Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

In fairness for a blatant attempt to unsettle the boy Adkins quotes are fairly respectful.  Hull are a big enough team to turn his head a wee bit, Premier League team last season after all.  I'm obviously biased but looking at it as objectively as possible you would think McKenna would at least want to see the season out at AFC.  Adkins has a reasonable record and would probably give him a chance in the team too but he could be gone  by the summer if he doesn't turn hull around. He's only on an 18 month deal and they are in a bit of a mess.

You wouldn't begrudge him wanting to at least quadruple his wage though and there will be more attention from down south in the summer if he finishes the season strongly given the complete dearth of cb's at the moment.  Probably not to hull though.

Don't think anyone would begrudge him the opportunity in a few years time providing he's signed a decent deal with the club and continues the progress he's shown this season.  I certainly wouldn't anyway. The only thing good about Hull, is the bridge out of there. Neanderthal knuckle draggers.  How long is he signed up until out of interest?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why cant we afford to spend some mobey.

Honestly dont get it.

Debt free- which is great and shareholders worth a few bob or two.

What do you mean? Who are we not buying because of the cash required? May was £400K, with GMS 250K. That's the most we've spent on players in years (this century?). Neither of those are likely to give us a return on that investment (i.e. they won't go elsewhere for more in a few years). All the signs suggest that if McInnes had a target that was going to cost us, the board would fund it.

PS. Manc, McKenna contracted until 2021

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

We're trying to raise £50M to build a new stadium.  Now is not the time to start wasting the money pot on big transfer fees.

The problem with that is that a dutch league 2 players banging them in will cost more than £1M.

We then have no idea how they'll perform in our league too. Lots of players are shite in Scotland that were decent elsewhere. We'd have to be absolutely certain they were going to hack it in the SPL - hence why we generally only spend on players who've done it here before.

You should never spend money on a player unless you can afford one or two more at that price. That way you're not putting all yer eggs in one basket. If the player turns out shite, there's not the same failure. If we spend £1M on a player, that'll be us for a few years. If he's pish, we're fucked. £1M is way too much for our income level.

Personally, I don't think we should spend any more than we make. I don't want us ever to owe money to Milne or anyone else again. It ends in us leaving the city. That's just my opinion of course.

Gossip thing on BBC has the Scottish hun reporting Hull’s initial bid as £300k. If that’s true it lays bare the contempt English have for Scottish players and league as a whole. Fucking disrespectful. I’d hazard we’d be due that in compensation had he been out of contract and if I was McKenna I’d assume they didn’t actually want me that badly.

Rico I take your point.

But surely we have more aspirations than being second or third best forever?

I think it's worth taking the chance.

We aren't st. Mirren ...we are the famous Aberdeen or aren't we??

We need to start taking some gambles and look towards making the league stages of the euros as I keep saying.

We will never do that with the way the team is at the moment.

We are very average and turn in some good performances.

We can't even beat a team that hasn't been in our league for years ffs.

I'm not saying we should beat Celtic with their resources but it's looking pretty grim for us if we are getting offers for players at $300k.

Buying players would mean business not only in our league but surely English clubs with shit offers would up their stakes.

At the moment they know we could accept those fees.

It's a fucking outrage for AFC.

Tres frustrating

We've got a comparatively very good squad which has taken a number of years to build up,and reorganise at times when players have left.Splashing out on strikers from another league,and unproven in ours would be mental.Still think there are plenty goals in May and Rooney,we just havnt managed to get the right perm of players at the right times to give them proper supply.If we can get the right midfield pairing,with Shinnie at left back then working out the combo up front would be easier.

On paper,our options upfront are as good as you'll get at our level,.May,Christie,GMS and Stewart are as intelligent as we've had in years IMO.Hoping were not far off from finding what makes these guys click,though a bit more caution to the wind sometimes might help,esp against the smaller teams,plus as said,they had more faith in, and supply, from Defence and midfield

Rico I take your point.

But surely we have more aspirations than being second or third best forever?

I think it's worth taking the chance.

We aren't st. Mirren ...we are the famous Aberdeen or aren't we??

We need to start taking some gambles and look towards making the league stages of the euros as I keep saying.

We will never do that with the way the team is at the moment.

We are very average and turn in some good performances.

We can't even beat a team that hasn't been in our league for years ffs.

I'm not saying we should beat Celtic with their resources but it's looking pretty grim for us if we are getting offers for players at $300k.

Buying players would mean business not only in our league but surely English clubs with shit offers would up their stakes.

At the moment they know we could accept those fees.

It's a fucking outrage for AFC.

Tres frustrating

Fair doos. I think we missed out massively this season by not getting Moult in order to get us to the group stages of the euros. I think it was a once in a decade chance given the draw. I don't think it'll happen next season. If it does, I still don't think we'll get there by buying a £1M player. We'd have to buy 3 x £1M players in order to get the return (based on current signings where 1 in 3 turn out good), which is in the realms of stupid.

For that, we need to be looking at squad building as elgin says. That means two or three additions at perhaps the £400K mark (or free but on higher wages). We could easily have signed Moult before the Apollon game and then he got injured immediately and we'd have been fucked. I'd have gambled personally, but I can see why we didn't stretch to the £700K or so required. That'd have been the cost of two players in our squad. When you pay that much, you're not only putting pressure on the player but hoping that he doesn't get injured and also putting him at odds with the rest of the team because he's valued so much higher. May comes in at the high end of our budget, but not double the cost of GMS or McLean for example, so he fits in nicely. As we improve, we can expect that to grow to £5-600K as a reasonably fair investment. We have to do it sensibly and incrementally. I'm not sure there'll be players in the £3-500K range that will fulfill our requirements available in January.

By saying "splash out a £1M on a single player" you're setting that benchmark for all our signings, and I don't think we can get there yet. Not even close.

We took £1.3M for Hayes with a year remaining, £300K is not the benchmark for our selling of star players, and that sort of offer is 6 - 8 orders of magnitude too low. The club will ensure that.

You’ve also got to bear in mind that, generally the higher a fee you pay the more the player will ask for in wages. So shelling out £1m for one player is going to lead to him wanting probably double whatever our current top earner is on and that could lead to all sorts of knock on issues. Until we’re ready to spend a relative fortune on the whole squad, not just one player.

BBC gossip claiming we've rejected a second bid from Ull. I daresay, given they  offered a pathetic £300k, initially, it wouldn't be near what we'd want.

Fucking £300k. Pricks. I would've thought that Hull would have been told (politely perhaps) that they were way off the fucking mark with that derisory bid. Even if they quadrupled that bid I'd want them told to gtf fuck. If and when we do accept an offer it should certainly incorporate a percentage of next sale clause.