Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The replacement for McLean is McGeouch. Hibs are desperate to get him signing a new deal. Definitely offload KM at 500k and offer Hibs 250k of that to get McGeouch in immediately. Other 250k can go on Devlin.

The McGeouch rumour has been hanging around for a while.

Would be happy enough with getting him in.

Once we get rid of McLean you'll see I was right all along.

It's been like folk backing Langfield because they thought he was the best we could expect to get.

That's bollocks though because, at present, the only replacement options we have for him is O'Connor, Storie or Tansey (County, I ken) - all of whom are worse. We need to sign someone better than all those 3. McInnes isn't great at signings that aren't obivous SPL based ones. He's no world beater, and we can improve on him definitely, but he isn't simple to replace either. I think we'll struggle to bring in someone with little time in January.

Also, at the recent Hibs game, Shinnie and McLean absolutely dominated McGinn and McGeouch. There was no contest. Nor do I think Hibs will let him go in January

I'd take Docherty like. He'd be the one to replace him from the SPL.

PS. I never heard anyone say that Langfield was the best we could expect to get.

Edit: to add, if we're going for either Docherty or McGeouch then we have to act before the weekend. If we're ditching McLean then we can't afford to have a replacement that's cup tied. It could be the difference between getting to a semi or even final having a player in that role. O'Connor isn't getting us there.

McLean may be missed as he drives us on and can switch the play well for us which really stretches our opponents.  That shouldn't be underestimated.

On the flipside, as DM actually said at the weekend, he doesn't score enough and he doesn't create enough for a player of his talents and position.  And that's been the case for the few years he's been with us, which is why I said he "may be missed".  Let's face it, if we get a replacement in who can do the above but add a better end product none of us are going to be pining for Kenny McLean.

I'd take the money from Norwich on the proviso it's reinvested in a suitable replacement.

Kenny is a funny one. I don't think there's any doubting the boy has talent and he obviously caught DM's eye while playing as an attacking midfielder for St Mirren. More often than not he's been played as a holding midfielder which he is not. He had a good scoring record with an inferior team so that suggests we're not getting the best out of him. When he has been given the chance to play his natural game i think he's looked dangerous, he's got a helluva shot on him, he just needs to direct those shots a wee bit better.

Having said all that, DM has been playing the 2nd best left back in the country and a promising attacking midfielder as holding midfielders... this irritates the fuck out of me! Bring in guys to play in these positions and get the guys we already have into their natural positions and i'm certain we'd be getting the best out of everyone.

TWO new holding midfielders please Derek!

Aye, but McLean actually is disciplined enough - for the most part - to play deeper (imagine Christie playing there - for example - if we didn't get anyone to replace McLean?). It's not his best position, but he's better than O'Connor there or Tansey and the like. Against bottom 6 opposition too, we simply shouldn't need two holding midfielders, so it's no bad thing to have a player like McLean how can sort of play both roles.

I agree about McLean's shooting though. Although if he was a better goalscorer he wouldn't be playing for us....

Aye, but McLean actually is disciplined enough - for the most part - to play deeper (imagine Christie playing there - for example - if we didn't get anyone to replace McLean?). It's not his best position, but he's better than O'Connor there or Tansey and the like. Against bottom 6 opposition too, we simply shouldn't need two holding midfielders, so it's no bad thing to have a player like McLean how can sort of play both roles.

I agree about McLean's shooting though. Although if he was a better goalscorer he wouldn't be playing for us....

I remember when this was a minimum requirement for anyone who called themself a midfielder. Now you can be a midfielder that does one or the other.

He's the best we can afford.

Can’t believe all the positive comments about McLean. Where did all this come from?? He’s an attacking midfielder who doesn’t score enough and doesn’t assist enough. He can’t shoot for shit, plus can’t tackle or head the ball. You’ve got McGinn, Christie, and Stewart who can all play #10, with Shinnie, AOC and the new boy all able to play the two deeper position. Fuck, I’d even rather Storie got a chance ahead of a guy who is leaving.

KM will not be the difference between 2nd and 3rd, don’t see the logic there at all. He’s not our captain, leader, play maker, nor heavily influential in defense or attack. He’s not Joe Lewis, no McKenna or Shinnie, those guys would be a loss.

We take 500k if it’s there, complete no brainer for a guy who wants to leave. We all get that, right? He doesn’t want to stay. Transfer funds are limited, that 500k can be used to snap up a pre contract or two. Don’t expect a replacement for him immediately but this is a complete no brainer.

Was down in Cambuslang yesterday where i was talking with my hun loving cousin. He knows Kenny McLean well and he told me Kenny is now talking to Norwich City.

I'm can't say that it's gospel, i'm just repeating what i've been told by my family member who knows him.

It would appear my cousin wasn’t speaking shite.  :eek:

Half a million is aright, at least he wouldn’t be going to sevco and there’s no way we’d have got that from them. Win win imo

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that your post about your cousin is the source for the Sun's scoop  :laughing:

Can’t believe all the positive comments about McLean. Where did all this come from?? He’s an attacking midfielder who doesn’t score enough and doesn’t assist enough. He can’t shoot for shit, plus can’t tackle or head the ball. You’ve got McGinn, Christie, and Stewart who can all play #10, with Shinnie, AOC and the new boy all able to play the two deeper position. Fuck, I’d even rather Storie got a chance ahead of a guy who is leaving.

KM will not be the difference between 2nd and 3rd, don’t see the logic there at all. He’s not our captain, leader, play maker, nor heavily influential in defense or attack. He’s not Joe Lewis, no McKenna or Shinnie, those guys would be a loss.

We take 500k if it’s there, complete no brainer for a guy who wants to leave. We all get that, right? He doesn’t want to stay. Transfer funds are limited, that 500k can be used to snap up a pre contract or two. Don’t expect a replacement for him immediately but this is a complete no brainer.

I think the point is we are severely limited in midfielders as it is, losing one of our first 11 will definitely be felt given the total lack of options to replace him within the squad.

Even with his limitations its not a stretch to say getting rid of McLean without replacing him could well be the difference between 2nd and 3rd. A gaping hole in an already lightweight (almost cobbled together at times) midfield would make maintaining our position very difficult.

Of course taking the £500k is a no brainer, but ONLY if he's adequately replaced straight away.

Of course taking the £500k is a no brainer, but ONLY if he's adequately replaced straight away.

So it isn't a no brainer then.... :thumbsup:

In a nut shell though, fit you said. The replacement has to be in this window, and it has to be before the Scottish cup tie if we're buying SPL in my opinion. Otherwise no deal.

Having a guy "who wants to leave" is nonsense, we're nae little kids - not everyone has to be devoted to AFC for life. Christie wants to leave by your logic. Same for Ball and Stewart. It's not a deal in the modern game. We're nae likely to see a drop in performance for players playing in a good team, that have set high standards, but looking for a contract elsewhere.

Don't agree with that at all. From memory, McLean was scoring more at St Mirren from open play than he does for us. McLean has good footballing technique, but when it comes to shooting it goes out the window.

We're not asking for him to score 20 a season, just a few more from open play. A few more assists. It would hardly make him Delle Alli.

McGinn does all that and more for us, and has done consistently for years (and hopefully that continues).  Granted, McLean isn't always in that role as far up the pitch as McGinn, but the point still stands up - it is not unreasonable to expect his tangible return to have been better for the second best team in the country.

It would appear my cousin wasn’t speaking shite.  :eek:

Half a million is aright, at least he wouldn’t be going to sevco and there’s no way we’d have got that from them. Win win imo

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that your post about your cousin is the source for the Sun's scoop  :laughing:

Aye,doesnt seem to be much more than the Suns speculation,and quotes elsewhere quoting the Sun

So it isn't a no brainer then.... :thumbsup:

In a nut shell though, fit you said. The replacement has to be in this window, and it has to be before the Scottish cup tie if we're buying SPL in my opinion. Otherwise no deal.

Having a guy "who wants to leave" is nonsense, we're nae little kids - not everyone has to be devoted to AFC for life. Christie wants to leave by your logic. Same for Ball and Stewart. It's not a deal in the modern game. We're nae likely to see a drop in performance for players playing in a good team, that have set high standards, but looking for a contract elsewhere.

Having a guy wanting to leave is not nonsense. It’s 500k now or nothing in 5 months. For a club like us that’s huge. Those who feel KM is the difference in league placing, I get your point, but I don’t think he’s that significant and the money now is more important to me. 2nd isn’t guaranteed with him.

With Storie gone now it certainly leaves us thin but it’s two players from Shinnie AOC and the new boy, plus Ball as back up if needed at holding mid. Potentially another loan in if don’t get an immediate replacement.