Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McInnes to stay with the Dons

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't think McInnes is mad enough to go to sevco under the present regime...really is a turd polishing exercise  for the unlucky incoming manager.

Mcleish despite the constant rumours of bibulous excess is probably the guy they should look at. Won't get them anywhere near the dhims but assuming they don't hit another financial black hole would probably get them challenging us for second. However (as DM well knows) second place is not enough to keep the unwashed hordes happy for longer than one more season after this and their sense of entitlement will be enough to see the end of whoever is unlucky enough to land the job in the upcoming days.

DM is surely far too astute to take it on as without a promise of 20 million for a total overhaul, which obviously won't be happening, he couldn't lay a glove on Celtic. His career would be damaged irrepairably

And I don't think McInnes is mad enough to go to sevco under the present regime...really is a turd polishing exercise  for the unlucky incoming manager.

DM is surely far too astute to take it on as without a promise of 20 million for a total overhaul, which obviously won't be happening, he couldn't lay a glove on Celtic. His career would be damaged irrepairably

You underestimate the indoctrination of the sectarian divide and you overestimate the capability of our hun manager.

Fuck off McInnes. You fucking wank.

There's very little management talent for us to pull from.

I just can't stand mediocrity. In anything. There's no excuse for it.

Agree with this and this is my main concern. As good as Derek has been for us and as stable as we've been I believe he has taken as as far as he can. If there was a suitable replacement available I'd be much less bothered about him going. But I am bothered because I can't see us replacing him with anyone better.

There's very little management talent for us to pull from.

I just can't stand mediocrity. In anything. There's no excuse for it.

That explains a lot. Don't worry about it, Rocket. The Donstalk admins, mods and posters all support you.  :thumbsup:

Do people worry like I do if Deek does goto Ibrox the on field progress and improvement in quality signings (maybe he has taken us as far as he can) will slowly fall away and we'll be back to the days of trying to just make Top Six every season as some sort of achievement?? 

If you'd have said to me folk like Hayes, Rooney, McGinn, McLean, Lewis, Logan Tansey, Shinnie, Arnason, MacKay-Steven, Stevie May would join in recent seasons I'd have told you one was smoking something didgy.  Even loaned players like Danny Ward, Ryan Christie, James Maddison, Simon Church were are probably too good for Pittodrie.   

I reckon the first Spaniard will get added to that list this season.

Amazing how often SAF won it. The other Scotsman, Dalglish at Blackburn was probably with Leicester and Ranieri the most unlikely winners.

Guardiola isn't Spanish. He's Catalan. Recognise.

....... Simon Church were are probably too good for Pittodrie.   

Simon Fucking Church? Come on now. You added that in as a joke, didn't you?

Anyway, I agree there is a huge chance that we'll take a step backward and the attribute you mention - ability to attract players - is clearly one of the biggest problems we'll face.

The problem in my view is that we've given McInnes absolute control of the club. He has shaped everything, from youth fitba, to stats and game analysis, the physio team etc etc. He's done a fantastic job of turning those areas around and putting them on a modern footing. As with previous managers, it appears we have absolutely no succession planning. The comparative success of clubs such as St Johnstone, Hamilton, County etc over the years is because of the excellent behind the scenes setup and continuity in that regard. Managers to them are replaceable commodities. Every time we replace a manager, there's a giant overhaul. We don't need a giant overhaul, we just need a few tweaks in the right places to make us more competitive in certain areas of the park and slightly better tactically. Deek's off the park setup needs to be maintained and improved upon, which is something he would definitely do if still here.

That's why I think the huns will benefit immensely from DM, and why I think he'll join them. They need a complete re-build and they'll let him do it, they'll give him the freedom (not necessarily the funds) to set these things up just as he has at Pittodrie, because they're in a fucking state off the park. He's good at it, and he appears to enjoy it too. It's a blank slate too, and I think that'll appeal, he'll be happy enough to leave Aberdeen to it with the new training facility and stadium (aka. the fantasy) and start again with the hun. Moreover, he's a hun and will be given time and trust to do what he needs to. Pedro was the perfect fall guy to have before you - like Smith knew Le Guen was - tempering the hun support just enough to allow talk of seasons' long re-building plans off and on the pitch. McInnes is an intelligent guy who will sell it to them well and they'll trust him.

I don't think McInnes is an amazing manager, I think he has obvious tactical flaws, but him staying is the difference between us finishing second or not. The knock on effect of not finishing second is massive.

Rico, he averaged nearly a goal in every two games!!  I don't want us going back to the day when making Top Six is seen as success.  I know we keep harping on about how I've enjoyed the last four seasons worth of European football and after supporting the club some 26 years now I really have appreciated this little treat more than I thought we would.  We would like this trend to continue.  Not go another 15 years again til our next continental jaunt.

Disagree with the "no succession planning"

Think Sheerin/Robson are being groomed to eventually take over when DM/Doc eventually leave, although I do concede that right now is at least a year before they will be ready to do so. I'd actually liked to have seen one of them (Robson probably given his old ties to the club) at least apply for the caravan dwellers job to try to get some real managerial experience with the other going in as assistant.

I still believe DM will turn down any sevco approach

Sheerin is thick as shite, and I suspect Robson would be an absolute liability as manager. He'd be a good assistant/coach, but he doesn't have the brains to do the behind-the-scenes part that McInnes does so successfully. Succession planning isn't simply having one person ready to take over, it's ensuring that the club can run continuously with constant improvement regardless of the person in charge of the first team. We've shown over the years that we're nowhere near to having that in place as each time a manager comes in we rip up the foundations and start again. McInnes shipped out our entire youth team, overhauled our fitness and physio side of things, brought in some scouts and changed our data team. Every new manager we've had in since Aitken has "been surprised" by how unfit our players are and immediately brought in a new regime. These things should be set in stone, with managers simply providing additional benefits from their experience. We should have the analytics and data reporting in place that a new manager simply has to look at the data and interpret that to identify where he can make improvements and then deal with the tactical/strategic management of the first team. That is what constant improvement looks like. Our performance needs to be measurable in terms of more than results and it needs to be continuously set to the highest standard regardless of manager.

Personally, I'd have a day to day club manager maintaining a lot of the stuff McInnes has set-up and ensuring the performance of the various areas is top notch, keeping them well away from first team management and accountable directly to the board. That way, we don't have a huge overhaul the next time a manager comes in, and we have the professionalism instilled at the club so that the next Calderwood or Brown can't come along and have us running on sand dunes or polishing boots.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Some of you boys have pretty short memories.  We were absolutely SHITE for years and years before McInnes came to Pittodrie.  The guy has done wonders for the club and we need to keep him at all costs.  How some folk would be quite happy to get rid of him and get in somebody like Steve Clarke - really?? is beyond me.  McInnes has probably earned the right to go and get a bigger job in England but if he wants to join the huns then the Pittodrie board should be as awkward as fuck with them.

Some of you boys have pretty short memories.  We were absolutely SHITE for years and years before McInnes came to Pittodrie.  The guy has done wonders for the club and we need to keep him at all costs.  How some folk would be quite happy to get rid of him and get in somebody like Steve Clarke - really?? is beyond me.  McInnes has probably earned the right to go and get a bigger job in England but if he wants to join the huns then the Pittodrie board should be as awkward as fuck with them.

Maybe it's long memories we have. We know what good football looks like and McInnes isn't capable of delivering it. Just because it's better than Calderclown, McGoo, Paw Broon et al, these are hardly the standards against which he should be judged.

Done wonders for the club? Like what? The shittest AFC final win in history, against a shit club (with a shit manager since been found out) in a shit competition where we beat nothing to get there? If that's the height of his achievements (and it is) and that's an acceptable level of performance, your memory isn't long enough.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Aye Rocket I suppose it depends fit side of the fence you sit on.  I'm guessing by your posts you saw the glory days of the 80s?  I am too young to remember them so before McInnes came in all I had witnessed was 25 years of pish.  Then this guy comes in and we actually start winning.  Jesus, last season we scored 7 goals in a game TWICE and 6 in another game.  I would love to share your optimism that somebody else will come in and we will suddenly play much better stuff but I can see us being a much poorer team without McInnes.

Welcome to the forums kir, I see you've already met our village rocket.  I think most folk on here are pretty aware of the reality of modern-day Scottish football and would applaud McInnes for what he has achieved in an environment vastly different from that of the latter 20th century.

I think your name is too long. It's uncomfortable on my screen.

Apart fae that, I agree with your assessment. We scored a record number of goals last season, with a record points total and played some excellent stuff fairly regularly at home and away. I've not seen anything of Steve Clark to suggest he'd be a better manager. It'd certainly be a hell of a risk.

I think your name is too long. It's uncomfortable on my screen.

Apart fae that, I agree with your assessment. We scored a record number of goals last season, with a record points total and played some excellent stuff fairly regularly at home and away. I've not seen anything of Steve Clark to suggest he'd be a better manager. It'd certainly be a hell of a risk.

Can’t really disagree with any of that.

losing McInnes would be a massive blow, don’t think anyone has or would claim he doesn’t have his faults but the change he’s brought about in the club is huge, itd be a crushing blow if all the good work taking us this far stalls, or even worse regresses. I’ve yet to see a single realistic name suggested that would inspire confidence in progressing from where we are today.

Here’s hoping his chat of only moving on to the right job and having unfinished business in England leads him to turn down any approach from that shambles of a club that may come his way.

Rico, he averaged nearly a goal in every two games!!  I don't want us going back to the day when making Top Six is seen as success.  I know we keep harping on about how I've enjoyed the last four seasons worth of European football and after supporting the club some 26 years now I really have appreciated this little treat more than I thought we would.  We would like this trend to continue.  Not go another 15 years again til our next continental jaunt.

Simon Church was utter toilet. 

Now mis-controlling passes and generally looking lost for Scunthorpe United.

Winning trophies is where it's at for me rather than 'continental jaunts', as interesting as they are.

Simon Church was utter toilet. 

Now mis-controlling passes and generally looking lost for Scunthorpe United.

Winning trophies is where it's at for me rather than 'continental jaunts', as interesting as they are.

Nail. On. Head.

Knowing that we signed that to cover someone of Rooney's quality made his injury all the harder to take. Not one of the worst though, had plenty worse before him.

Bobby Biscuit, I'm in it for the memories not the trophies.  When one loses someone like their Mam in such tragic circumstances as we did yours truly honestly never thought we'd ever change how SeeBass looked at his football team.  I'm still "in love with my team" as much as I was first time we set eyes on them but after 26 years as a fan I'm literally BORED OUT OF MY SKULL watching us play the same teams three sometimes four or five times a season.  These last four years and the eleven European ties we've had have kept me sane if nothing else.