Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Celeb Deaths

fatjim

Lucky enough to have seen him play.

I wasn't lucky enough to see him play as he never played against AFC and that was before my brief period of watching Scotland. What game(s) did you see him in out of interest?

On the phone, I described him as the best European footballer ever to my daughter just now. He came up on the news and I just instinctively said that. On reflection, I think I might have been right. Can't think of too many contenders?

I wasn't lucky enough to see him play as he never played against AFC and that was before my brief period of watching Scotland. What game(s) did you see him in out of interest?

On the phone, I described him as the best European footballer ever to my daughter just now. He came up on the news and I just instinctively said that. On reflection, I think I might have been right. Can't think of too many contenders?

Feel dirty saying this but it was at Parkhead against The Victims in a European game (1982) I think it was.

Only went with a couple of mates as it was likely to be the only chance I would have to see him play.

In the twilight of his career, but still possessed a great footballing brain.

Wonder how long it'll be beforewe hear another JC's take on the situation?

Reporter: So Jimmy, when did you last speak to Cruyff?

JC: Oh well, Johan was a wonnerful player. He really was

Reporter: and the last time you spoke to him?

JC: Big Johan, in training, just wonnerful. A lovely guy.

Reporter: so you spoke to him recently?

JC: he never spoke to me in the entire time I played in Holland, or since. I've never spoken to him. But I've heard him speaking. On the TV.

Heavy smoker, died of cancer. That's a correlation that's been done before.

But having given up for 3 years after a 33 year habit, I'm still addicted to nicotine.

I use that spray and I swear it's the reason I'm facing thousands in dental work.

Just give up people. Loser habit and don't use QuickMist spray when you do quit.

Was saying to my mate I think that's the first time I've heard him mention Wee Marco in an interview.

Aye, that was a surprise! You'd think that at the rate he shits names into conversation, he'd have mentioned it before. It leads me to think he made it up for the interview.

Zidane is the greatest European player of all time for my money. In fact, if i could pay to get into a match to see anyone play at their best, past or present, it would be to watch Zidane.

Cruyff is probably the coolest & most iconic player of all time; the number 14, the two stripes on his adidas Holland top as he was sponsored by Puma, passing the penalty to Jesper Olsen (?), having a turn named after him - and not a turn he invented, it just so happened he was the absolute best at it. 

He also had that classic self belief/arrogance required - Jan Molby said that when he joined Ajax, Cruyff was there in the twilight of his career but Molby hadn't seen him at training all week, then Cruyff strolls into the changing room before the match on the Saturday. Molby nervously introduced himself and Cruyff says; 'I'll give you one bit of advice. When you get the ball, give it to me because I'll be the best player on the park'.

The Guardian has a tribute to Cruyff today. Typically, they've used a picture of Robbie Rensenbrink to go with it...  ::)

Great point. I asked this in the pub tonight. Platini was the best answer I got but we all forgot about Zizou.

Now that makes it a contest.

Cruyff did magic nobody ever saw previously. Nothing to do with romance and everything to do with inspiring others, I'll still go with Johan. Zidane wasn't necessarily as consistent in delivering excellence, bar a 12/18 month period of sublime sublimeness.

EDIT: This is an age thing. I wouldn't and couldn't argue against Puskas and Eusebio because I wasn't around to watch them play on the telly and read about them week in week out.

I was around for Cruyff though.

I think with Zidane, for me anyway, we saw someone playing the game with a very distinct style which we maybe hadn't seen before (or certainly not seen a lot of), maybe Michael Laudrup to an extent.

I've not read the Guardian piece yet but just noticed it's by David Winner who wrote Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football, the best football book i've ever read, I would highly recommend it.  http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/25/johan-cruyff-father-modern-game-dutch

Agree about the age thing. The lack of footage etc is also a hindrance when trying to compare players and teams from different eras. The other thing is that everyone has their own idea of what a footballer should be.  Sticking with the Dutch theme, pretty much most commentators would say that out of the famous AC Milan Dutch trio van Basten and Gullit were the star turns - and they were exceptional players in their own right, but according to Arrigo Saachi and Franco Baresi, Frank Rijkaard was the best out the three of them.  But goals and forward players always dominate these things; I'm not sure that's right but that's a different argument altogether.

Cruyff did magic nobody ever saw previously. Nothing to do with romance and everything to do with inspiring others, I'll still go with Johan. Zidane wasn't necessarily as consistent in delivering excellence, bar a 12/18 month period of sublime sublimeness.

EDIT: This is an age thing. I wouldn't and couldn't argue against Puskas and Eusebio because I wasn't around to watch them play on the telly and read about them week in week out.

I was around for Cruyff though.

Almost this, but I was always a Beckenbauer fan as well

Ronnie Corbett - 85

Fuck sake.... didn't know about this until now.

Two Ronnies were brilliant in their day.

Met Ronnie Corbett about fifteen years ago.

Was at the driving range one morning about 9am.

I was using third or fourth bay down and no one else there.

A particularly vertically challenged male suddenly appeared in bay number one, furiously hitting balls

After about ten minutes, said male walks over and asks me if I wanted the remaining half of his bucket of balls as he needed to leave for his tee time on Royal Troon. Despite this, he then proceeded to converse with me for a full ten minutes until his driver appeared in telling him they had to go.

What you saw was what you got, an absolute gentleman.

RIP Mr Corbett

Fuck sake.... didn't know about this until now.

Two Ronnies were brilliant in their day.

Met Ronnie Corbett about fifteen years ago.

Was at the driving range one morning about 9am.

I was using third or fourth bay down and no one else there.

A particularly vertically challenged male suddenly appeared in bay number one, furiously hitting balls

After about ten minutes, said male walks over and asks me if I wanted the remaining half of his bucket of balls as he needed to leave for his tee time on Royal Troon. Despite this, he then proceeded to converse with me for a full ten minutes until his driver appeared in telling him they had to go.

What you saw was what you got, an absolute gentleman.

RIP Mr Corbett

That's brilliant Al.

I thought the wee man was great, and it's been good reliving some of the classic clips today. By all accounts a thoroughly decent bloke.

His appearance in Extras was brilliant.

Speaking of Extras - that's Bowie and Corbett now, is this the Gervais curse?!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that 62 is 62 whatever the era.

Yes it's very young these days. She had a short battle with the big C apparently.

Great artist. Lovely nature.

You ken fit I mean though Rocket

It's nae exactly vintage, and I reckon we're both approaching  ;)