Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

Have heard the Shinnie rumour but not Mclean.

Struggle to believe about McLean.

Would like to hear of a contract extension for Frank Ross also.

I would think the McLean one may be possible, but still questionable. Look at Hayes, signed then we got a fee and fans were somewhat ok with him going, versus the Ryan Jack departure and how most feel about him now. But then again, does signing to get a fee rule him out of going to the huns?? Don't care if he went there and would be nice to demand money from them, but I'd still prefer to see him do a Jamie Walker and disappear into the English lower leagues.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will have seen us act honourably with Hayes and so could be following suit. Possibly the club has said they will give him a percentage of any fee received to sweeten the deal.

If it happened I don't think it would rule sevco out but it probably would piss them off big style. My guess is he will end up in the English Championship anyway. Leeds or similar.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

In fairness to McLean he has upped his game recently and looks like a player again, would be good if we could keep him until the end of the season because he could be difficult to replace.  It seemed to be Pedro that fancied him so not sure he will definitely end up with the sevconians now.

Cannot see us being able to afford Christie.  The dims always seem to be able to sell on players for a couple of million and I reckon an English championship club would easily stretch to seven figures for him.

In financial terms it would only be worth pushing the boat out transfer fee-wise if the player is going to sign a long term contract.  Pointless paying half a million for a promising player if he is going to leave for nicks in three years time.  We could do it 25 years ago but not post Bosman.

We can't afford christie, tims will want a mill plus for him.  I think we should be looking to see if birmingham will release Stewart for a reasonable sum instead.  He's started to look really good recently and I think he will be a big player for us post split. 

We can't afford christie, tims will want a mill plus for him.  I think we should be looking to see if birmingham will release Stewart for a reasonable sum instead.  He's started to look really good recently and I think he will be a big player for us post split.

I think they will let him come for free in the summer if we agree to take over his contract.

So if Naismith is thinking about joining the Huns or KILMARNOCK ffs.

Should we attempt to sign him up?

Unless he's truly Hunnish and not interested of course.

Hoping to see some signing action this week.

Don't leave it to last minute as per usual DM.

I think we'll only see someone come in now if one or two leave - i.e. Ball and/or Maynard leave.  Ball, as a loan player, probably hasn't played as much as he anticipated and may therefore look to move on. Maynard just hasn't worked, looks way short of what's required and is likely, with McGinn coming in, to fall down the pecking order even more now. Whether we can get another team to take on his contract or pay him up is another matter.

I think it will be another last minute job with others coming in, but we've made the best signing we could have in McGinn so I wouldn't be too anxious about the rest of it.  Yes, there are other areas needing strengthening but as others have pointed out, there's not a lot of value to be had in January.

Have to say a three of McGinn - Stewart - Christie behind Rooney would be fantastic to see.

I think we'll only see someone come in now if one or two leave - i.e. Ball and/or Maynard leave.  Ball, as a loan player, probably hasn't played as much as he anticipated and may therefore look to move on. Maynard just hasn't worked, looks way short of what's required and is likely, with McGinn coming in, to fall down the pecking order even more now. Whether we can get another team to take on his contract or pay him up is another matter.

I think it will be another last minute job with others coming in, but we've made the best signing we could have in McGinn so I wouldn't be too anxious about the rest of it.  Yes, there are other areas needing strengthening but as others have pointed out, there's not a lot of value to be had in January.

Have to say a three of McGinn - Stewart - Christie behind Rooney would be fantastic to see.

Agree, not a great window to strengthen. I really want to see what a front four from MCGinn, GMC, Stewart, Christie, and May can do. Other than Stewart that’s some real pace with plenty of skill. Hopefully that gets rid of the long ball shit we’ve seen too much of.

Was down in Cambuslang yesterday where i was talking with my hun loving cousin. He knows Kenny McLean well and he told me Kenny is now talking to Norwich City.

I'm can't say that it's gospel, i'm just repeating what i've been told by my family member who knows him.

Was a bit meh when Tansey signed but he had done well at ICT so thought it was a worthwhile punt. He has never been close to being 100% fit with us and I think it is too early to write him off completely. 6 months at County should determine if he is back to full fitness and able to do a job for us (as a decent squad player not 1st pick) or whether we should get shot.

Hopefully we have someone lined up to replace him of better quality anyway

I never understood the Tansey signing at all. He came in when we got rid of Jack, but didn't possess any of the attributes. Most importantly, every time I saw him for Inverness it was clear he didn't do the coverage of Jack or even McLean during a game. Capable of spotting a quick pass and a decent touch and free kick, but not nearly dynamic or hard-working enough for a McInnes dons' side. I'd put him in the Paul Sheerin bracket, of Pele days. The worst bit about it is that McInnes never spotted it.

I never understood the Tansey signing at all. He came in when we got rid of Jack, but didn't possess any of the attributes. Most importantly, every time I saw him for Inverness it was clear he didn't do the coverage of Jack or even McLean during a game. Capable of spotting a quick pass and a decent touch and free kick, but not nearly dynamic or hard-working enough for a McInnes dons' side. I'd put him in the Paul Sheerin bracket, of Pele days. The worst bit about it is that McInnes never spotted it.

I didn't think Tansey was that bad but I think he's more of the McLean type than the Jack/Flood. I think DM wanted him to replace Jack but I think he wouldn't be bad in replacing McLean. Again, he's back up not the starting midfielder, but not the heavy lifter. I definitely agree, center mid is where we badly need a player, selling or sending on loan means we must get someone in.

Straight swap for Maddison....

I know you’re joking, but it’s great to see him kicking on. Seems to be having the season of his career so far.

I’d like to see a fit tansey  back at the club to see what he can do. Disappointed with the way things have panned out for him and been less than impressed. Interesting to see who comes in as he doesn’t usually let anyone go without any cover.

He's pish. Hopefully we'll offload in the summer. Good that we're freeing up space in the squad and I expect we'll see a centre mid coming in during this window now. The problem with keeping guys like Tansey and Maynard in the squad is that you're inevitably forced to play them at some point. They don't change games and win things, you're just playing them because yer struggling in a game and trying anything is better than nothing. O'Connor should be our guy that provides the last resort cover in that area, or Christie playing slightly deeper or even Ball (as he did in the last 10 via Partick). We've no real need to have a guy that isn't an improvement on either of those options taking a salary. Good luck to him.

McInnes needs to cut out the Storey/Tansey/Quinn/Morris  type signings though. We shouldn't be making such obvious mistakes on players in our own league that we see on a regular basis. These guys were clearly not of the standard required, and that should have been obvious. Fine to make mistakes on players down South who are playing against a different (type of) opposition, but we should be able to see the ability of players in our own league and the areas where there isn't room for improvement in those players (Tansey's pace, marking and coverage the prime let down of his game).

I'd assume this means McLean is with us until summer and leaving on a free? Don't see him signing a new contract as mentioned before. Pretty sure his performances have improved as he tries to sell himself.

I think it would be crazy to let him go in this window. I'm not convinced his performances have been much better, perhaps slightly. I thought he started the season quite well then tailed off a bit and has just blown hot and cold. One thing about him is that his work rate is very good, he covers a lot of ground and makes himself available for the ball a lot. He needs to put his neck on the line a lot more if he wants a move to a better club than the dons though, he too often plays within himself and falls back into the easier parts of the pitch to play in and goes for the long cross ball that looks good but is easy, rather than the defence-splitting pass that might not come off. He's capable, he just needs to do it. After his St Mirren form, he should be a much better player than he is by now.