Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Aye, that was brutal stuff. Good to see Gilmour in the flesh, he's going to be phenomenal for Scotland. The rest for fairly gash. Haar Don was right to suggest playing Nisbet tonight. Hopefully we'll never see him in a Scotland top again. The defence was solid because Moldova were gash. I don't get the hype over Patterson - he was just okay. Ramsay looks more ready, but I fully expect the weegie press to hype is performance to the moon when O'Donnell would be far more deserving of a place against Austria. Need more from Christie, or we should shunt him for Turnbull. I think we'll lose on Tuesday. There is very little drive in the team.

I thought dykes and Fraser paired up quite well when they played together, surprised Clarke didn’t try that today. Also wondering how much the austria game and three games in a week played into who and how we played today. Thought Tierney would have rested today and McKenna play, especially with his injury record. Likewise, I wouldn’t have played Gilmour today. No doubt club managers will take issue with those boys playing all 3 games.

41 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

I looked it up and Nisbet completed five passes in the whole game, fewer than every other player on the pitch except two Moldovan substitutes who came on in the 88th and 94th minute. Pretty sure he was playing dodgeball.

2 of those involved the pass which led to the goal and another laid off a great ball into Gilmour who missed an absolute sitter.

Dykes even mishit his tap-in from a yard out.

We have very rarely been blessed with a great and prolific striker so I shouldn't expect too much.

I read somewhere in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the national team we have only had 12 players (i think) who scored over 10 goals. That's fucking awful!

How many times do our shots sky over the bar or go wide in games. The skill levels for strikes are terrible.What are our coaches doing???

Israel will qualify deservedly. They are a better team than us.

I'm gonna go Austria 3 Scotland 0.

That's how bad I think we are even if we show glimpses of skill at times.

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

2 of those involved the pass which led to the goal and another laid off a great ball into Gilmour who missed an absolute sitter.

Dykes even mishit his tap-in from a yard out.

We have very rarely been blessed with a great and prolific striker so I shouldn't expect too much.

I read somewhere in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the national team we have only had 12 players (i think) who scored over 10 goals. That's fucking awful!

How many times do our shots sky over the bar or go wide in games. The skill levels for strikes are terrible.What are our coaches doing???

Israel will qualify deservedly. They are a better team than us.

I'm gonna go Austria 3 Scotland 0.

That's how bad I think we are even if we show glimpses of skill at times.

He was involved in the goal, but he was non-existent outside of the two moments you mention which were both basically give and gos that someone else (Patterson/Gilmour) played off him. I mean fair play on him not making an arse of those two passes but if he can't get into a game against Moldova at home where we had umpteen attacking opportunities then he has no chance against a better side. 

4 hours ago, LA-Don said:

I thought dykes and Fraser paired up quite well when they played together, surprised Clarke didn’t try that today. Also wondering how much the austria game and three games in a week played into who and how we played today. Thought Tierney would have rested today and McKenna play, especially with his injury record. Likewise, I wouldn’t have played Gilmour today. No doubt club managers will take issue with those boys playing all 3 games.

I don't think we'd have won the game without Gilmour. Fraser isn't playing at the moment, so I can see why he wasn't playing after a fairly average performance against Denmark too. I think the intention would have been to be 3 up and make the changes to rest the the team, but obviously we couldn't hit the ball accurately towards the goal. 

Hopefully Clarke is scouring the internet for Scottish grannies as we speak to see if they have any strikers hidden abroad.

With Israel winning, we've got a fantastic opportunity now, we just need a couple of performances like the one against England (in terms of effort and tempo) and we'll get second place. We need Dykes to have the game of his life as unfortunately he's the best we've got.

Agree with Rico one of few pleasures from last night was watching Gilmour in the flesh. He is a great player.

After watching Patterson last night he is a good player but Ramsey is already a better player. We have a real star on our hands and Scotland are well covered at right back now. 

However overall last night was very disappointing. Despite having a number of shots very few actually troubled their keeper. We will not get anywhere near as many chances in Vienna on Tuesday. I am not convinced any of our strikers are good enough to convert any of the few chances we get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think we'd have won the game without Gilmour. Fraser isn't playing at the moment, so I can see why he wasn't playing after a fairly average performance against Denmark too. I think the intention would have been to be 3 up and make the changes to rest the the team, but obviously we couldn't hit the ball accurately towards the goal. 

Hopefully Clarke is scouring the internet for Scottish grannies as we speak to see if they have any strikers hidden abroad.

With Israel winning, we've got a fantastic opportunity now, we just need a couple of performances like the one against England (in terms of effort and tempo) and we'll get second place. We need Dykes to have the game of his life as unfortunately he's the best we've got.

Sorry Rico but no chance.

Israel scored 5 against Austria...5.

They're way better than us currently and can actually score goals.

Edited by HaarDon

2 hours ago, Jute said:

Agree with Rico one of few pleasures from last night was watching Gilmour in the flesh. He is a great player.

After watching Patterson last night he is a good player but Ramsey is already a better player. We have a real star on our hands and Scotland are well covered at right back now. 

However overall last night was very disappointing. Despite having a number of shots very few actually troubled their keeper. We will not get anywhere near as many chances in Vienna on Tuesday. I am not convinced any of our strikers are good enough to convert any of the few chances we get.

I was saying to a pal last night that I thought Ramsey was the better prospect from what I've seen.  We will do well to keep Ramsey 2 seasons but we should get big money for him cos the kids got it all. 

2 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

I was saying to a pal last night that I thought Ramsey was the better prospect from what I've seen.  We will do well to keep Ramsey 2 seasons but we should get big money for him cos the kids got it all. 

I don't know if Ramsay is the better prospect, I'd have to see more of Patterson, but I'd say that currently he looks the better player of the two. Patterson looks to be a bit quicker, which will really work in his favour and could take him further, Ramsay has a composure and confidence miles beyond his years, but then that means less potential (he's already got it). 

What irks me a little is the media are putting him in that Scotland team, and they're also making it difficult for Clarke to make the correct decision (in my opinion) to leave him out for the Austria game. If O'Donnell had performed like Patterson yesterday, we'd have been playing down his part in the goal and highlighting the basic errors, poor positioning and poor use of the ball.

Patterson looked like a player not playing every week. I don't think it's the job of the national team to develop a young player for a club, thus Ramsay should be in the squad ahead of him, until the point that the Huns actually develop him. I'd raise a slight double standard for Gilmour, who is an exceptional talent - however that is being rewarded with regular fitba.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't know if Ramsay is the better prospect, I'd have to see more of Patterson, but I'd say that currently he looks the better player of the two. Patterson looks to be a bit quicker, which will really work in his favour and could take him further, Ramsay has a composure and confidence miles beyond his years, but then that means less potential (he's already got it). 

What irks me a little is the media are putting him in that Scotland team, and they're also making it difficult for Clarke to make the correct decision (in my opinion) to leave him out for the Austria game. If O'Donnell had performed like Patterson yesterday, we'd have been playing down his part in the goal and highlighting the basic errors, poor positioning and poor use of the ball.

Patterson looked like a player not playing every week. I don't think it's the job of the national team to develop a young player for a club, thus Ramsay should be in the squad ahead of him, until the point that the Huns actually develop him. I'd raise a slight double standard for Gilmour, who is an exceptional talent - however that is being rewarded with regular fitba.

The reason I say he's a better prospect is because Ramsey can defend, Patterson is clearly still suspect there. I would also disagree it diminishes his potential, indeed it think it increases it because at just 18 think how much better he can get.  I genuinely think this kid could go to the very top, if Patterson's defending doesn't improve I doubt he will. 

33 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

The reason I say he's a better prospect is because Ramsey can defend, Patterson is clearly still suspect there. I would also disagree it diminishes his potential, indeed it think it increases it because at just 18 think how much better he can get.  I genuinely think this kid could go to the very top, if Patterson's defending doesn't improve I doubt he will. 

Yep, agreed, Patterson's defending isn't good enough for international football yet and Scotland shouldn't be a platform for basic player development. When I said diminishes his potential, I was referring specifically to his composure and confidence, which doesn't have much room for improvement at all. The best part about Ramsay is that you can see an obvious pathway for him to really get better and better, as well as his physical attributes improving. I'm genuinely unsure if Patterson will address the weaker elements of his game. He reminds me of Hutton, who certainly went on to have a great career despite some obvious limitations. 

It's frustrating that Ramsay isn't even in the discussion when talking about right backs. It shows a pathetic lack of understanding and the obvious bias of the media.

We can all be guilty of knee jerk reactions especially as Scotland fans because we are desperate to unearth a few real superstars who could transform our team.  I just wish we would give young players a chance to bed in to their club teams before we start proclaiming them to be the next saviour of Scottish football.  We did it with Oliver Burke, he was rushed into international football way too early and has never managed to hold down a first team place at his club.  We are also in danger of doing it with Billy Gilmour.  Yes, the guy looks great but he has played the square root of zero games at club level.

Both Ramsay and Patterson have played about a dozen first team games each, they should be nowhere near the international team yet.  It must be a massive kick in the teeth to every Scottish right back that we cannot find someone to replace O'Donnell without resorting to a player who has barely played for his club side.  Also begs the question, why have we dropped David Marshall, a massively experienced player, on the basis that he is not playing for his club yet we are playing Patterson, also not playing for his club?

13 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

We can all be guilty of knee jerk reactions especially as Scotland fans because we are desperate to unearth a few real superstars who could transform our team.  I just wish we would give young players a chance to bed in to their club teams before we start proclaiming them to be the next saviour of Scottish football.  We did it with Oliver Burke, he was rushed into international football way too early and has never managed to hold down a first team place at his club.  We are also in danger of doing it with Billy Gilmour.  Yes, the guy looks great but he has played the square root of zero games at club level.

Both Ramsay and Patterson have played about a dozen first team games each, they should be nowhere near the international team yet.  It must be a massive kick in the teeth to every Scottish right back that we cannot find someone to replace O'Donnell without resorting to a player who has barely played for his club side.  Also begs the question, why have we dropped David Marshall, a massively experienced player, on the basis that he is not playing for his club yet we are playing Patterson, also not playing for his club?

Gilmour is playing for Norwich every week and I'd clearly ready for the first team. He's already better than the other options.

I get the impression that there was a little more to it with Marshall, but not sure. Also, a young player coming through would offer more continuity than an older player not playing, so I sort of understand it. 

I think you're right about Ramsay though, I don't think he's international standard yet either, just that he's better than Patterson. That said, we're really poorly covered in that role. I think Shaun Rooney can probably feel a little disappointed not to be brought along after the season he had last year. Again, he's not "international class" as such, but simply better than the alternatives in the same way that Considine was previously.

It's weird what's happened to Marshall after becoming a cult figure at the end of the last campaign.

I think he's better than Gordon too who I still won't forgive for our draw against Engerlund as I've said before.🙂

Luckily, Austria's midfield maestro isn't playing but I don't think it will make much difference in the end result.

23 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Totally agree Jute.

He's inexperienced but so what. He's brilliant and level headed.

Aye, but he's not an inexperienced Hun. The double standard here is staggering.

I think I'd have had Rooney ahead of McGinn to be honest. Although maybe he could get a lift fae his brither.

48 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Aye, but he's not an inexperienced Hun. The double standard here is staggering.

I think I'd have had Rooney ahead of McGinn to be honest. Although maybe he could get a lift fae his brither.

Had forgotten about Rooney. Also a far better option than Paul McGinn. 

39 minutes ago, Jute said:

Had forgotten about Rooney. Also a far better option than Paul McGinn. 

Again, late notice, McGinn has been with a squad before so knows the drill, so perhaps just a case of pragmatism over ability. It's not a horrendous pick and assuming O'Donnell is fine then we won't see McGinn anyway.