Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

4 hours ago, KGB said:

There is a ridiculous notion that persists in some peoples minds  that because someone was a hard player or a  horrible bastard on the pitch that that somehow how makes them more likely to get the best out of players as they will somehow knock their own attributes into them. Often its the very attributes that they showed on the pitch that makes them unsuited to man management and I say this in direct response to those who would tout guys like Brown as just what the current squad needs to give them a good boot up the arse.

It’s nice to see you still care KGB! 
couldn’t agree more. Roy Keane being a prime example. The days of that have gone. Football has moved on.

we need a manager that has excellent man management skills, that the players will run and work for every minute of every game and respect. Add in a couple of coaches to help that side of it out. 
I’m all for a something different. A younger manager cutting his teeth with new ideas and no fear. Similar to what Gerrard has done at Rangers. There was huge risk with that appointment and although I personally can stand the guy, he has done a great job. 
mad long as we roll the dice, try something fresh and don’t reach out for SPL mediocrity like Hughes or Robinson or Goodwin, I will be happy! 

• Like 1

I think the Glass/Brown combo is quite an interesting one.

Am I excited about it? No. But then can't remember the last time I was genuinely excited about an appointment. But it's a far more interesting option than Stephen Robinson or Neil Lennon.

Glass wants to play attacking football, has been a coach for years, will give youth a chance, knows Aberdeen & Scottish football. If we are going to be getting players from Atlanta at least he'll know what he's getting. I was reading a few Atlanta blogs and Glass appeared to be getting the best out of Jon Gallagher over there, they've been raving about him.

Scott Brown: You have to separate the personality and the player/coach. Even at 36 (which is what he will be next season) I think he still gives Aberdeen a good year or two, will help bring on Ferguson/McCrorie/Campbell especially, is a leader which we've badly lacked this season. Tactically, again from reading these Atlanta blogs and based on his short time in interim charge, Glass liked a number six coming deep and freeing up the rest of the midfield going forward - can see Brown/McGeouch switching about to do that job and Ferguson & McCrorie going a bit further forward.

As a coach, he's been helping out coaching Celtic's youth teams for years, highly thought of there by all the young players. 

Also talk that if Brown is coming, then Griffiths (out of contract in summer I think) might be persuaded up too. Again, separate the personality & player. A fully fit Leigh Griffiths is a massive improvement on anything we've had up front for a number of years.

I was sceptical at first but I'm warming to the idea of Glass. 

Edited by Panda

You can see whatever you want about Glass as an inspiring coach or changing players for the better.

However, his record is utter shite.

He's been in management for 2 and a half years and not proven to be successful yet.

And all this talk about bringing youth to AFC. That's great but I wouldnt rely on Scottish youth to get us success. This isnt Man United in the early 90s.

Foreign management, foreign players, foreign ideas (mixed with some AFC youth and Scottish SPFL)

And I'd take Griffirhs in a heartbeat.

?

7 hours ago, Panda said:

I think the Glass/Brown combo is quite an interesting one.

Am I excited about it? No. But then can't remember the last time I was genuinely excited about an appointment. But it's a far more interesting option than Stephen Robinson or Neil Lennon.

Glass wants to play attacking football, has been a coach for years, will give youth a chance, knows Aberdeen & Scottish football. If we are going to be getting players from Atlanta at least he'll know what he's getting. I was reading a few Atlanta blogs and Glass appeared to be getting the best out of Jon Gallagher over there, they've been raving about him.

Scott Brown: You have to separate the personality and the player/coach. Even at 36 (which is what he will be next season) I think he still gives Aberdeen a good year or two, will help bring on Ferguson/McCrorie/Campbell especially, is a leader which we've badly lacked this season. Tactically, again from reading these Atlanta blogs and based on his short time in interim charge, Glass liked a number six coming deep and freeing up the rest of the midfield going forward - can see Brown/McGeouch switching about to do that job and Ferguson & McCrorie going a bit further forward.

As a coach, he's been helping out coaching Celtic's youth teams for years, highly thought of there by all the young players. 

Also talk that if Brown is coming, then Griffiths (out of contract in summer I think) might be persuaded up too. Again, separate the personality & player. A fully fit Leigh Griffiths is a massive improvement on anything we've had up front for a number of years.

I was sceptical at first but I'm warming to the idea of Glass. 

Is it really fair to say Stephen Glass “knows” Scottish football? He hasn’t played here since 2010, has never managed here, and appears to have spent a lot of time out of the country since 2012.  Having PPV access to games on TV doesn’t necessarily mean he “knows” Scottish football. 

I don’t get the clamour for an inexperienced manager with a very poor record. Let’s see how he is doing in 5 or 6 years if we’re looking for a manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Don said:

I will support any new manager who comes in & gets us challenging for titles & winning cups, I'm no fussed who it is, as long as they bring success. 

I've just seen Durrant, John Brown and Mark hateley with Dave Cormack at the marcliffe.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kowalski said:

Is it really fair to say Stephen Glass “knows” Scottish football? He hasn’t played here since 2010, has never managed here, and appears to have spent a lot of time out of the country since 2012.  Having PPV access to games on TV doesn’t necessarily mean he “knows” Scottish football. 

I don’t get the clamour for an inexperienced manager with a very poor record. Let’s see how he is doing in 5 or 6 years if we’re looking for a manager. 

5 or 6 years?

I’ll say 12 months 

Seems Glass was a mentor to Brown when they were both at Hibs, which at least explains the connection.

I would assume Glass would have a salary commensurate with his experience and track record, I’m not sure Brown would come up here for less than that amount, whatever it may be. At least I hope he wouldn’t. 

36 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

You'd have to wonder what Robson would think about Brown coming in too? He'd be better off moving on if there's no obvious route to management for him, assuming that's what he's after (which I always had). I'm not sure what Brown offers that he wouldn't.

He can play in the team.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KGB said:

There is a ridiculous notion that persists in some peoples minds  that because someone was a hard player or a  horrible bastard on the pitch that that somehow how makes them more likely to get the best out of players as they will somehow knock their own attributes into them. Often its the very attributes that they showed on the pitch that makes them unsuited to man management and I say this in direct response to those who would tout guys like Brown as just what the current squad needs to give them a good boot up the arse.

Nice rant but you're totally forgetting he's going to be playing in the team so your point is complete nonsense.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

Nice rant but you're totally forgetting he's going to be playing in the team so your point is complete nonsense.

Do we really want to be relying on a regressing 36 year old in the centre of our midfield? I'd expect him to be on our bench and we wouldn't be denying Campbell minutes just to keep brown ticking over for the handful of games where he might be useful as part of a midfield five. Our midfield isn't where we're lacking in games against the bottom 8-9 teams. From a playing perspective, I'm not convinced Brown would offer us anything now.

The last time I can recall an angeing outfield player coming to the dons and making a real impact was a Craig Brewster. 
40 years old but scored 4 goals in his 9 games and set up Barry Nicholson's equaliser at Tynecastle.

Honourable mention goes to a 34 year old Paul Hartley (8 goals in 32 games) but under McGhee he was doomed

It takes a special type of outfield player to keep going into their later years and whilst they can have a fantastic season age 36, the drop off in their ability, fitness and indeed attitude the following season can be (scarily) rapid making everyone wish they had retired from top flight football on a high. The smart players knows when its time to either completely call it quits, or drop down to lower league football for a few years while they work out what they want to do when they stop playing.

14 hours ago, HaarDon said:

You can see whatever you want about Glass as an inspiring coach or changing players for the better.

However, his record is utter shite.

He's been in management for 2 and a half years and not proven to be successful yet.

And all this talk about bringing youth to AFC. That's great but I wouldnt rely on Scottish youth to get us success. This isnt Man United in the early 90s.

Foreign management, foreign players, foreign ideas (mixed with some AFC youth and Scottish SPFL)

And I'd take Griffirhs in a heartbeat.

?

There's a massive Brexity hole in the middle of your foreign proposal...

@KGB @RicoS321

I don't dispute that there's no link to a hard player being a good Manager etc... I am talking about them as a person. Ferguson is highly thought of, he's respected for the work he does and as a person, I find him infectious, I see his passion and his sheer love for Everton and the fact he purely wants the best for them, I disagree with the whole " Footballs moved on from that type of person/player " I strongly believe they're still very much needed in today's game, you see a lot of the time a team will lose a goal or they won't challenge a 50-50 and their heads go down, you want someone there to boot them up the arse or even motivate them and make sure they leave everything on the pitch. 

I think the fact he's worked very closely with the likes of Moyes, Koeman, Martinez & now Ancelotti can only be a good thing as well, not bad Managers to gain advice and learn from. 

I believe he'll make a very good Manager for someone ( Which I appreciate doesn't mean he will just because I believe it ) and I'd really love it if it was with us. 

Am I the only one that wants Scott Brown nowhere near our club...in any capacity?

Coach/assistant - a huge risk due lack of experience, personality and being generally thick as mince.

Player (as some have mentioned) - shades of Keane going from MU to Celtic or Hartley coming to Aberdeen or Jackie Mac coming to Aberdeen. All way past their best in positions where they need legs and by the time these moves were made, their legs had gone.

If Stephen Glass is to be our next manager...let his assistant be someone other than Scott Brown. 

1 hour ago, sheepheid said:

Am I the only one that wants Scott Brown nowhere near our club...in any capacity?

Coach/assistant - a huge risk due lack of experience, personality and being generally thick as mince.

Player (as some have mentioned) - shades of Keane going from MU to Celtic or Hartley coming to Aberdeen or Jackie Mac coming to Aberdeen. All way past their best in positions where they need legs and by the time these moves were made, their legs had gone.

If Stephen Glass is to be our next manager...let his assistant be someone other than Scott Brown. 

No.

I am not keen on either being appointed but especially Brown and 100% not as a player. 

I'd love it to be Duncan Ferguson just don't think we'd get him, he loves Everton and hates Scotland.  According to my Everton daft nephew he has been promised the Everton job after Ancelotti.

Glass record as a manager is uninspiring to say the least, if his plan is to bring Brown with him then tell him to bolt. 

Of all the names been banded about I think our best realistic option is Billy Davies. 

Kinda curious to see what Glass could do on the one hand,...on the other,am not sure he'd have enough of a presence/aura for players or fans to buy into....,just a hunch.Maybe a bit like Cathro who seemed well qualified for the job at Hearts.

If it is Glass,think we'd need to be smart with the choice of assistant

Though I'm kinda hoping for something a bit more leftfield that fires the imagination

No to Scott Brown,..Billy Davies? nae sure about him,became a bit paranoid towards the end of his Forest job did he not? Always thought he was a bit of an oddball,but did have a decent record prior to that

Edited by Elgindon