Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

Just had a read on the managerial career of Martin Rennie (who I hear you ask!) Exactly what I said. It was an article in the Evening Express that said Brian Irvine recommended him. So it piqued my interest. First off he had no senior professional football career but neither did Jose Mourinho. From what I can tell, every club he has gone to, he has improved them and broken records. He has managed tier 2 clubs in the US primarily but also successfully managed Vancouver Whitecaps. He was the manager when Kenny Miller and Barry Robson went there. He has won and been nominated for numerous managerial awards in the states and was commended for his attacking style of football. I think we should be looking at a proper coach like this rather than just a big name ex-footballer. I would still take Paul Lambert though....

Made my feelings known in a different thread regarding this. 

For me it has to be Duncan Ferguson, he wants to manage, and I think his goal is to manage Everton one day, but he really should cut his teeth elsewhere. Why not us? I appreciate he has a lack of Managerial experience, but he's been coaching and learning under various Managers for many years now, again, I am an enormous believer in mentality, I think he'd have us fired up for a home game against a 3rd Division team in the early cup rounds as much as he would away to Rangers/Celtic. I don't believe for one minute he'd accept that our aim is 3rd and we should be happy with it, he'd demand and strive for better. 

We all know what type of character he is, personally I find him infectious, passionate, heart on his sleeve and purely wants the best. He's a lot more level headed now but you still wouldn't fuck about with him, we need that, as well as someone with good tactical sense, he's learned from Moyes, Marco Silva and is now Ancelotti's assistant. The game where he was caretaker Manager and they beat Chelsea 3-1, you know they made more tackles in that game than they had done in 37 years? He's old school but has good teachers. 

What he's done with a lot of the Everton youngsters as well, some of who still play for the 1st team, is highly regarded, It's just my opinion, I appreciate and accept that some will say " Fuck that " or maybe we couldn't afford him, but I genuinely believe he's exactly what we need. These 2 YT clips I have put up explain a bit about how he works. 

• Like 1

Many shite names mentioned, but I’d be very comfortable with Glass, Rennie, or Ferguson. I think people have to remember, much like the players now, we’re a stepping stone to bigger things. I don’t want the seasoned manager who is doing the rounds and picking up another gig. Alex Ferguson was young and relatively untried, I’d like us to go that route with an experienced assistant. Glass and Rennie are names many in Scotland will shun but as a coach over here in the US, I see there’s a lot of very creative and talented guys here, plus they have a worldly view of football, learning from many nationalities and cultures. I think it’s narrow minded to think they couldn’t succeed in Scotland. Add that Rennie has a connection to Robson, wonder if there’s anything more there.  As for Duncan Ferguson, I think he bring Fergie type characteristics but with a modern twist. I’d see us competing/at least trying against the old firm and certainly not scared. 

Wouldnt be averse to asking Ferguson at least,but would have my doubts if he'd come here.Been in the English game a long time,might see us as a backward step?.

If he was persuaded though,as long as we had the right assistant to counter his weaknesses,whatever they may be,..tactics,diplomacy ? etc

Think the US candidates might struggle to adjust after their first Wintry Tuesday night at Pittodrie being booed off the park,but you dont know til you try....

Edited by Elgindon

Jesus, scanning paper online @ 6am on a Friday morning and reading the names Sven Goran Eriksson, Scott Brown, England striking coach Allan Russell, it's going to be an interesting ride until we end up appointing Robinson or Goodwin ?

I am just assuming Glass/Brown story is just some bored crayon eater at the Sun trolling Dons fans. Brown would be sent off in nearly every game he played once he didn’t have the protection of a Victim shirt. 

Ferguson is an interesting option as he seems highly thought of at Everton but not a name you see being linked with other jobs in England. 

33 minutes ago, tup1 said:

I'd be happy enough with Brown coming in because I hate most of the ankle sock wearing fannies in our squad.

They need to man up, Brown might be just the man to force their hand. Get stuck in or GTF.

He failed to do that as captain this season for the Tims. He also defended a racist against one of our current players, accusing him of lying. 

25 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

He failed to do that as captain this season for the Tims. He also defended a racist against one of our current players, accusing him of lying. 

I know, he's a complete dick. He'd lie his way out of anything to suit his own agenda.

Exactly what we need really. Nasty folk tend to come out on top at most things.

19 minutes ago, tup1 said:

I know, he's a complete dick. He'd lie his way out of anything to suit his own agenda.

Exactly what we need really. Nasty folk tend to come out on top at most things.

They tend to come out on top, and that's probably the issue with Brown. He's downed tools on a couple of occasions as a player, under Collins at Hibs and deila at the Tims. I wouldn't trust him not to do similar as assistant, putting himself before the team and manager. Perhaps he's matured since those situations and I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt, but they do concern me. If his ambition is to one day manage a club, I could see him throwing a manager under the bus to save himself.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

They tend to come out on top, and that's probably the issue with Brown. He's downed tools on a couple of occasions as a player, under Collins at Hibs and deila at the Tims. I wouldn't trust him not to do similar as assistant, putting himself before the team and manager. Perhaps he's matured since those situations and I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt, but they do concern me. If his ambition is to one day manage a club, I could see him throwing a manager under the bus to save himself.

It's the trend at the moment, to appoint a recently retired player as manager or in this case assistant manager.

I wouldn't be averse to it. The club needs shaken up, maybe a couple of complete arseholes are just the guys to do it.

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Like another former celtic midfielder in an assistant role at Aberdeen?

There is a ridiculous notion that persists in some peoples minds  that because someone was a hard player or a  horrible bastard on the pitch that that somehow how makes them more likely to get the best out of players as they will somehow knock their own attributes into them. Often its the very attributes that they showed on the pitch that makes them unsuited to man management and I say this in direct response to those who would tout guys like Brown as just what the current squad needs to give them a good boot up the arse.

Edited by KGB
additional info added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't want that prick anywhere near our Club, people will say it's hypocritical because I want D Ferguson, but as I explained, he's clearly a lot more level headed these days and has for many years now, been learning under various different Managers at Everton, he channels it into passion rather than aggression these days. 

Scott Brown always has been and always will be, a plastic hard man, I watched Partick Thistle play Celtic in the Cup seasons ago, and Brown absolutely shit himself from Martin Woods, Billy Dodds was on commentary and said they have previous but couldn't discuss it on Live TV as it was private of course, I have watched him shite it from big Cosgrove and run behind a Ref when Cosgrove got hold of him, he's fake, he's a bully and he pretty much called Shay Logan a liar in the whole Tonev/race incident, get him so far to fuck. Players would want to play for Ferguson, he's infectious, Brown is just a muppet and I don't think he'd have the same respect.  ( Need to reiterate this is just my Opinion ) 

As for Glass, jesus wept, I have no issue with him coming here in a coaching capacity, but to be Head Coach/Manager, absolutely not, makes zero sense and is hardly going to get the imagination going. 

13 minutes ago, KennyFuckinPowers said:

I wouldn't want that prick anywhere near our Club, people will say it's hypocritical because I want D Ferguson, but as I explained, he's clearly a lot more level headed these days and has for many years now, been learning under various different Managers at Everton, he channels it into passion rather than aggression these days. 

Scott Brown always has been and always will be, a plastic hard man, I watched Partick Thistle play Celtic in the Cup seasons ago, and Brown absolutely shit himself from Martin Woods, Billy Dodds was on commentary and said they have previous but couldn't discuss it on Live TV as it was private of course, I have watched him shite it from big Cosgrove and run behind a Ref when Cosgrove got hold of him, he's fake, he's a bully and he pretty much called Shay Logan a liar in the whole Tonev/race incident, get him so far to fuck. Players would want to play for Ferguson, he's infectious, Brown is just a muppet and I don't think he'd have the same respect.  ( Need to reiterate this is just my Opinion ) 

As for Glass, jesus wept, I have no issue with him coming here in a coaching capacity, but to be Head Coach/Manager, absolutely not, makes zero sense and is hardly going to get the imagination going. 

Why is Glass any worse/better than Ferguson? I'm not saying he is/isn't. Both are hypothetical good/bad manager appointments, not having much experience of management between them. Like KGB's excellent point about the association between hard player and good manager, there's very little correlation between good player and good manager either. 

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Why is Glass any worse/better than Ferguson? I'm not saying he is/isn't. Both are hypothetical good/bad manager appointments, not having much experience of management between them. Like KGB's excellent point about the association between hard player and good manager, there's very little correlation between good player and good manager either. 

Glass strikes me as a type who’d encourage & try to reason with players as opposed to holler at them.

Think they’re a dying breed these days. 

His background is mainly with younger players so we might see one or two youngsters given an opportunity.

The likes of Ramsay at right back

No doubt one of his remits will be to bring through (& sell) younger players.