Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McInnes to stay with the Dons

Most on here talk like losing McInnes would be some sort of disaster. Like he’s a great manager.

On the match thread, the imbecile said that beating Hamilton would have been “awesome”.

Are most thinking that McInnes is great basing their assessment on previously incompetent managers appointed by Milne?

Or am I missing something?

If winning at Hamilton and coming second in the SPFL is the height of ambition, then Milne has won.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most on here talk like losing McInnes would be some sort of disaster. Like he’s a great manager.

On the match thread, the imbecile said that beating Hamilton would have been “awesome”.

Are most thinking that McInnes is great basing their assessment on previously incompetent managers appointed by Milne?

If winning at Hamilton and coming second in the SPFL is the height of ambition, then Milne has won.

Just as a matter of interest who would you have appointed 4 years ago?  Do you really think that we would  have had a better return than 1 cup win (however boring), 2 other finals, 3 2nd places.  So tell us which manager taking over from Brown would have improved on that?

I understand where you're coming from, but.....

Is he our best manager since 1986?

Has he won us our only trophy in 22 years?

Has he got us qualifying for europe every year?

Has he got us deep into cups every year?

Have we had even a single humiliation in cups against lower league dross?

Have we made some great signings and loans the likes of which we haven't seen in 20 years?

Losing McInnes COULD be a disaster,eg when you see some of the names mentioned for his replacement,Yogi,Wright etc.Personally,am enjoying where we're at for the time being because of the previous years of shite.

I think he's weak tactically,and there are other things about him that do my head in,ie game management,but he offsets that with his record here since he came,the type of player he's able to attract,the atmosphere/professionalism he's brought to the dressing room,city.And I do think he's improving as a manager......slowly

Well isn’t that jolly? A reaction. A multiple reaction.

And three questions to deal with...

Just as a matter of interest who would you have appointed 4 years ago? Do you really think that we would  have had a better return than 1 cup win (however boring), 2 other finals, 3 2nd places.  So tell us which manager taking over from Brown would have improved on that?

1. I’m not employed to employ football managers. I wouldn’t have appointed the next AFC manager back then, nor now, or at any time in the future.

2. “Better return”? Than what?

3. You’re obviously delighted with the improvements since Brown. You therefore missed my point.

When you hear people bang on about our potential new stadium and what will happen if we don't get it, I think it is clear that Milne has won. I hate the man with a passion and detest what he has done to our club, but he has undoubtedly brainwashed the vast majority of our fans into thinking things are as good as they can be.

McInnes has his limitations and possibly has taken us as far he can take us, but I really fear Milne being responsible for appointing another manager when he does leave

When you hear people bang on about our potential new stadium and what will happen if we don't get it, I think it is clear that Milne has won. I hate the man with a passion and detest what he has done to our club, but he has undoubtedly brainwashed the vast majority of our fans into thinking things are as good as they can be.

McInnes has his limitations and possibly has taken us as far he can take us, but I really fear Milne being responsible for appointing another manager when he does leave

I agree with this. It's incredible the number of Dons fans I speak to who look perplexed when i criticise Milne.

I don't trust Milne to get the next decision right, which probably inflates McInnes's worth despite some obvious failings, particularly tactically.

I think losing McInnes would be “some sort” of disaster. We’re not stupid, most of us understand perfectly well what Scottish football is these days, many of us are old enough to remember happier times, and more desperate times. That’s why there’s a recent culture of acceptance amongst our support, like 2nd best will do, because in the current climate - it will have to bloody do.

I think he’s done an amazing job restoring some pride to our club, he’s always represented us well and there’s an aura of class and proffesionalism around afc now that was sadly lacking for years. Derek McInnes has never let us down, and he’ll be a hard act to follow whether it’s Milne doing the recruiting or not.

All he’s ever asked for in return is progression on the footballing side of the business, proper training facilities to match his ambition. As usual it’s miserable Aberdonian nimby wankers who’re doing their best to hinder him, the same negative cunts that have dragged the whole city down for years.

I wouldn’t blame him for leaving, and I’ll always be grateful for what he’s done for Aberdeen.

I appreciate your dig is at Wiggy here, but this was one decision he got spot on.

Good argument, very well made. The clarity of your words allows me to identify our differences.

I don’t consider him to have done “an amazing job restoring some pride” but I fully understand why you, and undoubtedly many others, think this. It is directly related to how utterly shambolic AFC had become before him. He therefore definitely deserves credit for not being as bad as many previous incumbents.

The “aura of class and professionalism” is our second point of contention. This again references the past, as you specifically said - “sadly lacking for years”. I’ll grant that he’s articulate in front of the camera but I see no “class” about him, neither in his professional record nor him as a person.

I don’t dispute that “he’s never let us down” in that he is trying his best and doesn’t turn up drunk, he doesn’t lie about what the fans did to him and he doesn’t play pocket billiards in an embarrassing manner whilst havering a lot of bollocks and accusing us of having unrealistic expectations. But if he’s going to be “a hard act to follow” then this will be because his record has been excellent at AFC or there isn’t much quality in the managerial gene pool to select from. I don’t agree on the former but definitely acknowledge the latter.

“All he’s ever asked for” is another area we see differently. They’re at Aberdeen Sports Village every week and he has access to the same facilities that every previous manager has had. Ok, these are not a bespoke club-owned facility but they are not a barrier to performance. It’s embarrassing that a business of AFC’s size doesn’t have a bespoke training centre but it’s not an excuse for poor performances. His “ambition” has always been to make progress but where most managers burn with a desire to win, his focus was always to use AFC to get a bigger-paying job next. That’s evident in him not relocating his family, unlike McNeill and unlike Fergie.

Agree with miserable nimby wankers, something not unique to Aberdonians of course.

You “wouldn’t blame him for leaving” but this has always been his goal. You’re “grateful” for his record here and you say that Milne was “spot on” in his recruitment of him. I agree that he has been the first and only of many managerial appointments under Milne for a quarter of a century to have been competent but I see nothing on the pitch or in the trophy cabinet to celebrate about his tenure, unless this is all we think were capable of?

You reckon he’s great compared to previous and I don’t disagree. But the previous were shocking and McInnes isn’t actually very good, as his next employer will find out. It’s already apparent to some of us here but others, comparing him to a bunch of incompetent complete balloon human beings that preceded him, are over-rating his capabilities. Time will tell. He doesn’t impress me neither professionally nor as a person.

I would not get as emotive as "great", but you are perhaps being a touch presumptuous to assume nobody but you looks beyond the start of the 21st century.  A comparison of last season under Mcinnes against the club's all-time history can be found in the records thread.

http://www.donstalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,19320.0.html

So, with the league over, how did we do?

With 0 games remaining:

Most Wins: 24 - BEST IN 24 YEARS, =6TH ALL-TIME - beats last years total (23) for the highest total since 1992/93 (27), when we played 44 games in a season.  Only beaten by the 80s.

Fewest Draws: 4 - BEST IN 59 YEARS, =5TH ALL-TIME - fewest draws in a season since 1957/58 (2).  Only beaten by seasons in the 50s when we played 30 or 34 games.

Fewest Defeats: 10 - =2ND BEST IN 23 YEARS, =33RD ALL-TIME - since 1993/94 (6).  Joins 2005/6 (10) and 2013/14 (10) and only surpassed by 2014/15 (9).  All-time suffers from shorter seasons in earlier years, however its the 9th best all-time in seasons of 38 games or more (45 seasons).

Most Goals Scored: 74 - BEST IN 24 YEARS, 15TH ALL-TIME - beats last years total (62) by a full dozen to be the most goals scored since 1992/93 (87 over 44 games).  The all-time record is 1935/36 (96).

Least Goals Conceded: 35 - 2ND BEST IN 26 YEARS, 23RD ALL-TIME - since 1990/91 (27), only surpassed by 2014/15 (33).  Again suffers from shorter historical seasons, but 6th best all-time in seasons of 38 games or more (45 seasons).

Highest Goal Difference: +39 -  BEST IN 24 YEARS. 11TH ALL-TIME - highest since 1992/93 (+51 over 44 games).  The all-time record is 1984/85 (+63 in 36 games!). 

Most Points:  76 - BEST ALL-TIME - beats previous record by 1 point for new all-time record.  ;D

One remaining record is that previously, we have only managed to reach runners-up/finalists or better in all 3 Scottish competitions in one season twice in our history - 1989/90 (2nd in league, League & Scottish cup winners) and 1992/93 (runners-up in everything). 

This season is the 3rd time, and i would happily swap all the achievements above to go one better than 92/93 in this one, and finish with a cup.  :thumbsup:

Can't believe how negative some folk on here can be.

Dons supporters of 40 years old plus need to stop living in the past and get a grip of reality.  Football is totally different to what it was back in the 80s.  The reality - it's all about how much money you've got.  Celtic's turnover last year was about £52M, ours was £13M.  The bottom line is they can buy much better players so in most seasons will finish ahead of us.  The financial gap was never as big until the champions league started so stop living in the fucking past!

Leicester proved that it's NOT all about money.

Also McInnes' record as a Dons manager in terms of wins, draws, losses etc is pretty much as good as Fergie's.  I just don't understand what some folk expect.  For a non-old firm club to win a trophy nowadays is near impossible and when the huns get their act together it will get even harder.

Leicester proved that it is possible to win a trophy against the odds. The best trophy.

Comparing DM to SAF. Dearie fucking me.

As for the criticism of Milne - he is trying to build us a better stadium, the club is now debt free.  Give the man a break.  Would you rather have had Romanov, Stephen Thomson or Craig Whyte in charge?

Comparing our chairman to provenly-corrupt chairmen is hardly the standard?

Trying to build a better stadium? Since before the paint was dry on the RDS?

Why is the club debt-free? What is Wm Donald getting out of it? How did it get into debt?

We pay our money at the weekend for a bit of entertainment, a day off from the wife etc, a good day out.  Maybe when I was 6 it was a disaster if we lost but it's only a fucking game.  Winning is not the only consideration.

YOU pay your money to get away from the wife? Get a better wife.

Maybe you've got a point Rocket.

If Deek goes we could get Fergie back and we will start winning the league again and conquering Europe.  I'm sure he would easily be able to beat Real Madrid again with the current Pittodrie budget since it's not all about the money.

Maybe you miss mine.

I said in the Ullevi when Hewitt scored that this was the pinnacle. You sound like Willie Miller and Calderfuck last decade, blaming the fans for the abysmal record over the 20+ years since the glory days.

It's been miles better since McInnes - as I have acknowledged - but McInnes is NOT a great manager, as time will prove.

Real Madrid always had more money than Aberdeen

Celtic were always a bigger club with more fans than Aberdeen.

The main difference now is that people are obsessed with money, fans in pubs talk about money instead of football.

The club with the cash will win most of the games, twas always thus.

However, little Aberdeen Football Club from the North East of Scotland beat Real Madrid, beat Bayern Munich, held that trophy aloft on a rainy night in Gothenburg.

If you want me to forget that then you can fuck right off.

Do you think it seemed likely as we kicked off season 82/83?

No it wasn't likely, wasn't even possible most people (everyone) would have told you.

But it bloody happened, I know it happened because I saw it happening.

It's probably asking too much to see it happen twice in a lifetime but I'm fucked if I'm going to give up hope because some bastard has a bigger bank account than us.

I'm just a realist Rocket and appreciate that there is next to no chance of us ever winning the league again in my lifetime.  Obviously doesn't have to stop you dreaming though. 

As a "younger" fan (I use that phrase loosely) I just wish sometimes that there was a little less reference to Gothenburg and the 80s and that the club could just move on.  It was an unimaginable achievement but harping back to it all the time seems to put it in some folks minds that it should be achievable again.  It was 34 years ago and so much has changed since.

Your post about Leicester is a similar thing.  It was a freak total one-off.  Look at the Champions League.  No one there can compete without squillions to spend. 

It took us nearly 20 years to get a good manager and I think he deserves credit for being one rather than suggesting he is just not quite as bad as those before him.  You suggest time will tell us he is not a great manager.  I would suggest at Pittodrie time will tell us we should have appreciated him while he was here because there is a strong chance things could get worse if he leaves.

I give up. You go to Pittodrie to escape the wife with zero dreams and zero appreciation of what the key factors are for success in sport. "Freak one-offs" happen in every sport, every year. We all know how the money stacks the odds but great men, great visionaries, those who burn with desire, those who work their fucking bollocks off can, have done, and will move mountains. Your aspirations total a good day out. If things get worse after McInnes it will be because our board is inept and didn't recruit a better manager than the one we have just now.

I give up. You go to Pittodrie to escape the wife with zero dreams and zero appreciation of what the key factors are for success in sport. "Freak one-offs" happen in every sport, every year. We all know how the money stacks the odds but great men, great visionaries, those who burn with desire, those who work their fucking bollocks off can, have done, and will move mountains. Your aspirations total a good day out. If things get worse after McInnes it will be because our board is inept and didn't recruit a better manager than the one we have just now.

Football isn't every sport though, and those one-offs don't happen every year anymore. Because money has been taken to such an extreme level that it is the only deciding factor in fitba - i.e. it's no longer a sport (or, at best, money is the sport). Leicester wasn't even the freak one-off that it's made out to be either, they still spent millions on their team, and there has to be a saturation point at which spending another multiple of shite-loads makes less and less difference (Scottish fitba is nowhere near that like). I believe that Leicester - to an extent -

was an example of that saturation point rather than the miracle of sport that folks would have us believe (not that it wasn't an amazing achievement). Ranieri certainly wasn't the genius everyone thought at the time, basically just an Italian version of Deek who managed to keep a very good fit squad for an entire season. //that said, I agree with a lot of yer points on Deek, although he got a phenomenal goals and points return last season for which he has to take a lot of credit. The problem I think we'll have - as I mentioned previously - is that we may get the first team manager that can take us to the next level, but we'll lose the backroom competence that has been absolutely apparent under McInnes. It is this - in spite of his caution and poor(ish) transfer dealings - that we have consistently achieved high points totals in recent years. In the current market - because it is a market - we're going to struggle to get the all round manager that we require to win trophies and perform well in the league at the same time.

FAO King Kirk (cos i know you are looking in)

5 year old pricks have the educational advantage of having a primary 1 schooling over you....

Remember your prediction regarding Scott Allan joining sevco? I do....

And I will be all over you when sevco (Rangers died...never forget this fact despite the historical revisionists that infest all sevconian platforms) end up appointing Billy Davies, Shteev "pash the Dutchie" McLaren or some other jobseeker.....

Disturbing "news" from a couple of the SPFL "news" type pages on facebook. Done deal and arguing about compo.

Conversley not a single of the traditional news sites are reporting it, even the Daly Hun.

I think we're no further on.

Most folk taking it with a pinch of salt.Cant see anything about it anywhere else,not even hun forums.Hopefully bollox

Bookies have a book that they need to balance, that is their only agenda. Don't read to much into their odds.

Tried to place a bet today on a 22/1 shot and response was max bet on this bet is £6.81 they really are a farce, especially online accountants.