Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Clarke's 3-5-2 has generally done well for us since the Euros but two things killed it last night: missing Tierney and a right-sided right back, and Ukraine having weeks to prepare specifically for it. The gap between the two teams narrowed significantly when we went to four at the back.

On 02/06/2022 at 14:53, wee toon red said:

Clarke's 3-5-2 has generally done well for us since the Euros but two things killed it last night: missing Tierney and a right-sided right back, and Ukraine having weeks to prepare specifically for it. The gap between the two teams narrowed significantly when we went to four at the back.

Completely agree but for me the biggest difference between the teams was Ukraine wanted it more.   And of course they did. 

53 minutes ago, Jute said:

Anyone heading to the Armenia game tomorrow should note there are no trains back to Glasgow Central after the game and last train to Edinburgh is 2215 from Queen Street. No trains after 8 to Dundee or Perth. 

Shambolic 🙄

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Anyone heading to the Armenia game tomorrow should note there are no trains back to Glasgow Central after the game and last train to Edinburgh is 2215 from Queen Street. No trains after 8 to Dundee or Perth. 

Fuck sake, I thought it was in Armenia, just arrived this morning. Hopefully manage to get a train back.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Haha 1

Certainly seems like the wheels are coming off for Scotland at the moment. Just the manner of the defeats is what is really discouraging. Ireland were there for the taking and 3-0 probably does flatter them but we didnt look like doing anything ourselves. Need to take a bit of time to reflect but not feeling particularily positive about the national side.

Abysmal today. Taken me until now to calm down enough to be able to type. Clarke needs to be asked to explain why he changed a winning team especially to give game time to Hanley. Do not understand changing a defence that looked balanced and solid against (an admittedly shite) Armenia. 

Hanley is absolute horse shit. One of those defenders (Colin Hendry at higher end of the scale, Zander Diamond at the lower end) that can sometimes look deceptively good with last gasp tackles or goal line clearances but more often than not the scoring chance only came about because they lost their marker or were caught out of position. 

9 hours ago, Slim said:

Hanley is absolute horse shit. One of those defenders (Colin Hendry at higher end of the scale, Zander Diamond at the lower end) that can sometimes look deceptively good with last gasp tackles or goal line clearances but more often than not the scoring chance only came about because they lost their marker or were caught out of position. 

I could understand why he got a game when we were really short on defenders but not now.  Never rated him, was genuinely baffled when Norwich offered him a long deal a while back. 

I've never been a fan of Hanley, but he was one of our best players in qualifying for the Euros and at those Euros. He's strong and aggressive and is good to have in a three, when you've got someone like Tierney bombing around and someone that can play football on the other side. There is still a place for a no nonsense defender. Attackers don't like it, and often the simple thing just needs to be done. Compare with McTominay fucking about with it and still making mistakes and you can see why. Hanley massively redeemed himself over the past few years and I think it would be unfair to throw him back under the bus just yet. 

I think playing both Hanley and McKenna isn't a good pairing, and we see a massive drop off when Tierney is out in general. 

I think the timing of these fixtures has really done us in. We don't look fit, and the players look ready for their holidays. Hanley is a player who was always terrible when he wasn't match sharp. You really can't afford a guy who plays like he does being half a second late to every ball. We should have used the squad better and kept Souttar. 

The worst thing about yesterday for me was the absolutely clueless triple sub. Screamed of not knowing what to do. Could Stewart not bring something to Adams game, coming on at half time? Gilmour is a youngster who should have been given the summer to rest and improve his game too.

Clarke’s undoubtedly got a few things wrong these last few games.

Anyone can see Robertson needs a holiday, he should have let him go after the Ukraine game and given Hickey the following three games.

Adams is no lone striker. Felt sorry for the boy in the last three games because he has nothing to go on. In Dykes absence, give the Sunderland lad a chance alongside Che.

The two Armenia games would have been a great opportunity to blood one of the new goalies because with Marshall and McGregor retired we need to get these younger guys some caps and a bit of confidence so that they are prepared if needed in the future. 

Also wish Clarke would stick with Stuart Armstrong for more than five minutes. He is a really talented player but is in for a game, then out or else on as sub or subbed off, similar to how Clarke treats Christie actually.

On the plus side, McKenna starting to look a bit more composed in the dark blue and Ralston is a decent right back.

Have to say that is easily the worst Ireland team in my lifetime. Bar Duffy, McLean and the Liverpool second goalie those names on their team sheet were nobodies.

On a different topic, don’t know how they manage it but bloody Wales managed to fluke another good result again. 🧐