Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

8 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Agree with most of that Rico re the new manager.  The hun recruitment thing is a total myth though.  If you look at their comings and goings over the last three seasons they have had a horrendous amount of players leave having failed to deliver anything.  The reason they have succeeded is because they have just continued to throw money at it until they eventually ended up with eleven good players.  The ratio of good buys to bad is probably no better than ours.  Celtic is the same, for every Edouard there is a Scott Allan, Shayne Duffy and Jack Hendry.

Aye, you're probably right. I was really meaning the last couple of seasons and I thought they'd hit over 50% rate, which is a success in my book, but I'm probably wrong on that. That's the thing, recruitment really isn't easy and expecting anything more than three in every five signings to be successful is unfair. Over the last three seasons our success rate was below that, but also we had a number of players who were of almost zero use that negatively impacted our youth player opportunities. A manager like Neil would stand a better chance of getting that ratio of failed signings down, but I think we also need to identify the weaknesses in our backroom that led to poor signing strategy.

2 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

What would be the point of Neil though who took a team from 9th to 16th?

The reasons I stated. Every manager fails at some point, as do the majority of players. It doesn't turn them into bad managers. Rooney was excellent for us despite failing previously, and a hundred others. McInnes failed at Bristol but was successful when he came here, and will probably be successful elsewhere too. Often it just needs the right fit and a new lease of life and a player or manager will start firing again.

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

The reasons I stated. Every manager fails at some point, as do the majority of players. It doesn't turn them into bad managers. Rooney was excellent for us despite failing previously, and a hundred others. McInnes failed at Bristol but was successful when he came here, and will probably be successful elsewhere too. Often it just needs the right fit and a new lease of life and a player or manager will start firing again.

I think Neill will take a break for a couple of months & get a decent club in England in the summer. 
He’ll still have a relatively good reputation down there, that someone the size of an Ipswich/Sunderland type of club will appoint (not them as they have new managers, but that kind of stature). 

He’s not even 40 yet & in the main done well.

He’d see it as a come down to come back to Scotland so early.... maybe after another failure he might not have a choice, but he will just now. 

Brace yourselves for the Cormack selling of Stephen Glass next week ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jute said:

Think we have to ask the question of Neil. People do change their minds about things. Neil’s style of football is different to McInnes and he will have the contacts in England and Scotland to bring in the players we need for squad rebuild quickly. 

Oh absolutely mate and I would pleased with his appointment. Can see Robson fitting very well into his management team too 

40 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Oh absolutely mate and I would pleased with his appointment. Can see Robson fitting very well into his management team too 

I’d be happy with Robson as an assistant. In regards to Neil, I’m sure mcinnes saw Bristol as a step to bigger things in England but it didn’t pan out that way. I honestly think we’re an attractive job and Neil would be crazy not to consider it......chance for trophies, European experience, a new training ground, and an enthusiastic chairman ready to put his stamp in things. Or he can go to Rotherham, Wycombe, gillingham or the likes.....

The whole dream team thing smacks a bit of trying to cover too many bases due to a lack of confidence in their own decision-making - get two inexperienced managers and maybe one will be good, bring Brown in as a player at the same time and maybe we can sell it to the fans as improving the squad, etc.

There aren't many examples of this kind of arrangement working (i.e. the Assistant Manager arguably having a higher profile than the manager) and if it was going to work then you'd expect the two coaches to at least know each other beforehand - have Glass and Brown even had a conversation yet? It has mixed messages, disorganisation and disaster written all over it, particularly given Brown's personality.

37 minutes ago, Madbadteacher said:

Is bringing in Brown not akin the when we brought in Aitken?

Yes and no. I’d compare brown to aitken so yes, but that was aitken supporting god. glass to willie Miller??? Miller was as much, if not more of a leader than aitken. What the fuck does glass bring???

Edited by LA-Don
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Madbadteacher said:

Is bringing in Brown not akin the when we brought in Aitken?

In some ways it's similar, for me the problem is that Miller in this case had a huge amount of status with the players that Glass isn't going to have. If you have an assistant who has a higher profile than the manager does then that just spells disaster for me, particularly if the two of them aren't very close to begin with.

I also hope it doesn't go the same way because Aitken was a complete disaster - he's pretty much the epitome of what Cormack was talking about last week about us wasting huge transfer fees on bad singings in the 90s. He won a trophy but spent £3.6 million (about £7 million in today's money) trying to build a squad and left us as relegation fodder shortly afterwards. Probably carries more blame than just about anyone for the 15 years of dross we all experienced from the mid-90s onwards.

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Some preferred this by the sounds of it.

Fucking shocking.

Same old mediocrity.

I can assure you I'm far from convinced by this move should it happen but I wouldn't describe it as even remotely mediocre. Mediocre is bringing the likes of  Alex fucking Miller in (I really don't like violence but if I ever met him I would have to fight the urge not to deck him in sight).

• Like 1

Regardless of what you think of brown he's force of nature and would raise the profile of the club a fair bit.  There will be plenty of players out there that would be more interested in signing for us to work with him.  I can understand why many are far from happy at the prospect of Scott brown at the club but objectively speaking can any of you honestly say you don't think he's a really good leader?  

Re glass, If you listen to the here we go podcast where they get atlantas club commentator on he goes really in depth into what glass has been up to.  This guy came across as very switched on and not only did he speak highly of glass he said that was the feeling about him in the upper echelons of the club.  When de boer was binned and glass stepped in as caretaker until the end of the season he was seen as a solid pair of hands by all concerned and not as a risky decision.   He was also very clear that glass's remit with atlanta 2 was to develop players for the first team and results were basically irrelevant.  In short if this does happen, whilst I'm yet to be convinced by the move, the half full side of me can see potential. It's certainly something different. 

No doubt this move has plenty of risk attached but.... my biggest criticism of Mcinnes was he was way too conservative.  As such there's a big part of me that admires cormack for at least being prepared to roll the dice.  The only other thought I have is that cormack did not get to where he has in life by hiring yes men.  He'll have done his due diligence.  

Glass would not have been my choice as manager but if he is the chosen one then good luck to him.  Cormack is a prudent businessman and it is partly his money at stake so he must see something in him that makes him think Glass can be a success as there are plenty other "safer" candidates he could have appointed instead.

5 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

I also hope it doesn't go the same way because Aitken was a complete disaster - he's pretty much the epitome of what Cormack was talking about last week about us wasting huge transfer fees on bad singings in the 90s. He won a trophy but spent £3.6 million (about £7 million in today's money) trying to build a squad and left us as relegation fodder shortly afterwards. Probably carries more blame than just about anyone for the 15 years of dross we all experienced from the mid-90s onwards.

Disagree with this.  Remember the state we were in before Aitken arrived?  We were doomed and he saved the club from first division football.  Despite what Miller did for the club as a player he was getting us relegated that season.

Thank god Cormack went through his process, otherwise we could have appointed a manager of zero experience and an assistant known for throwing his toys out of the pram when things don't go his way who also accused our right back of lying about being racially abused. No wonder Logan was off golfing at the weekend. 

Hopefully we'll get someone in above them to direct things, Cormack is in Atlanta and doesn't have the ability regardless. 

If we can get a good season out of Brown (I have serious doubts) then that'll be key to his success as I don't believe that he has the temperament or intelligence for the assistant role. Putting him in our midfield might actually do wonders for Ferguson as Brown will force him to do all the legwork which is what he needs and allow McRorie to move back when ash moves on. However it could go the other way very quickly too, and we're left with a player lamenting the end of his career, at odds with the manager for telling him so and finding that being a good player has no bearing on your coaching ability. He seems to have a lot of respect for Glass, given he was his mentor at Hibs, so hopefully he'll keep him in line. 

Fuck knows, it might work.

Can't in all honesty say that my excitement radar has even twitched at this potential development.

Given the fact that we are alleged to have had well into three figures of applicants, is the best option really a guy with zero experience that just happens to be mates with the chairman and a dyed in the wool Celtic man who will be off back there at the first opportunity if he appears to have anything about him in man management and coaching department.

I don't wish to go on too much before it is even confirmed, but I'm going to take a lot of convincing on this one. Will as ever however be delighted to be proved wrong and will readily admit to being so, if indeed it proves to be the case.

So the manager of an MLS development team was the best candidate for the job out of the alleged 100 plus applicants. Sure he was. Cormack’s puppet installed. This just reeks of jobs for the boys.

TLG of course the Atlanta employee talked up another Atlanta employee. Hardly an Independent assessment. 

As for Brown if he was such a great leader why has he not been able to get his fellow Victims to give a fuck this year and why did he not show leadership in refusing to defend the racist Tonev. Just another jobs for the boys appointment. 

Really hope I am wrong but this has total disaster written all over it.

At a minimum there must be an experienced director of football appointed to deal with recruitment who has experience of British and European markets. 

Regardless of whether both are complete coaching novices, if Brown plays in the team we will show an instant improvement.

Too much is made of coaching. It's all about the football for me.

If we change to a winning team I don't care what Brown has done in the past, I'll take it. This team at the moment are complete dross so I'd imagine the only way is up.

If accurate. What a load of shit. 

Rather have had Goodwin at least he has experience managing in Scotland and appears to be on the way up. 

As soon as Neil became available, the board should have gone all out to get him. If we end up, within 48 hours of him getting the dunt from Preston, employing the original rumoured, unproven and inexperienced "team" (with Atlanta connections) I think a large section of the support will walk away for a period of time.

Could end up being a very damaging decision. 

5 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

As soon as Neil became available, the board should have gone all out to get him. If we end up, within 48 hours of him getting the dunt from Preston, employing the original rumoured, unproven and inexperienced "team" (with Atlanta connections) I think a large section of the support will walk away for a period of time.

Could end up being a very damaging decision. 

^^^^^

This.

We'd show,an instant improvement if any one of us were in the team.

That's how shite we are.

If it's true and Brown played a season with Griffiths as a rejuvenated striker(the lad does possess great talent) and we built around them, it wouldn't be terrible.

I mean love them or hate them, these 2 can actually play football unlike our team of crap with the over-rated pish like McCrorie and wonder boy Ferguson(aye right)