Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

As it currently stands (assuming Wales dont suddenly collapse) these are the teams in the playoffs along with their finals fixtures)

Seeded
Serbia (Portugal (A)) 
Switzerland (Bulgaria (H))
Sweden (Spain (A))
Croatia (Russia (H))
Poland (Hungrary (H))
Scotland (Denmark (H))

Unseeded
Wales (Belgium (H))
Turkey (Montenegro (A))
Finland (France (H))
North Macedonia (Iceland (H))
Czech Republic (Estonia (H))
Austria (Nations league)

Serbia, Switzerland, Sweden, Croatia & Poland can still qualify automatically and are guaranteed a playoff spot.
If they all do Portugal, Spain, Italy, Russia, & England will take the playoff spots.

Wales & the Czech republic are guaranteed a playoff spot due to nations league but can still claim a seeded spot.

Finland need to match or better Ukraine's result to keep their spot likewise North Macedonia need to match Romania's result. Unlikely either of them will end up seeded.

Scotland beat the Danes and a seeded place is guaranteed.
Anything else means relying on Belgium, Estonia, & France doing Clarke & Co a favour.

Edited by tom_widdows
  • Like 1

update following wales 5-1 win its now this

Seeded
Serbia (Portugal (A)) 
Switzerland (Bulgaria (H))
Sweden (Spain (A))
Croatia (Russia (H))
Poland (Hungrary (H))
Wales (Belgium (H))

Unseeded
Scotland (Denmark (H))
Turkey (Montenegro (A))
Finland (France (H))
North Macedonia (Iceland (H))
Czech Republic (Estonia (H))
Austria (Nations league)

Plus I think ive jumped the gun saying beating denmark guarantees a seeded spot

Edited by tom_widdows

Really looking forward to this match.

Nice to know we don't need a result to get to the play off's.

Obviously a draw or win would be great.

Talk of Denmark not bringing full team.

The yellow card rule (which is ridiculous) bothers me a lot and I fear we may miss 1 or 2 vital players next March.

What we have achieved already in the group is excellent.

Cmon lads!!!

21 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

The yellow card rule (which is ridiculous) bothers me a lot and I fear we may miss 1 or 2 vital players next March.

It's clearly deliberate too, to give the big teams a better chance to progress. Nobody would consider it beneficial from a sporting perspective. They'll have clearly considered it and assumed that the bigger teams that might drop into the playoffs will likely be less affected by missing a player or two. They probably also know that the bigger teams will have had less yellow cards over the qualifying. I understand that Clarke has to remain focused, but it should be called out publicly by someone at the SFA.

I'd actually liked to have seen guys like McGinn, Adams, Gilmour, Robertson, Tierney be told to go and pick up a deliberate booking against Moldova to rule them out for tonight's game rather than the playoff semi. It's such a difficult balance, but I think that a seeding with one or two of our better players missing is just as difficult as being unseeded with no players missing, and there's a very good chance that we're both unseeded and have players missing. Not only that, but a suspension would have wiped the bookings count for the playoffs, which is vital. I could see McGinn or Tierney get through tonight's match without a booking, but I can't see them get through two games without picking up a single yellow, so I think we should have taken the hit and let a few of the fringe players like McLean, Nisbet etc have a free run at it tonight with the pressure very much off.

To be honest, I wouldn't even trust Dykes not to pick up two bookings in two games!

• Like 1

That's the best half of fitba I've seen from Scotland in a long time (maybe the England game?). Phenomenal performance. The workrate been immense and the concentration and discipline too. Completely deserve the lead, and the extra bonus goal for having millions of corners craigbrown™