Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like O'Connor's agent perhaps trying to get the dons to up their offer. Anyway, no great loss, a pretty limited player that could easily be replaced. Save us seeing him in midfield again. Not sure I'd keep Arnason either, don't think he's been as good as folks thought he might. Pool our resources and get one decent centre back with Reynolds and Considine as cover. Reynolds is okay as cover, he seemed to settle in the game in the second half at the weekend but certainly wouldn't be disappointed to see him go in the summer.

Again, it comes down to our ability to get good signings in. I think if we got Devlin in we could happily let Arnason and O'Connor leave. As far as I'm aware we don't have any youngsters coming through at centre back (after McKenna), so we get one additional right sided defender in as cover for centre back and full back like we've done with Quinn, Ball etc in the past. Above that, we still need two centre mids and a striker. That could be difficult for us. Getting 4 good players in a single window will be exceptionally difficult. Worse if Christie leaves. We'd be looking at 6 signings probably, and that'd be hoping for a high success rate. With that in mind, perhaps we keep the devil(s) we know in Reynolds and O'Connor for cover, sign a single centre back and a single centre mid and a striker then take it from there. It's easy to ditch players, but we've seen how difficult it is to get decent replacements (see Tansey, Maynard and Ball in the last window). We're 3 from 6 this summer as far as good signings go, which is in line with most seasons. If we let Arnason and O'Connor go then we potentially need 3 signings in order to get one replacement and one cover.

Disagree re reynolds honking for the goal on saturday and again completely out muscled, i would get rid.

That's why I said second half! He was gash for the goal, but so were our midfield and rest of the defence in the build up. I would get rid too, in an ideal world, but if we only have the resources to recruit 2-3 decent players in the summer then I think we keep hold of Reynolds as cover for a bit longer until we get someone better or - as you suggest - promote from youth in Mbayo (unit like) or Roscoe. Reynolds is a very professional, intelligent guy that does no harm to our squad to have around. We just don't have the scouting ability or resources to go out and get 4 good players in the summer without making a fuck up along the way. If we get lucky and pick up a gem then get rid then, but I certainly wouldn't make it a priority.

Yep, hopefully Harvie will get some more game time over the next few months, however he looks a good bit off first team material at present. I was hoping he'd be a good bit better. He looked quite tall at the weekend though, which surprised me. 5ft9 according to wiki but he looked a bit taller than that when he came on at the weekend. Perhaps he's still growing. Anyway, he reminds me of Clark Robertson a little, which is probably nae a good thing.

O’Connor wants to follow in the footsteps of Ash Taylor by inexplicably turning down a new contract to go and battle relegation with Morecambe or a team of similar standing.

No great loss, but with Arnason probably also going and hopefully Reynolds going, we have a bunch of defenders to recruit.

Exactly this. AOC no better or worse than ash Taylor, both have their good and bad. I expect Arnie to go too but Reynolds is under contract and will stay. I think Devlin is worth the gamble.

Yep, hopefully Harvie will get some more game time over the next few months, however he looks a good bit off first team material at present. I was hoping he'd be a good bit better. He looked quite tall at the weekend though, which surprised me. 5ft9 according to wiki but he looked a bit taller than that when he came on at the weekend. Perhaps he's still growing. Anyway, he reminds me of Clark Robertson a little, which is probably nae a good thing.

Harvie should have come on when we were 4-1 and Consi nearly picked up a second yellow.  Pointless bring in on for 5 mins or so.

Am still convinced Reynolds would be better as pie seller in RDS concourse.....

I'd have Considine acting as cover for McKenna next season and try to get a decent proper left back in, I've come to accept Shinnie is going to be in midfield forever and only will play at left back in emergency....

Devlin will be first pick on right side of central defence (assuming we get him and the injury is 100% resolved). I'd like to see Arnie get another year as both McKenna and Devlin will learn from him even if he only plays 10-15 games over the season.

Am still convinced Reynolds would be better as pie seller in RDS concourse.....

I'd have Considine acting as cover for McKenna next season and try to get a decent proper left back in, I've come to accept Shinnie is going to be in midfield forever and only will play at left back in emergency....

Devlin will be first pick on right side of central defence (assuming we get him and the injury is 100% resolved). I'd like to see Arnie get another year as both McKenna and Devlin will learn from him even if he only plays 10-15 games over the season.

While I agree with you I'd think Arnie is on good money right now. Doubt he'll stay as a cheap back up or we can't afford an expensive 35/36 year old who doesn't play much.

Strange one.Hamilton saying theyve agreed terms with Preston(fee around £80k),but Preston tweeted that "there is no agreement in place for Michael Devlin"

Dons have tabled a smaller bid for Devlin according to the Sun

Downright bizzare, I've never heard of a club confirm a bid for their player successful only to have the named purchaser deny it. Wonder if Hamilton just want to move him on now.

Absolutely pish january window for AFC.

What's our ambitions?

No defenders brought in...no strikers.

We managed to get a guy who cant even play yet.

Utterly shambolic!

STATIC FC

Not ready to comment. Delighted McGinn is back and we don’t know about the midfielder, could be good. There’s a week in the window left, a lot can still happen. Hopefully.

Not ready to comment. Delighted McGinn is back and we don’t know about the midfielder, could be good. There’s a week in the window left, a lot can still happen. Hopefully.

Get Maynard to fuck and get a visa for the Nigerian. The time to buy was before tonight's game though.