Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

21 hours ago, HaarDon said:

You can see whatever you want about Glass as an inspiring coach or changing players for the better.

However, his record is utter shite.

He's been in management for 2 and a half years and not proven to be successful yet.

He hasn't been in management for two and a half years. It's not as if Atlanta & Atlanta 2 are separate clubs and he has free reign over signings and tactics.

He's running the reserves. His job isn't to get results. His job is to turn these players into first team players and to implement the tactics of the manager (which was Frank de Boer, who was sacked for being shite).

The only time he was in management was when he was in interim charge, but he couldn't sign players, had players injured, and due to a few factors he had little time to actually work with them on the training ground. Even so the general feeling was the performances were improving towards the end.

I wouldn't judge him on his results. I'd judge him on how good a coach he is, and he's very highly thought of there.

14 hours ago, Kowalski said:

Is it really fair to say Stephen Glass “knows” Scottish football? He hasn’t played here since 2010, has never managed here, and appears to have spent a lot of time out of the country since 2012.  Having PPV access to games on TV doesn’t necessarily mean he “knows” Scottish football. 

I don’t get the clamour for an inexperienced manager with a very poor record. Let’s see how he is doing in 5 or 6 years if we’re looking for a manager. 

If he's watching games then he's going to know the league a lot better than bringing in someone who hasn't paid any attention to Scottish football bar a few old firm games on sky.

For example, Ebbe Skovdahl clearly had no idea of the job in front of him.

10 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

You'd have to wonder what Robson would think about Brown coming in too? He'd be better off moving on if there's no obvious route to management for him, assuming that's what he's after (which I always had). I'm not sure what Brown offers that he wouldn't.

If Robson offers so much, why are we not reaping the benefits?

7 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Do we really want to be relying on a regressing 36 year old in the centre of our midfield? 

I'd argue that Scott Brown, even at 36, is currently a better player than pretty much all of our midfield.

4 hours ago, sheepheid said:

Am I the only one that wants Scott Brown nowhere near our club...in any capacity?

Coach/assistant - a huge risk due lack of experience, personality and being generally thick as mince.

Player (as some have mentioned) - shades of Keane going from MU to Celtic or Hartley coming to Aberdeen or Jackie Mac coming to Aberdeen. All way past their best in positions where they need legs and by the time these moves were made, their legs had gone.

If Stephen Glass is to be our next manager...let his assistant be someone other than Scott Brown. 

On Roy Keane, there's a video on YouTube of him absolute bossing an Old Firm game at Ibrox. The problem for him at Celtic was his hip, not that he was past it. I'm not aware of any big injuries that Brown is struggling with. They've just got better and younger options now in McGregor & Soro.

Considering how our midfield regularly folds against the Old Firm, I'd be more than happy with Brown in there for those games.

30 minutes ago, Panda said:

He hasn't been in management for two and a half years. It's not as if Atlanta & Atlanta 2 are separate clubs and he has free reign over signings and tactics.

He's running the reserves. His job isn't to get results. His job is to turn these players into first team players and to implement the tactics of the manager (which was Frank de Boer, who was sacked for being shite).

The only time he was in management was when he was in interim charge, but he couldn't sign players, had players injured, and due to a few factors he had little time to actually work with them on the training ground. Even so the general feeling was the performances were improving towards the end.

I wouldn't judge him on his results. I'd judge him on how good a coach he is, and he's very highly thought of there.

If he's watching games then he's going to know the league a lot better than bringing in someone who hasn't paid any attention to Scottish football bar a few old firm games on sky.

For example, Ebbe Skovdahl clearly had no idea of the job in front of him.

I'd argue that Scott Brown, even at 36, is currently a better player than pretty much all of our midfield.

On Roy Keane, there's a video on YouTube of him absolute bossing an Old Firm game at Ibrox. The problem for him at Celtic was his hip, not that he was past it. I'm not aware of any big injuries that Brown is struggling with. They've just got better and younger options now in McGregor & Soro.

Considering how our midfield regularly folds against the Old Firm, I'd be more than happy with Brown in there for those games.

Brown has well documented ankle issues. Also no chance his antics don’t suddenly start attracting red cards once he is not a Celtic player. 

12 minutes ago, Jute said:

Brown has well documented ankle issues. Also no chance his antics don’t suddenly start attracting red cards once he is not a Celtic player. 

Keane played six games in his final season for Man U before signing for Celtic, and hadn't played for four months before his debut v Clyde.

Brown has made 37 appearances this season.

55 minutes ago, Panda said:

Eh? Are Celtic reaping the benefits of Scott brown's coaching? What are you expecting? When do you ever hear of the good work of a youth team coach? The point is that Robson was brought in/kept on with the idea that he would progress with us. If he's being overtaken by a player with little or no coaching experience then we should look to remove him from the payroll. It reeks of the lack of planning at the club. If Robson isn't good enough to take on the assistant role at this stage then he's not going to be. The whole point in having Glass is that it's a planned, "internal" appointment. Brown as assistant is just making it up as you go along. 

I don't believe we'll get a good season out of Brown as a player. It was visible in the last game we played against them. Brown couldn't manage the ninety. That's in a team that can carry him in a three/five. He's simply of no use in our games against sides we expect to beat, where we need a sharp midfielder capable of covering ground. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Ok then, 26 months head coach of both.

His job isn't to get results as head coach of a football team?

Then why would he be any good to us as a manager?

Edited by HaarDon

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Ok then, 26 months head coach of both.

His job isn't to get results as head coach of a football team?

Then why would he be any good to us as a manager?

Did you read a single word of my post before replying?

10 minutes ago, Panda said:

Did you read a single word of my post before replying?

Yeah.

You said he hasn't been in management for 2 and a half years.

He's been in management for nearly 2 and a half years.

What's your point?

Did you read mine?

11 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

The last time I can recall an angeing outfield player coming to the dons and making a real impact was a Craig Brewster. 
40 years old but scored 4 goals in his 9 games and set up Barry Nicholson's equaliser at Tynecastle.

Honourable mention goes to a 34 year old Paul Hartley (8 goals in 32 games) but under McGhee he was doomed

It takes a special type of outfield player to keep going into their later years and whilst they can have a fantastic season age 36, the drop off in their ability, fitness and indeed attitude the following season can be (scarily) rapid making everyone wish they had retired from top flight football on a high. The smart players knows when its time to either completely call it quits, or drop down to lower league football for a few years while they work out what they want to do when they stop playing.

7 goals were from pens

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Eh? Are Celtic reaping the benefits of Scott brown's coaching?

Did you miss Celtic winning a quadruple treble? I'd say as a captain and an influence on players at the club he's certainly had a big part to play in that. You're dismissing him as a coach without having any knowledge of how good a coach he actually is.

The point is, people on here are saying he has no coaching experience. You yourself have said he has "little or no coaching experience". He's been helping coach their U20s as far back as 6/7 years ago, and has done both his B & A licence badges.

The point is that Robson was brought in/kept on with the idea that he would progress with us. If he's being overtaken by a player with little or no coaching experience then we should look to remove him from the payroll. It reeks of the lack of planning at the club. If Robson isn't good enough to take on the assistant role at this stage then he's not going to be. The whole point in having Glass is that it's a planned, "internal" appointment. Brown as assistant is just making it up as you go along.

If Stephen Glass is the manager, then he should be able to pick who he wants to work with, not told he has to use Barry Robson because Derek McInnes may or may not have made some promise to him.

Considering how poor we've been at so many things - set pieces, scoring, pressing, creating chances - I don't think an overhaul of our coaching team is a bad thing.

7 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Yeah.

You said he hasn't been in management for 2 and a half years.

He's been in management for nearly 2 and a half years.

What's your point?

Did you read mine?

That would mean Paul Sheerin has been a manager for years then, since he's been running the U20s.

Aberdeen's U20 results are largely irrelevant. It's about developing the players and preparing them for the first team.

That's what Glass' job has been at Atlanta 2. 

21 minutes ago, Panda said:

That would mean Paul Sheerin has been a manager for years then, since he's been running the U20s.

Aberdeen's U20 results are largely irrelevant. It's about developing the players and preparing them for the first team.

That's what Glass' job has been at Atlanta 2. 

Glass has been head coach/manager of a football team who develop players and prepare them for the first team.

So is he still a manager as I correctly said?

It's still not a great CV for him to be manager of AFC.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Chris Wilder. Just got the sack at Sheffield Utd. This season apart he seems to have had a pretty successful managerial career. I don't know if he would come and my only reservation is that he signed Ollie Mcburnie but maybe worth a look.

1 hour ago, DantheDon said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Chris Wilder. Just got the sack at Sheffield Utd. This season apart he seems to have had a pretty successful managerial career. I don't know if he would come and my only reservation is that he signed Ollie Mcburnie but maybe worth a look.

I don't think Wilder will be in our league to be honest Dan.

Should we potetially be interested, yes.

Are we likely to attract him if we were serious, highly doubtful.

If he were to come north of the border, I think it would be to Celtic or dare I suggest as Gerrard's replacement at the other erse cheek.

4 hours ago, DantheDon said:

Not a chance we’re attracting an EPL manager. 
He’ll be looking a lot higher than Aberdeen. 
Good championship clubs with aspirations of the Premier League will look at him

Agreed. 
after the dons my second team are Newcastle United and provided we survive, I’d love to see Wilder take over from Bruce next season. 

I think this is why Cormack and Aberdeen need to try something different. We’ve no chance of attracting Wilder or any other EPL manager and in reality the SPL mediocre managers that have been mentioned are not surprising.

if you offer me that or Taking a chance on Glass or another youngster, I’d prefer we go that route than settle for a Goodwin, Robinson, holt, Hughes option. 

10 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

Agreed. 
after the dons my second team are Newcastle United and provided we survive, I’d love to see Wilder take over from Bruce next season. 

I think this is why Cormack and Aberdeen need to try something different. We’ve no chance of attracting Wilder or any other EPL manager and in reality the SPL mediocre managers that have been mentioned are not surprising.

if you offer me that or Taking a chance on Glass or another youngster, I’d prefer we go that route than settle for a Goodwin, Robinson, holt, Hughes option. 

Glass is five years older than Goodwin, and two years older than McInnes was when he joined the club.

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Did you miss Celtic winning a quadruple treble? I'd say as a captain and an influence on players at the club he's certainly had a big part to play in that. You're dismissing him as a coach without having any knowledge of how good a coach he actually is.

The point is, people on here are saying he has no coaching experience. You yourself have said he has "little or no coaching experience". He's been helping coach their U20s as far back as 6/7 years ago, and has done both his B & A licence badges.

If Stephen Glass is the manager, then he should be able to pick who he wants to work with, not told he has to use Barry Robson because Derek McInnes may or may not have made some promise to him.

Considering how poor we've been at so many things - set pieces, scoring, pressing, creating chances - I don't think an overhaul of our coaching team is a bad thing.

I think it is a bad thing. McInnes' failure shouldn't be a failure of everyone in a well run club. If we're not seeing the progression required then we move them on. If Robson wasn't at the required standard, he should have been moved on before now. Glass is being promoted way above his current standing, I'd suggest that we as a club are in a better position to pick his assistant, or should be if we had any sense of a plan. He's picking his mate, which may or may not be a good thing (I've no problem with Brown as such, just the whim on which he's being appointed). If Glass is coming anywhere near pittodrie, it should be as part of a well organised club that transcends his management. Each position has its role and metrics to guage that role. If that requires a dof above, then great. This nonsense that we rip everything out and start again (I know that's not what you're suggesting) each managerial change isn't the way to run a club. If Robson was part of a transition process - which was mentioned when he was kept on - then he's either failed, or we're failing him. I appreciate that it was pre-Cormack but these are exactly the preparations that should have been made prior to firing McInnes. If McInnes has been working with someone not good enough over the years, then the club should have been able to guage that and deal with it. We don't want a club built round a manager, and there's a massive opportunity with Glass to rectify that.

Regardless of who the replacement is, really surprised at the action Cormack has taken.  There is a real lack of foresight.  If he knew he was going to be dispensing with McInnes why was the new manager not ready to go in the door before McInnes was out the end of Merkland Road?  Many in the press have uttered the point that McInnes should have been given until the end of the season because who is to say he would not have managed to overtake Hibs and grab third place.  Why then are we (seemingly) writing off this season by putting a novice team in charge until the end of the season when third place is deemed so important and we still have the Scottish Cup to compete in?  Leaving it until summer until a new man is in place is jeopardising not only a potentially good finish to this season but also handicapping us getting a flying start to next season.  The new manager will have to navigate a European tie before he even gets his feet under the desk.  So much has been said about the need to win trophies yet this year's cup is so unimportant that we will just chuck the reserve team coach in charge for it?  Bizarre.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Glass has been head coach/manager of a football team who develop players and prepare them for the first team.

So is he still a manager as I correctly said?

No. A manager would be signing players, implementing his own tactics, picking his own backroom team. 

Surely you can tell the difference between a manager and a coach who is working under another manager?

12 minutes ago, Panda said:

No. A manager would be signing players, implementing his own tactics, picking his own backroom team. 

Surely you can tell the difference between a manager and a coach who is working under another manager?

Lmao who is manager of Atlanta 2?

Surely you can Google that or call them direct and find out Glass is yeah?

I think it is a bad thing. McInnes' failure shouldn't be a failure of everyone in a well run club. If we're not seeing the progression required then we move them on. If Robson wasn't at the required standard, he should have been moved on before now. Glass is being promoted way above his current standing, I'd suggest that we as a club are in a better position to pick his assistant, or should be if we had any sense of a plan. He's picking his mate, which may or may not be a good thing (I've no problem with Brown as such, just the whim on which he's being appointed). If Glass is coming anywhere near pittodrie, it should be as part of a well organised club that transcends his management. Each position has its role and metrics to guage that role. If that requires a dof above, then great. This nonsense that we rip everything out and start again (I know that's not what you're suggesting) each managerial change isn't the way to run a club. If Robson was part of a transition process - which was mentioned when he was kept on - then he's either failed, or we're failing him. I appreciate that it was pre-Cormack but these are exactly the preparations that should have been made prior to firing McInnes. If McInnes has been working with someone not good enough over the years, then the club should have been able to guage that and deal with it. We don't want a club built round a manager, and there's a massive opportunity with Glass to rectify that.

Most clubs allow the new manager to pick his own assistant. Aberdeen doing the same isn't a failure on their part.

55 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Regardless of who the replacement is, really surprised at the action Cormack has taken.  There is a real lack of foresight.  If he knew he was going to be dispensing with McInnes why was the new manager not ready to go in the door before McInnes was out the end of Merkland Road?  Many in the press have uttered the point that McInnes should have been given until the end of the season because who is to say he would not have managed to overtake Hibs and grab third place.  Why then are we (seemingly) writing off this season by putting a novice team in charge until the end of the season when third place is deemed so important and we still have the Scottish Cup to compete in?  Leaving it until summer until a new man is in place is jeopardising not only a potentially good finish to this season but also handicapping us getting a flying start to next season.  The new manager will have to navigate a European tie before he even gets his feet under the desk.  So much has been said about the need to win trophies yet this year's cup is so unimportant that we will just chuck the reserve team coach in charge for it?  Bizarre.

It would have been worse surely had Cormack been speaking to potential managers while McInnes was still in place? 

There's every chance McInnes was told he could remain until the end of the season and declined. Cant imagine it'd be much fun going in front of the media to explain you've been sacked but are carrying on, likewise the players might lose respect for you. He also probably doesn't want another fourth place finish on his record.

If it is Glass, then Aberdeen have actually moved very quickly here. Compare that to Hearts and how long it took then to get Daniel Stendal, Rangers when McInnes turned them down and they went the rest of the season with Graeme Murty, and Celtic who sacked Lennon a week before McInnes yet appear no closer to appointing someone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Lmao who is manager of Atlanta 2?

Surely you can Google that or call them direct and find out Glass is yeah?

image.thumb.png.1bb4d8525fd9e9009bbf49d5e21a6ddd.png

Taken from https://www.essentiallysports.com/manager-vs-head-coach-real-boss/
'A manager is a part of a football team who has complete authority over the running and functioning of the team. He has the autonomy to choose his supporting staff, along with the provision to add players to the team if he deems it necessary. He is the one in-charge, and he makes sure the team gets the results. Sir Alex Ferguson is the best example of a manager you can find- he made sure he got the players he wanted for the team and had complete authority over his first team selection, along with a select few of his supporting staff who used to aid him during training.'

'A head coach, rather, is like a teen studying. All though he is completely responsible for what he does in school, his parents dictate what he  does outside of it. A head coach is only given the responsibility of ensuring his team putting a good performance in the match they are playing. That includes the likes of choosing a first team and training the players in specific sets of routines required for their position in the team. The management of the team is under the club board, and any player who joins or leaves the team does so on their calling, and not the coach. It’s like running on the beach with heavy ankle weights.'

So the answer is 'no one' is the 'manager' of Atlanta 2