Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Just now, RicoS321 said:

What a performance. Best this century. Just brilliant. Adams motm, but every single player was top class. Ran themselves into the ground. Phenomenal. Well done Clarke. Nae bookings either, because we barely put in a sliding tackle because we were so disciplined.

Can't put it better myself. Excellent effort and work rate all around, but it was the focus and disciple, especially when we tired which we clearly did. Also special mention to McGinn, super game.

11 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Excellent night. Win and no bookings. Now, knowing our luck, we get Italy in the semi...

Ignore that. Looks like Poland, N. Macedonia, Finland, and Sweden/Turkey already have dropped more points than Italy......

For what it's worth, good chance we finish with the best record of 2nd placed teams, level with Portugal.

Edited by LA-Don

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Sincerely hope I'm wrong but with a few exceptions that team gives me the fear.

Please please prove me wrong guys 🤞

Well and truely proved wrong.

That's why Steve Clarke is where he is and I sm where I am.

What a fucking night

4 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Ignore that. Looks like Poland, N. Macedonia, Finland, and Sweden/Turkey already have dropped more points than Italy......

For what it's worth, good chance we finish with the best record of 2nd placed teams, level with Portugal.

We'll finish second L.A.

We needed another four goals to finish as best second placed team 

59 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

wcpl.JPG

So, realistically, it's probably a home semi against Finland, Austria, Turkey/Norway, N. Macedonia, or Wales/Poland/Czech.......I think. Final potentially against Russia, Sweden, Italy, or Portugal. Ugh....

What dictates hosting the final? 

Edited by LA-Don

5 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

So, realistically, it's probably a home semi against Finland, Austria, Turkey/Norway, N. Macedonia, or Wales/Poland/Czech.......I think. Final potentially against Russia, Sweden, Italy, or Portugal. Ugh....

What dictates hosting the final? 

Whatever comes out of the hat.
Could end up with two games at hampden

That was just incredible football by us.

We utterly annihilated arguably the 3rd best team in Europe at the moment in those first 45 minutes!

We looked like world champions seriously.

Our passing and movement was superb!!

They totally bamboozled Denmark.

I've no idea where Adams has come from but my thoughts on him being mediocre have been totally changed. He was magnificent tonight in every aspect of his game.

Mcginn was on fire!.

Every touch seemed to be world class from him.

Every player was great. We are some team atm and I think we have really matured even from a few games back.

No bookings? Exceptional discipline.

Rico it's definitely the best result this century but I'd go further and say the scoreline against a team of that quality and the way we dominated them is one of Scotland's best EVER.

I'm in total awe of that performance tonight.

It's a great fuck off to any player deciding to feign injury or put his club first.

Won't be seeing the likes of McBurnie etc again.

I wish I'd been there to see that.

Well done guys. Phenomenal!!!

Edited by HaarDon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

That was just incredible football by us.

We utterly annihilated arguably the 3rd best team in Europe at the moment in those first 45 minutes!

We looked like world champions seriously.

Our passing and movement was superb!!

They totally bamboozled Denmark.

I've no idea where Adams has come from but my thoughts on him being mediocre have been totally changed. He was magnificent tonight in every aspect of his game.

Mcginn was on fire!.

Every touch seemed to be world class from him.

Every player was great. We are some team atm and I think we have really matured even from a few games back.

No bookings? Exceptional discipline.

Rico it's definitely the best result this century but I'd go further and say the scoreline against a team of that quality and the way we dominated them is one of Scotland's best EVER.

I'm in total awe of that performance tonight.

It's a great fuck off to any player deciding to feign injury or put his club first.

Won't be seeing the likes of McBurnie etc again.

I wish I'd been there to see that.

Well done guys. Phenomenal!!!

Ok, calm down a little. They had little to play for, almost the opposite for us. We were excellent but let’s not say they were that good. Besides Erickson, who else of their best 11 were missing? I’m not down playing our achievement or performance, or form, but that 11 we faced were not the 3rd best team in Europe.

• Like 1

Nope. I'm not having any of that!

Think what you wish.

They weren't that good because we played them off the park.

Yes we had intent but they wanted to win this game and make it 100% without a loss.

Was fully expecting some negative Nora to turn up and say that.

This was a superb performance and you could argue that we could have sat back for the draw.Instead we attacked them and dominated a very good European side.

It's been a long time waiting for a result like that so you and Elgin remain negative.

I will not calm down.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Nope. I'm not having any of that!

Think what you wish.

They weren't that good because we played them off the park.

Yes we had intent but they wanted to win this game and make it 100% without a loss.

Was fully expecting some negative Nora to turn up and say that.

This was a superb performance and you could argue that we could have sat back for the draw.Instead we attacked them and dominated a very good European side.

It's been a long time waiting for a result like that so you and Elgin remain negative.

I will not calm down.

Cheers.

We played as good as weve seen in years,as said  in the thread.Hard to gauge how different Denmark may have been if theyd had more to play for,hence the lets not get too carried away comments.But they did seem to up their game the longer it looked like they were going to lose

● Denmark have conceded just one goal in their nine qualifying games so far this campaign, while the Danes are unbeaten in their last 24 qualifying matches in total (EURO/World Cup, excl. play-offs) since a 1-0 home loss to Montenegro in October 2016.

To quote^^^

I think it's the fact that we won that makes it so good. Maybe the France games beat this one, especially the away performance? That was a genuinely good team, with no suggestion that they were under strength or that the game didn't matter. All the other games ended in glorious defeat. Losing to Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands at Hampden were great performances that came close. England twice too, resulting in draws. Even the Wembley playoff game twenty years ago was a glorious failure. 

Going back to the nineties and prior things were different. We were usually second seeds in our group, and teams like Denmark weren't that great (they didn't even qualify for the Euros in '92 for example...). We generally qualified for tournaments and were probably almost in the same bracket as the likes of Denmark. All our big victories therefore happened at tournaments rather than on the way there in theory. Beating Switzerland at the Euros, Sweden at the WC, tanking the CIS and the Dutch in 78, alongside a number of glorious defeats of course. It's difficult to compare then to now, so probably best to rate it against 21st century.

I'd go:

1. France away

2. Denmark

3. France home

Edit: of course we beat the Dutch at Hampden in the first leg, which was a massive result too. It gets tainted by the away result, but only in hindsight.

Edited by RicoS321

I/ we were up against Denmark reserves

2/ English goals don’t count so it was only 1-0

3/ A home game gives the SFA more money so not a good idea

Still, for 25 minutes they looked very good, best I’ve seen them them play for a long time.

Certainly heading in the right direction, but badly in need of a goal scoring forward or two.

Finally of course , we should never ever play English players.

8 minutes ago, donsdaft said:

I/ we were up against Denmark reserves

2/ English goals don’t count so it was only 1-0

3/ A home game gives the SFA more money so not a good idea

Still, for 25 minutes they looked very good, best I’ve seen them them play for a long time.

Certainly heading in the right direction, but badly in need of a goal scoring forward or two.

Finally of course , we should never ever play English players.

Oh so you heard about the game?

Surprising that.

I'll add this. Excellent performance in a game that mattered, and that's what I consider. But it mattered to us only and we showed up. I don't know Denmark enough to say how deep a squad they have, but we beat a depleted Czech and Croatia in the past only to lose to them when it mattered to both teams.

First half is the best I've seen Scotland play in a long time, second half I think Derek McInnes maybe had a word in Clarke's ear about game management. Got me a little concerned the longer the game went on and the more possession Denmark had. We rode our luck a couple of times, particularly the sclaff 6 yards out that dribbled into Gordon's hands. 

We didn't really show up in the euros against the Czech and Croatia, yesterday showed we can when it matters and it's not England we are playing. A semi like that and we have every chance, plus even Portugal and Italy have vulnerability and, especially at Hampden, I say why not us??

• Like 1

Thought I’d posted yesterday but was still in my drafts. That was an epic watch. Hampden looked like it was raucous (had it on mute as it was office reception) but managed to time my venturings with the goals. What a finish for the second, but would echo what everyone else has said. Ran themselves ragid and I think made it very difficult for the Danes to play. They’re a very good side and we saw what they could do in the second half as they started to control the game.  But we kept our cool and some terrific work at the back kept us in it. First time in a long time, I was jealous of those at the game and wanted to be back. 

• Like 1