Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

Could not understand the Tansey signing in the first place as never really impressed by him so happy to see him go. At least we never paid a fee for him. Hopefully this means we have another central midfield player coming in as would not want to rely on Ball and O'Connor as back up there.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this means we have another central midfield player coming in as would not want to rely on Ball and O'Connor as back up there.

To be honest, I wouldn't even want to rely on Shinnie and McLean as the number one option for the remainder of the season. There are games where it will be very beneficial to have Shinnie at left back.

To be honest, I wouldn't even want to rely on Shinnie and McLean as the number one option for the remainder of the season. There are games where it will be very beneficial to have Shinnie at left back.

I honestly don't know if we need Shinnie at left back given the level of opposition. You could argue against Celtic perhaps but he's really needed in midfield for that game. Considine is limited but can contain the rest of our opponents for the most part, but we should be attacking all opponents and not relying on Shinnie at left back anyway. He's needed in midfield for the type of league we're in, in my opinion.

Long term, I'd much rather we signed a new left back than move Shinnie back there. I think he gives us real drive, passion, and leadership from the middle of the park.

Its easier said than done i suppose but i just never understand why we cant search further afield for talent.

There are leagues all over the world so why do we always go for our own pish as mentioned above or irish players.

All mediocre really.

Ill stick my neck out and say we need to sack our scout/s and bring in people with far more vision OR DM needs to do more research.

I mean thats his job right...creating a winning team?

Its easier said than done i suppose but i just never understand why we cant search further afield for talent.

There are leagues all over the world so why do we always go for our own pish as mentioned above or irish players.

All mediocre really.

Ill stick my neck out and say we need to sack our scout/s and bring in people with far more vision OR DM needs to do more research.

I mean thats his job right...creating a winning team?

The scouts are located in particular countries. Sacking a scout for not spotting talent in a country he doesn't work in seems a little harsh!

We search in our own country, because that's where the best return happens. Shinnie, Flood, Robson, Rooney, Hayes, McGinn, McLean, Christie, Stewart, GMS etc were all proven SPL players and that's where you get the most success. Logan and Lewis are two of many more brought in fae down South with no SPL experience that have generally either been terrible or gone home after a decent loan spell. We pay much more than our rivals in the SPL, which means we can cream off some of the best players (less so now with der hun, hibs and edinburgh hun taking a share too) and that is by far the best way to get proven value for money and far less risky. We're struggling to find any stand outs at the moment, hence the Tansey/Storey errors.

There are very few foreigners coming directly from abroad into the SPL these days, and certainly none that are a good example of why it would be a good idea for us. Can you name one in recent seasons that's come into the SPL from abroad that the dons have perhaps missed out on? Long gone are the days where we pay miles more than the other (good) leagues in Europe. A few years ago we were picking up amateurs fae the Dutch third division. The English lower leagues have so many players, it makes total sense to scout down there just in terms of sheer numbers of games that can be taken in within close proximity and available talent. A scout can only be in one place, so where would you suggest as a country? How would you compare that league's style and ability to our own (that actually seems a problem between Scotland and England, where players are good in the SPL but shite down South and vice versa - which suggests a lack of compatibility)?

However, because I couldnt tell you any foreign players available doesnt mean there arent.

I would argue that many countries abroad have far better training facilities than Scotland.

Apologies, I didn't mean name an individual player, I meant name a team that had successfully adopted a strategy of taking foreigners into the SPL. I can't think of anyone.

The point about scouts is that you have to pay them, so they have to reside in the one country (generally speaking) so you have to decide on that country. We simply can't afford to have a reem of scouts in every country in the world so we have to be specific. You could be right about training facilities, but you have to remember that we're not comparing AFC v Everton or some such, we're comparing AFC/SPL v Tranmere or Spanish/Dutch/German second or third tier so the additional gains in terms of facilities probably aren't there at the level we're shopping in. Perhaps Scandinavia might offer us something in that regard, but the level of player over there doesn't seem to eclipse what we have either.

Finally, you think Maynard is good, so I'm not sure you can be trusted to scout for the dons!

Haha rico

Maynard oozes class.you'll all see.

WHOAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA.(evil laugh).

Chidi Nwakali sounds like a foreign digestive disease.

The name itself is fine by me.

And the Mohammed ali song is perfect for him.

"Nwakali......Nwakaaaaaali

He flew up from Manchester

To be a Dandyyyy"

Needs a bit of work,how about 'Nwakali.....Chidi Nwakali'  etc

Either way,he scored a goal once,so I'm in    :thumbsup:

A 20 second video, where only the first 6 seconds are devoted to the goal; the rest some celebration and ads. Disgusting. Also, there are two sounds when he kicks the ball, which suggests to me that it bounced off his shin and then his foot, making it a fluke. Send him back, he's pish.

Did Maynard not score an ace goal in some youtube clip once?

A 20 second video, where only the first 6 seconds are devoted to the goal; the rest some celebration and ads. Disgusting. Also, there are two sounds when he kicks the ball, which suggests to me that it bounced off his shin and then his foot, making it a fluke. Send him back, he's pish.

Did Maynard not score an ace goal in some youtube clip once?