Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get Woodman in on loan that will mean we have 6 players in on loan..... Is there not a cap on how many we can loan?

No.......you are limited to a maximum of 4 loans from clubs in Scotland but you can have as many as you like if they come from other countries.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Looks a bizarre signing and right up there with souness signing George Weah's cousin.  Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

At the risk of sounding racist, is there no young Scottish players that we could have taken a punt on instead?

Looks a bizarre signing and right up there with souness signing George Weah's cousin.  Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

At the risk of sounding racist, is there no young Scottish players that we could have taken a punt on instead?

Bizarre window.

We needed two midfielders and a LB, move on one forward and replace with one who scores goals.

Sign a Nigerian requiring a work permit.

An injured defender.

A 21 year old centre forward with about six games english league two experience who has scored one career goal.

A goalkeeper.

Bizarre window.

We needed two midfielders and a LB, move on one forward and replace with one who scores goals.

Sign a Nigerian requiring a work permit.

An injured defender.

A 21 year old centre forward with about six games english league two experience who has scored one career goal.

A goalkeeper.

Depends on yer use of the word "need". I'd say we only really "needed" a striker and wide player (McGinn) to get us through to the end of the season. The rest of the team can hobble through until the summer with a very good chance of finishing second. Devlin is a bonus if we get some games out of him this season. Hopefully the striker will solve some of the glaring deficiencies up front. Hopefully Nwakali will allow Shinnie to play left back in certain games (though I doubt it, I think he'll be pap). January is about scrabbling by and hoping to pick up a few players  for next season; it's the same every year. We've done okay (apart from Maynard still hanging about).

Depends on yer use of the word "need". I'd say we only really "needed" a striker and wide player (McGinn) to get us through to the end of the season. The rest of the team can hobble through until the summer with a very good chance of finishing second. Devlin is a bonus if we get some games out of him this season. Hopefully the striker will solve some of the glaring deficiencies up front. Hopefully Nwakali will allow Shinnie to play left back in certain games (though I doubt it, I think he'll be pap). January is about scrabbling by and hoping to pick up a few players  for next season; it's the same every year. We've done okay (apart from Maynard still hanging about).

If we are being realistic it's been a strong window. We're not spending much money on players ever, never mind in the inflated and desperate January window.

McGinn - a luxury we arguably didn't need since we replaced him (and Hayes) with GMS & Stewart. A definite upgrade and already contributed with a goal and assists.

Devlin - one of the best up and coming central defenders in the country and accies captain. Plenty of players recover from his surgery, no reason why he cannot excel here. We also have plenty of other players able to play his position until he's fit.

McLean - got money for him and kept him until the summer when he was leaving anyway. I think we've seen in the last two games alone a relieved and pressure free McLean. I've never been a fan but I think he'll have a good second half of the season

Woodman - a talented keeper, someone we'd heard of and has had career success

Cosgrove - replaces Stockley as the big loon to stick up top when we need a different option. Cheap low risk high reward. We also have Rooney, May, McGinn, Stewart who can all play up top so we're not desperate for him to have an immediate impact

Chidi - young talent given an opportunity to shine. We're thin for cover so helps the squad depth but we're not relying on him

Tansey - get healthy and match fit. If he has a strong latter half of the season it's in our hands to keep or sell

Ross - gets valuable experience

We could have punted players (i.e. Maynard) but keeping them gives us depth.

Left back - We have Considine and Shinnie for now but hope to sign a LB in the summer once we punt AOC, Arnie, and possibly even Reynolds. Consi will stay as cheap and easy cover for LB and CB

Center mid - possibly McGeough on a pre contract to replace McLean in the summer

Maybe I'm a glass is half full guy but I think we did ok!

Based on nothing more than watching the kille v sevco game I’d have Mulumbu. I would imagine he is only at Killie because of Clarke though and would have no intention of playing elsewhere in Scotland.

By all account bossed the Tim’s today too.

Would be happy if we brought him in on a free in the summer.

By all account bossed the Tim’s today too.

Would be happy if we brought him in on a free in the summer.

Bordeaux tried to get him on the last day of the window.  Killie have done well to keep hold of him. He supposedly wanted to go but the deal fell through. I'd imagine a similar move will be on the table for him come June.