Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

It's all good.

I thought v Israel it was very close to a head kick from certain angles, though not after VAR.(obviously the cheating Israeli tried his luck)

Last night looked like it could've hit Dykes' arm though would be unfair to not give that either.

The very fact that VAR was used for both goals surely makes them contentious.

Anyway, 6 points. Happy days😏

It would be crazy after all the bad decisions and bad luck we've had over the decades for a Scottish supporter to want fair ruling.

2 hours ago, scotfree said:

I got up early to watch this match. Was fucked off with it all and turned the tv over with 5 mins of the game left... I was not expecting that score when I saw it later on.

Could you possibly do this for the Moldova game also if we're struggling 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HaarDon said:

It's all good.

I thought v Israel it was very close to a head kick from certain angles, though not after VAR.(obviously the cheating Israeli tried his luck)

Last night looked like it could've hit Dykes' arm though would be unfair to not give that either.

The very fact that VAR was used for both goals surely makes them contentious.

Anyway, 6 points. Happy days😏

It would be crazy after all the bad decisions and bad luck we've had over the decades for a Scottish supporter to want fair ruling.

I can't think of a single bad decision we've had over the years that's made a difference. It pales into insignificance when you count the number of times we've played terribly, put out a poor team, chose the wrong tactics etc. That we expect absolute perfection from refs is bizarre. 

It's entirely designed by TV viewers for TV, with supporters who actually attend games kept in the dark. Perfect for the greatest league in the world.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I can't think of a single bad decision we've had over the years that's made a difference. It pales into insignificance when you count the number of times we've played terribly, put out a poor team, chose the wrong tactics etc. That we expect absolute perfection from refs is bizarre. 

It's entirely designed by TV viewers for TV, with supporters who actually attend games kept in the dark. Perfect for the greatest league in the world.

Great for guys like me then at the other side of the world 👍

And the foul given to Italy in euro 2008 qualifiers for a start which stopped us from going through.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

Losing to Georgia & Ukraine stopped Scotland from going through.

That's the thing, if you don't screw up one of those then the Italy game doesn't matter (wasn't our goal offside too?). The only time I can think of a decision that was ridiculously contentious was the Henry handball against Ireland that sent them out in a playoff. But those clear cut bad decisions - rather than subjective calls - are really not that common. It's best just to let them go and deal with any missed red cards etc afterwards like we do currently. Even the lauded goal line technology gets used about once a season. It's just not required. 

We were poor the first half but I have to say I thought the faroes looked a pretty decent team.  Clarke was right to mention the Danes took the same amount of time to score against them as we did, they're no mugs. 

Got the fear about Moldova but at least it won't be roasting hot.  Even if we win we still have a long way to go.  Play offs will be tough

The good thing about Moldova is that it's the first of the two fixtures. The double header does seem to throw up a few difficulties for us. A big first fixture and we struggle to match that in the second, as if we've already done the hard work. A poor first fixture and we are a bit shaky in the second. It must be a difficult psychology for the manager, it's not really like anything else in football. A European game is two legs against the same team, which gives it the air of a single game. It's almost like we have to treat each game in a double header as a single fixture, where it only counts if you meet your objectives in both.

• Like 1

I think we will beat Moldova just by 1 goal again and Israel will be beaten by Austria who's pride has taken a huge knock as they were expected to be at least runners up.

When you look at where we are atm from the group teams at the start, we have done ourselves proud.

It's just a shame we have donkeys for strikers.

I'd still have liked to see Nisbet get way more chances like a start for the Faroes game. That was the perfect opportunity to give him confidence and see what he could do for at least 70 mins.

Clarke knew the faroes were well equipped defensively and was going for an aerial threat coming from dykes (which he doest really have in terms of headed goals for us).

We really shouldn't fuck this up but if we get to the play off's,  I can't see us getting through 2 matches whether we end up seeded or not.

We just havnt the one talisman who can score goals like most other teams have.

3 hours ago, HaarDon said:

We really shouldn't fuck this up but if we get to the play off's,  I can't see us getting through 2 matches whether we end up seeded or not.

I don't think anyone will be putting money on us to do it, but if we get a lucky draw who knows. The likes of Italy, Spain and Portugal could end up in the playoffs but it's probably more likely it's something like this:

Semi-final: Austria, Czech Republic, Norway, Romania, Ukraine or Wales

Final: Croatia, Poland, Serbia, Sweden or Switzerland

6 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

I don't think anyone will be putting money on us to do it, but if we get a lucky draw who knows. The likes of Italy, Spain and Portugal could end up in the playoffs but it's probably more likely it's something like this:

Semi-final: Austria, Czech Republic, Norway, Romania, Ukraine or Wales

Final: Croatia, Poland, Serbia, Sweden or Switzerland

Fair comment. In Clarke’s defence, these last few games we look like we have turned a corner and made a bit of progress. Unfortunately I don’t think we are in the class of a Sweden, Norway or Czech Republic therefore we will probably end up being beaten in the playoffs.

I would still question some of Clarke’s tactics at times. The other night we could all see Fraser was making nothing of it and it was crying out for Patterson yet he waited until about 10 minutes from the end before making the change. Also bringing on McGregor for Hendry, just to drop McTominay into defence looked a pointless sub when we were desperate for a goal and taking off Billy Gilmour when we needed to keep the ball at the end was a strange decision.

From the outside, he certainly seems to have fostered a good bond between the players though and no one can deny they are willing to fight for him.

Dykes is also an upgrade on a number of those who were given a chance before him (McBurnie, Brophy, Shankland, Burke, Fletcher). He may not be world class but he is a threat and must be a nightmare to play against. Arguably the best goal scoring threat since Kenny Miller.

• Like 1

Thought quite a bit about that game the last 24 hours. Reminded me a lot how the Dons have played over the last few of years. Plenty of possession but all in front of an organized defensive opponent, and no central attacking creativity or threat. Like you hear me cry too often, seriously lacking a number 10. Very disappointed in Christie, he can play that role very well but he didn't get much of the ball. Get the #10 on the ball centrally and you attack with Robertson Dykes and Fraser alongside and ahead of you. It was all too slow and predictable.

Haven't seen much of Turnbull, is he that type of player? Or is he yet another box to box midfielder. Who else can bring central attacking creativity? Would rather see Fraser there than wide, James Forrest??

On 15/10/2021 at 05:42, LA-Don said:

Thought quite a bit about that game the last 24 hours. Reminded me a lot how the Dons have played over the last few of years. Plenty of possession but all in front of an organized defensive opponent, and no central attacking creativity or threat. Like you hear me cry too often, seriously lacking a number 10. Very disappointed in Christie, he can play that role very well but he didn't get much of the ball. Get the #10 on the ball centrally and you attack with Robertson Dykes and Fraser alongside and ahead of you. It was all too slow and predictable.

Haven't seen much of Turnbull, is he that type of player? Or is he yet another box to box midfielder. Who else can bring central attacking creativity? Would rather see Fraser there than wide, James Forrest??

Tony watt apparently 😮

• 2 weeks later...

U21 squad announced for qualifiers Kazakhstan and Belgium. Both games being played at Tannadice on 12th and 16th November.

Scotland Under-21s Squad

Brian Kinnear West Ham United PS
Archie Mair Lincoln City PS *
Cieran Slicker Manchester City

Harrison Ashby West Ham United
Tom Clayton Liverpool
Josh Doig Hibernian
Aaron Hickey Bologna
Lewis Mayo Partick Thistle PS **
Adam Montgomery Celtic PS
Stephen Welsh Celtic

Elliot Anderson Newcastle United
Scott Banks Crystal Palace PS
Jack Burroughs Ross County ***
Lewis Fiorini Lincoln City ****
Scott High Huddersfield Town
Stephen Kelly Rangers PS
Marc Leonard Brighton & Hove Albion PS
Ben Williamson Livingston **

Kai Kennedy Dunfermline Athletic PS **
Stuart McKinstry Leeds United PS
Dapo Mebude AFC Wimbledon PS *****
Glenn Middleton St Johnstone **
Aaron Pressley AFC Wimbledon ******

4 hours ago, HaarDon said:

FIFA have fined the SFA for Scottish fans booing at Israeli's national anthem after the game at Hampdem.

Are you fucking kidding me???

I know, I thought the anthems were before the game.

Also, I missed the start because of the queues, thus was not booing.

4 hours ago, HaarDon said:

FIFA have fined the SFA for Scottish fans booing at Israeli's national anthem after the game at Hampdem.

Are you fucking kidding me???

It’s a standard FIFA money making racket at the moment. These sort of fines are being handed out almost every international break. 

22 minutes ago, Jute said:

It’s a standard FIFA money making racket at the moment. These sort of fines are being handed out almost every international break. 

So we can't boo next time we play Engerlund or call them English hooligan wankers???

Aww😓

I think we're primed for a slip up here. Dykes being out is massive, Christie to a lesser extent. We just haven't found a way to play yet that doesn't involve the combination of Dykes and Adams up front. Unless the new boy is good, I just don't see how we plug the gap. If they get a goal from nothing, we're pretty much screwed as I don't see us getting two. On the plus side, they're fairly shite.