Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

2 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

You are missing my point entirely. The comment posted was that brown and his personality/presence/reputation or whatever would possibly overshadow/undermine Glass. What does Glass bring to the table was the question. A reference and comparison was made to Roy Aitken and I was pointing out that while aitken was a strong leader/personality/presence, there was no way he overshadowed willie Miller. That’s all. 

No I didn't miss your point.

How do you know Glass isn't a strong presence in the changing room or able to command respect? Who's to say Brown will undermine him? 

By that reckoning, did Miller or McLeish undermine Alex Smith? 

"What does Glass bring to the table", well you're quite clearly making it about his leadership abilities, which you're clearly doubting. What is it that's making you doubt he is any sort of leader?

As for your Aitken/Miller comparison. After Miller was sacked, Aitken was able to cajole a lot more out of the team when he took over from Miller, which suggests a lot of things.

4 minutes ago, Panda said:

No I didn't miss your point.

How do you know Glass isn't a strong presence in the changing room or able to command respect? Who's to say Brown will undermine him? 

By that reckoning, did Miller or McLeish undermine Alex Smith? 

"What does Glass bring to the table", well you're quite clearly making it about his leadership abilities, which you're clearly doubting. What is it that's making you doubt he is any sort of leader?

As for your Aitken/Miller comparison. After Miller was sacked, Aitken was able to cajole a lot more out of the team when he took over from Miller, which suggests a lot of things.

You are missing my point. Miller already had respect from players without doing a thing. He was a legend. Aitken did not overshadow him in any way. Most of our players have no clue who glass is. They know Scott brown. Of course I am questioning his leadership, we know little or nothing of his coaching or managing and we’re a top job if you ask me. Again, some players, maybe many, may never even have heard of Stephen glass so questions will be asked. He has to earn respect, like any manager ultimately, but he doesn’t have the background that Miller had to lean on, whereas Scott brown ultimately already has respect (i’m making an assumption there.)

your argument regarding Alex smith is a totally different situation and a poor comparison. He was a known. And had recently won the Scottish cup. Glass is unknown and has won nothing, never even been a head coach/manager of a pro 1st team.

Don’t get me wrong, I want glass to success without a doubt. Not my first choice but it’s a done deal and I’m 100% behind him. 

Aye it's looking like with the exception of a few that it's going to be practically a "new team" next season, Cormack has said Glass will be backed financially so we can only wait see what he brings in, personally I'm no a great fan of loan deals, prefer guys committing to the club. But 4 defenders & 2/3 quality strikers required imo.

5 hours ago, Panda said:

Just how close are Glass & Cormack? According to Tam McManus, who is a lot closer to Glass than Cormack, he said Glass told him the two had only ever met once previously. I think people presume Cormack is close friends with everyone in Atlanta.

Whether they are close or not, the notion that he's just giving his mate a job is nonsense. Since Cormack has been at the club, the single biggest criticism he has had to face - almost on a weekly basis - has been him backing McInnes. He's under no illusions how much the success of the manager impacts on him. Therefore, he's going to only appoint a guy he is convinced is going to be a success, not because he's worried the Atlanta 2 coach is struggling to put food on the table.

Maybe he has been earmarking Glass for a while. I'd say that's a good thing. He's got a strategy for the club and how he wants the team to play. 

A good interviewer/journalist would be presenting evidence to Tam McManus to prove that he's talking absolute shite. A quick Google images will give you evidence of more than one meeting of the two. I'd be highly skeptical if it was suggested that the training ground and beach photos were from the only two meetings between the pair too. A conspiracy theorist would be asking why either McManus is playing down the relationship, or Glass is to McManus. 

The point is one of process at AFC - I see absolutely nothing wrong with Glass as a person or coach. If Cormack is friends with the player, or has earmarked him for a while then he should have removed himself from the process and let others give an objective view. Somebody asked on twitter or somewhere if fans would have had an issue if we'd appointed another up and coming manager from the premiership or somewhere and I think that gets to the heart of the issue. The obvious difference is that we'd know that candidate was part of a balanced process without prejudice. Was Glass elevated beyond other candidates because of his relationship with the manager? In my opinion, yes. 

There's further evidence too. Listen to the interview with Cormack after Glass' first interview. He says that they whittled down to a shortlist after identifying that the manager had to be "emerging talent". That's a serious case of setting the criteria to fit the decision rather than the other way round. It's as arbitrary as saying that they need to be foreign, or not foreign. There are zero specific attributes that a manager that is an emerging talent has that a manager with experience couldn't. I'm guessing the next item on the filter was "pictured on a mountain bike at Hampden". That's it guys, it's been a fair process, but only one candidate fits the profile of being usable in a number of window based puns. 

Again, my questions are not with Glass, they're with the chairman and our Atlanta relationship. There can be zero defence of the Hernandez debacle, it was a signing double anything we'd done this century. That is all we have to go on with the Atlanta link and it's extremely important that fans raise questions when things aren't transparent. We've just been through a process, over a sustained twenty plus year period, where our previous chairman tried to move us to ridiculous parts of the city to the extent that we had actual fans of the club (and lots of them) saying "we just need to get on board" with a decision to move our club out of the city to the most inappropriate location possible. We now, hopefully, can all see that for the ridiculous decision it was. The Glass appointment isn't in that realm of course, but the relationship with Atlanta is something that none of us understand and isn't transparent. None of us understand the long term goals of the link, how it benefits AFC and in which direction its bias leans. It's critical that fans keep raising these points, and critical that people recognise the difference between questioning a process and questioning a manager. In my view, and based on the evidence, the process was biased. If Atlanta weren't in an English speaking country, we'd be disparagingly comparing it to a Romanov appointment from his base in Lithuania. I don't think we're close to that of course.

Edited by RicoS321

6 hours ago, Panda said:

Ash Taylor is fucking shite. Him winning a few headers in what has been a very poor Scottish Premiership this season should not make us forget that up against decent opposition he is consistently shown up.

Not sure where I said he was any kind of world beater so you're completely twisting what I said.

Ash Taylor may or may not be fucking shite, but my point remains he has been our MOTM on a number of occassions so perhaps that says more about his team mates than it does about him.

6 hours ago, LA-Don said:

You are missing my point. Miller already had respect from players without doing a thing. He was a legend. Aitken did not overshadow him in any way. Most of our players have no clue who glass is. They know Scott brown. Of course I am questioning his leadership, we know little or nothing of his coaching or managing and we’re a top job if you ask me. Again, some players, maybe many, may never even have heard of Stephen glass so questions will be asked. He has to earn respect, like any manager ultimately, but he doesn’t have the background that Miller had to lean on, whereas Scott brown ultimately already has respect (i’m making an assumption there.)

your argument regarding Alex smith is a totally different situation and a poor comparison. He was a known. And had recently won the Scottish cup. Glass is unknown and has won nothing, never even been a head coach/manager of a pro 1st team.

Don’t get me wrong, I want glass to success without a doubt. Not my first choice but it’s a done deal and I’m 100% behind him. 

But, so what?

So they've heard of Scott Brown (a lot may dislike him). They might have to google Glass. It doesn't mean a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. They'll know all about him in a few weeks. 

Our players all knew who McInnes was and didn't bother their arse playing for him.

• 2 months later...
On 10/03/2021 at 13:26, RicoS321 said:

I'd say that Goodwin is as good as any other name I've heard so far, because I think he's good at managing football teams (I thought so when he was with Alloa too).

I'd like to apologise for making this statement.

Curtis fucking Main? Seriously Jim? What shite have you been snorting?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Alex Neil or Steve Clarke

I have decided I’d rather watch us win ugly than watch attractive triangle passing between our central defenders and goalkeeper for half the match.

If the big hoof up the park is inevitable I’d rather it was planned than done in a panic because the spoilsport opposition unfairly decide to press us with their forwards.

That said, I’m still willing to give Glass the benefit of the doubt for now but I’m a bit worried that he’s trying to reinvent our playing style while signing players who have never really played in such a style in their careers.

Unless these signings are known-quantity stop gaps until the recruitment system is in place to identify and sign players with specific attributes to fit the desired playing style.

• 1 year later...