Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

21 minutes ago, tup1 said:

The day it was announced we got gubbed 3-0 by Motherwell, the game being over after 8 minutes of comical defending.

That set the tone for the rest of this crap season. We've been rudderless ever since. We've been defending like amateurs at times and we can't score.

I'll give you the comical defending early doors in that game but for me the game changer in terms of our season was the loss of Watkins at the start of November.

Prior to that we were on one of our best starts to a league season for twenty years (based on points per game) 

1 minute ago, donsdaft said:

I haven't checked but I reckon the goals against column doesn't look that bad.

It was utter boredom that was the real problem and you can't blame losing McKenna for that.

Has McKenna been getting a game for (whoever he signed for)

See, I've been so bored I haven't a clue who he signed for.

Nottingham Forest ???

Just returned from injury last week. Seems to be doing well in a shite Forrest team in the games I have seen.

36 minutes ago, Jute said:

Just returned from injury last week. Seems to be doing well in a shite Forrest team in the games I have seen.

Yep, believe he's one of the best defenders in the league, statistically. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get a bigger move if forest aren't up to it.

39 minutes ago, KennyFuckinPowers said:

Stephen Glass it is then. 

Would not have been in my top 5 choices, but I am not the person who gets to decide. 

Initially thought it was very underwhelming and disappointing, Cormack's puppet if you will, but having listened to both interviews ( Glass & Cormack ) and hearing words like " Mentality " and " Driven " and statements like " Trophies in the Cabinet " then there's no denying that they at the very least, talk a good game & want what we want. 

I agree, Glass comes across very well. A bit like cathro did at hearts. The problem we have is that Cormack has shrewdly (sort of) picked up on the things he knows that dons fans will want to here. It's like a checklist. The "winning in Glasgow" mantra being trotted out and so on. They're largely meaningless slogans, the sort you'd associate with politics. It's good to have a strategy of course, and I like that Cormack is keen on that. I was far more interested in Glass' chat about mowbray, which was intriguing. I like him so far. He's intelligent and studious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think it will happen that way though. It's putting him in an awkward position. It wouldn't look good for him not to take charge straight away (like McInnes did when he took over from Brown - was supposed to wait until the summer, but insisted in coming in after the split). It'll certainly be a good test of his character.

One thing in his favour is that Hornby is returning from injury and prior to his injury there was a brief glimpse that he was getting up to speed. Kamberi needs someone to work off - he's largely useless without that - and I think of we can get one or two goals the pressure will be off the players a little. 

Realistically, is it not the case that there will be some amount of time before he can actually be allowed in and around the players...approx 2 weeks? Which gives perhaps sufficient time for his team to tidy up any loose ends at their clubs and join him so it all happens in a one’er. 
i’m not sure what the current rules are regarding travel that’s not asssociated with European competition or where he is at the moment etc but I would have thought he will require a Covid test, then a period of time waiting on results and before he can get on a plane, then a further quarantine period in Scotland prior to meeting the players etc???

I could be wrong with this but by default there may be a wee window of time that actually helps him and his proposed team of guys. 

27 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

Realistically, is it not the case that there will be some amount of time before he can actually be allowed in and around the players...approx 2 weeks? Which gives perhaps sufficient time for his team to tidy up any loose ends at their clubs and join him so it all happens in a one’er. 
i’m not sure what the current rules are regarding travel that’s not asssociated with European competition or where he is at the moment etc but I would have thought he will require a Covid test, then a period of time waiting on results and before he can get on a plane, then a further quarantine period in Scotland prior to meeting the players etc???

I could be wrong with this but by default there may be a wee window of time that actually helps him and his proposed team of guys. 

The England boy won't join until after the Euros and our assistant manager will weirdly be playing against us and others for the remainder of the season. Glass will have had his tests in preparation, and he's got family over here so will have at least temporary accommodation after his two week quarantine. I'm guessing his family were all geared up ready for him to move. We've got plenty of time, so I'd expect him to be in for the next league game. After that, ten remaining fixtures for him to get his ideas in to practice.

You're probably right Rico  but part of me wants to just wright off this season altogether and get him in during the summer.

Normally it would be best to see out this season and assess the playing staff etc. but I would say that most of them will be on their way out and the last thing we want is Glass having a losing run with a bunch of sulking players.

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

I'll give you the comical defending early doors in that game but for me the game changer in terms of our season was the loss of Watkins at the start of November.

Prior to that we were on one of our best starts to a league season for twenty years (based on points per game) 

I agree Watkins was a miss but he was only just in the door when he got injured after a few excellent performances.

McKenna was our pivotal player. Lewis has been terrible since and he’s meant to be the captain.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

I agree Watkins was a miss but he was only just in the door when he got injured after a few excellent performances.

McKenna was our pivotal player. Lewis has been terrible since and he’s meant to be the captain.

Kind of agree.The style of play at the start of the season drew attention away from the defence,which was then exposed to reality after we started losing our main attackers

5 hours ago, tup1 said:

The day it was announced we got gubbed 3-0 by Motherwell, the game being over after 8 minutes of comical defending.

That set the tone for the rest of this crap season. We've been rudderless ever since. We've been defending like amateurs at times and we can't score.

Disagree 

We’ve had the occasional blip defensively (Ross County away, ‘Well at home), but generally been ok - stats back that up.

Once Watkins, Wright & Hedges disappeared we’ve been lamentable going forward.

We need pace & creativity in the team, and “legs” and energy if we are to become a “high press” team. 

1 hour ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Disagree 

We’ve had the occasional blip defensively (Ross County away, ‘Well at home), but generally been ok - stats back that up.

Once Watkins, Wright & Hedges disappeared we’ve been lamentable going forward.

We need pace & creativity in the team, and “legs” and energy if we are to become a “high press” team. 

That's not the team I've been watching.

Lewis has been a jellyfish, any high balls and he's all over the place, Considine back to being dire, Hoban a bit of a donkey, and Taylor just complete rubbish.

McKenna was the glue that held the team together. If he'd left in the summer we might be looking at relegation just now.

44 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Don said:

Reports saying 12 players out of contract at end of season, that's gonna be alot easier showing a few of them the door in order to bring in hopefully some quality.

Imo theres maybe 5 I'd keep, Lewis, Ferguson, Mcrorie, Mcgeoch & Hedges. 

Aye, there’s 9 contracted players out of contract & 4 currently on loan so potentially 13 leaving.

Probably looking at up to 10 players coming in with a couple of youngsters promoted. 

Who’s Head of Recruitment now? Has Russ Richardson gone too? 
I’d wager we’ll get a couple of loans from Atlanta, which fills me with dread. 

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

Lewis has been a jellyfish, any high balls and he's all over the place, Considine back to being dire, Hoban a bit of a donkey, and Taylor just complete rubbish.

McKenna was the glue that held the team together. If he'd left in the summer we might be looking at relegation just now.

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

Taylor arguably has been our best defender this season. 

But hey ho don't let the facts get in the way of an agenda

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tup1 said:

Hate to shite on yer fash, but yer talking out of yer airse. 

McKenna played 3.5 games for us this season. Won two, lost one and were drawing in the game he was subbed at half time. At the very worst we'd have been six points behind where we are now. He had little bearing on the games we won from memory. His head was up his covid airse as I recall. Scoring one goal this year is clearly the issue.

I wonder if Wright will regret his move to the hun now?

Probably not.

Anyway, I hope Glass gets players in before the last minute of each window.

That always annoyed me and I understand players/agents etc have to choose the best offers coming in but ffs surely we can set deals on the table and say take it or leave it by such a date.

McInnes reeked of desperation with signings.That was perhaps down to a lack of financial power therefore had to search drastically for bargains.

I really hope things change with that so players can be brought into the team earlier.

2 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Probably not.

That always annoyed me and I understand players/agents etc have to choose the best offers coming in but ffs surely we can set deals on the table and say take it or leave it by such a date.

McInnes reeked of desperation with signings.That was perhaps down to a lack of financial power therefore had to search drastically for bargains.

I really hope things change with that so players can be brought into the team earlier.

The noises coming from Cormack are suggesting that Glass will be given money. Cormack has put his neck on the line with this appointment so he will have to do everything he can to make it a success. He actually said in his interview that he thought the fans would be excited in the next few weeks, they must have something lined up other than Broonie and the boy Russell. I think that they must have had talks with players about pre-contracts. Strange thing to do ahead of appointing the new manager.....

3 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Probably not.

The last window was nothing to do with McInnes.

He was raging he was scrabbling about on the last day signing three on loan.

Cormack clearly blocked things earlier in the window.

”There are a lot of things am no happy aboot” was his direct quote... that was clearly one of them. 

2 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

The last window was nothing to do with McInnes.

He was raging he was scrabbling about on the last day signing three on loan.

Cormack clearly blocked things earlier in the window.

”There are a lot of things am no happy aboot” was his direct quote... that was clearly one of them. 

I was talking about every window.

It was ridiculous how we always seemed to wait til the last minute.

Not every loan or signing has to be that way surely.

On 23/03/2021 at 02:41, LA-Don said:

Yes and no. I’d compare brown to aitken so yes, but that was aitken supporting god. glass to willie Miller??? Miller was as much, if not more of a leader than aitken. What the fuck does glass bring???

We nearly got relegated under Miller.

Being a leader doesn't automatically make you a good manager. 

On 23/03/2021 at 18:03, RicoS321 said:

He's employing his mate in a preordained process. I can almost guarantee that Glass was lined up to be manager the minute Cormack walked in the door.

Just how close are Glass & Cormack? According to Tam McManus, who is a lot closer to Glass than Cormack, he said Glass told him the two had only ever met once previously. I think people presume Cormack is close friends with everyone in Atlanta.

Whether they are close or not, the notion that he's just giving his mate a job is nonsense. Since Cormack has been at the club, the single biggest criticism he has had to face - almost on a weekly basis - has been him backing McInnes. He's under no illusions how much the success of the manager impacts on him. Therefore, he's going to only appoint a guy he is convinced is going to be a success, not because he's worried the Atlanta 2 coach is struggling to put food on the table.

Maybe he has been earmarking Glass for a while. I'd say that's a good thing. He's got a strategy for the club and how he wants the team to play. 

8 hours ago, BigAl said:

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

Taylor arguably has been our best defender this season. 

But hey ho don't let the facts get in the way of an agenda

Ash Taylor is fucking shite. Him winning a few headers in what has been a very poor Scottish Premiership this season should not make us forget that up against decent opposition he is consistently shown up.

6 minutes ago, Panda said:

We nearly got relegated under Miller.

Being a leader doesn't automatically make you a good manager. 

Just how close are Glass & Cormack? According to Tam McManus, who is a lot closer to Glass than Cormack, he said Glass told him the two had only ever met once previously. I think people presume Cormack is close friends with everyone in Atlanta.

Whether they are close or not, the notion that he's just giving his mate a job is nonsense. Since Cormack has been at the club, the single biggest criticism he has had to face - almost on a weekly basis - has been him backing McInnes. He's under no illusions how much the success of the manager impacts on him. Therefore, he's going to only appoint a guy he is convinced is going to be a success, not because he's worried the Atlanta 2 coach is struggling to put food on the table.

Maybe he has been earmarking Glass for a while. I'd say that's a good thing. He's got a strategy for the club and how he wants the team to play. 

Ash Taylor is fucking shite. Him winning a few headers in what has been a very poor Scottish Premiership this season should not make us forget that up against decent opposition he is consistently shown up.

You are missing my point entirely. The comment posted was that brown and his personality/presence/reputation or whatever would possibly overshadow/undermine Glass. What does Glass bring to the table was the question. A reference and comparison was made to Roy Aitken and I was pointing out that while aitken was a strong leader/personality/presence, there was no way he overshadowed willie Miller. That’s all.