarantee that Glass was lined up to be manager the minute Cormack walked in the door. There was no process from our process guy, there was simply a sign off at board level. He didn't make an educated appointment, he made a heavily biased decision. It's exactly why we needed a director of football. 

It might work out. He comes across well.

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

That's not the definition of narrow mindedness I'm afraid. Nobody on here is lamenting the fact that he's a Tim. He's a racist apologist who called a black Aberdeen player a liar and hasn't apologised since. There's nothing narrow minded about expecting a club like AFC, who projects itself as a family club and takes the knee to reject racism to expect a prospective candidate to publicly address, and apologise for, his prior acts of gaslighting. That's nothing to do with football, that's something you either expect your club to stand for or not. I don't believe that Brown is a racist, so he should have no problems addressing the point. I think that would show him, and the club in a fantastic light and show that he's matured enough to be in management at a club like AFC. I have absolutely no doubt that AFC will not address it and neither will the fans. Which is fine, as long as we can all the show racism the red card stuff too as it's clearly not something we believe in.

I’m not even touching on the racist part. Plenty, including myself, hate brown the player. An entitled cheating prick who plays like an arrogant cunt. For that reason alone people don’t want him here. That would be my reason. But if he becomes our player/coach I’m willing to give him a chance. Others won’t.

6 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

Well said.

let’s get behind Cormack and Glass. The doom, gloom and negativity from some folks is embarrassing. It’s like they are only happy when they are moaning. 
mid hate to have their outlook on life. Miserable bastards! 

Grow up. We don't need to be told to get behind a manager, we're not fucking morons. We can objectively look at a situation and call out the glaring issues that present themselves. We don't have to blindly support every single decision in some partisan unquestioning manner. 

Glass will get everyone's support. There's nothing that he's done wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

I’m not even touching on the racist part. Plenty, including myself, hate brown the player. An entitled cheating prick who plays like an arrogant cunt. For that reason alone people don’t want him here. That would be my reason. But if he becomes our player/coach I’m willing to give him a chance. Others won’t.

Fair enough. I'd have thought the attributes you mention would work the other way for him! In fact, those are the reasons I would want him here.

Edit: I should add that it's completely understandable for you not to discuss the racism issue, but it's not acceptable for AFC to pretend it didn't happen. I hope a lot of dons fans find it unacceptable too and I hope Logan makes his thoughts public too (unless he isn't bothered by it).

Edited by RicoS321

2 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

He's employing his mate in a preordained process. I can almost guarantee that Glass was lined up to be manager the minute Cormack walked in the door. There was no process from our process guy, there was simply a sign off at board level. He didn't make an educated appointment, he made a heavily biased decision. It's exactly why we needed a director of football. 

It might work out. He comes across well.

And you know he’s employing his mate how? And you almost guarantee he was lined up. Really? And you know there was no process? Can you tell me how many people we interviewed? You have an opinion that I just don’t agree with.

had mcinnes had a great season he’d still be here. He didn’t. Life is all about who you know. I’ve hired people I’ve known well and been friends with, not because they are friends, but because they do a great job. We assume, some know, that cormack knows glass but to say he’s our manager because of friendship is wrong. He wouldn’t have been hired if cormack didn’t think he’d do a great job, the fact that they may have had a previous relationship helps us with the manager/chairman relationship in my opinion. You see all of this negatively, is there any way a cormack/glass relationship could actually help us?

15 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Grow up. We don't need to be told to get behind a manager, we're not fucking morons. We can objectively look at a situation and call out the glaring issues that present themselves. We don't have to blindly support every single decision in some partisan unquestioning manner. 

Glass will get everyone's support. There's nothing that he's done wrong.

I said, let’s get behind Chairman AND manager. You have conveniently responded without mentioning that, although it appears pretty clear what you think of Cormack based on your assumptions on Glass only getting the job because he’s Cormack’s mate, or because Cormack lined him up as soon as he took over, or because in your words there was no process.

You haven’t a clue about any of that. It’s just negativity and a failure on your part to give Cormack a chance.
I hope that he and Glass prove you and the rest of the nay-sayers wrong. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

And you know he’s employing his mate how? And you almost guarantee he was lined up. Really? And you know there was no process? Can you tell me how many people we interviewed? You have an opinion that I just don’t agree with.

had mcinnes had a great season he’d still be here. He didn’t. Life is all about who you know. I’ve hired people I’ve known well and been friends with, not because they are friends, but because they do a great job. We assume, some know, that cormack knows glass but to say he’s our manager because of friendship is wrong. He wouldn’t have been hired if cormack didn’t think he’d do a great job, the fact that they may have had a previous relationship helps us with the manager/chairman relationship in my opinion. You see all of this negatively, is there any way a cormack/glass relationship could actually help us?

Absolutely, there are plenty of ways it could help. Objectively, though, it's a biased decision. He's been elevated above others because of his relationship.

I don't know for certain that he was lined up, it's speculation on the evidence. I have a very strong suspicion. It had been rumoured as far back as two seasons ago from memory, that wasn't guesswork, they're good friends. The classic name dropping of Fergie, to highlight the importance of the relationship between the manager and the chairman was a good tactic though, I have to admit. I think you'll struggle to find anyone who thinks the decision wasn't made before sacking McInnes. 

I hope he gets his assistant in asap and uses the time available this season to good effect. Despite the massive questions about the process, the nepotism and our questionable links with Atlanta, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

6 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

I said, let’s get behind Chairman AND manager. You have conveniently responded without mentioning that, although it appears pretty clear what you think of Cormack based on your assumptions on Glass only getting the job because he’s Cormack’s mate, or because Cormack lined him up as soon as he took over, or because in your words there was no process.

You haven’t a clue about any of that. It’s just negativity and a failure on your part to give Cormack a chance.

Fair enough. If you think there are no questions to be answered with regard to the appointment and our relationship with Atlanta, that's fine. I think that's either an exceptionally naive, or exceptionally partisan position to take based on the glaring evidence.

25 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

The rumours about Glass being lined up to replace McInnes have been on the go for months but if your naive enough to believe it’s just pure coincidence that these rumours just happen to have landed on the best candidate for the job then fair enough. 

27 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

There are as yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazonian jungle who knew Stephen Glass was going to be the next Dons manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Fair enough. If you think there are no questions to be answered with regard to the appointment and our relationship with Atlanta, that's fine. I think that's either an exceptionally naive, or exceptionally partisan position to take based on the glaring evidence.

Apologies, I posted before reading, I forgot my actual point! What I take issue with is the instruction of "let's get behind" or "everyone needs to get behind". If people have got valid concerns then they absolutely need to raise these. It's vitally important. I'm happy for us to disagree, I'm not happy to be told what to think. It's that sort of shite that had us on the path to a stadium in Aberdeenshire, six miles from the biggest public transport hub in the region. People told that we all need to get behind something. Whether it's brexit, independence, the dons manager it's massively important that people with issues voice them, not let themselves be drowned out and respond to evidence as it makes itself available. 

One of the biggest problems with not having due process in place is that this will happen again. Just as it did under Milne. Not only that, but if the message from the top is that it's fine to sign yer mates, then that propagates down the way. I here broony already has a few of his Dubai chums lined up to join the party (obviously, I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea). 

Edited by RicoS321

17 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Genuinely the worst thing about this whole affair is the “aberdeen way” that cormack has invented for the purposes of today’s press release ?

Aye, that fucking reeks of the Tims. Next it'll be the AFC family. Fucking horrendous chat.