🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Celeb Deaths

fatjim

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lemmy - 70  :(

RIP Lemmy. Saw them at Reading 79, my first festival. The Capitol gig on the Bomber Tour was incredible, the Ace of Spades being the best live song I've ever seen.

He was a strange man but a wonderful performer. Bought me and my mate a drink - "whatever you're having Lemmy". Carlsberg Special Brew. May have not been as sexually active as one might expect given the "rock and roll lifestyle". Deeply insecure under it all and never married or had a long term relationship (to my knowledge) in the last half of his life at least.

RIP Lemmy. Saw them at Reading 79, my first festival. The Capitol gig on the Bomber Tour was incredible, the Ace of Spades being the best live song I've ever seen.

He was a strange man but a wonderful performer. Bought me and my mate a drink - "whatever you're having Lemmy". Carlsberg Special Brew. May have not been as sexually active as one might expect given the "rock and roll lifestyle". Deeply insecure under it all and never married or had a long term relationship (to my knowledge) in the last half of his life at least.

Was there in late '79 at the Capitol as well Rocket.

Woke up the following morning with a ringing noise in my ears.

Am I havering or did Saxon support them that night  ???

Was there in late '79 at the Capitol as well Rocket.

Woke up the following morning with a ringing noise in my ears.

Am I havering or did Saxon support them that night  ???

Girl School was the support act. I didn't see them because I was in the bar where we met Lemmy. The reason I remember who the support act was was because I confronted Lemmy about them. "You said in Sounds that by the end of the tour you would have had every one of them Lemmy. How's that going?"

When he said "nah, just the blonde", me and my mate knew he was bullshitting and we were half his age at the time.

Must have been more pissed than I realised, either that or I completely missed the support act.

Definitely saw Saxon as support to someone around that time at the Capitol  ???

Reckon it wasn't this Motorhead gig I was at.

Think they played at the Capitol in late 1979 and also late in 1980 and reckon it was the second one I was at Rocket

• 2 weeks later...

Bowie lived as art. He didn't always hit. He missed big too - Murrayfield in 83 wasn't a great gig - but when he hit, it was uniquely compelling. There will never be another because he was the living embodiment of individuality and originality. Some of his music will last forever, it's that good.

I loved his continuous challenges to convention. He was wise beyond not just his years but beyond collective "wisdom". He saw things that even seriously talented musicians couldn't grasp until the masterpiece was complete.

Tarantino's use of Cat People, putting out fire in Inglourious B was one of the best uses of music in cinematography.

I've listened to a lot of Bowie these last 24 hours (plus seen a lot of his interviews) but thanks for the reminder of Wild is the Wind, a song I had not heard for a good few years... until just now. It is indeed another very special work which once again proves the genius of the man. It was the earlier Hunky Dory when the star man first blew my mind.

There is one thing that David Cameron and I agree on. He described Bowie as a genius yesterday. The irony in that lizard serpent cunt declaring admiration for Bowie is heavy. There is a heavy odds-against chance that Cameron genuinely meant it whereas there is such a heavily odds-on chance that Bowie would have hated Cameron that the book may not even have been open to punters. If the bookies were right, and they usually are, then the question that needs to be explored is why Cameron said it? That leads to such an obvious possibility that that book would have been closed too.

Bowie's über-fans are singing all his songs in the street at Brixton. That bugs me. Not as much as Cameron's insincerity but it bugs me more than anything I consider a tolerable level. Faux grief comes in different ways and for different purposes. Look how much I loved Bowie, they say, but the PM does it to get down with the electorate and the vigil mentality folk do it to tell others that they were there, although some will be so obsessed that it masks the inadequacy of their own sad lives.

Seeing some of his interviews, I loved how nervous Chris Evans and Jonathan Ross were with Bowie. They were shitting themselves. Those two don't have any artistic talent of course but have managed to persuade TV executives to give them a career based only on their personalities. Hey, I quite like Evans and I think he is genuine at what he does and can be funny but he's a lightweight if we're talking art or anything of substance. In fact he's not even on the scale when it comes to artistic endeavour but watching how they felt so inadequate in front of a genuinely gifted human being, one who represented danger because of his nihilism and his antipathy towards them was beauty in essence. Ross is, of course, the king of twats but it's all about them, Ross and Evans. Their ego's have run unchecked for so long, fuelled by grossly-negotiated packages that they believe that they are their show, unlike Norton actually and unlike the great interviewers of yesteryear.

It was only his last 25 years when Bowie found himself as a person, well into his 40's. He was always highly intelligent but it was the coherence within him that didn't exist before. His ability to relate and discuss ideas in his latter years, particularly on Parkinson and with Paxman became razor sharp thanks to the simplicity and clarity of his faultless critical thinking.

EDIT: Bowie turned down a CBE and a knighthood. Imagine even offering a knighthood after he turned down the CBE? They just don't get it. Politicians aren't of the people and haven't been for decades leading to centuries.

I've listened to a lot of Bowie these last 24 hours (plus seen a lot of his interviews) but thanks for the reminder of Wild is the Wind, a song I had not heard for a good few years... until just now. It is indeed another very special work which once again proves the genius of the man. It was the earlier Hunky Dory when the star man first blew my mind.

There is one thing that David Cameron and I agree on. He described Bowie as a genius yesterday. The irony in that lizard serpent cunt declaring admiration for Bowie is heavy. There is a heavy odds-against chance that Cameron genuinely meant it whereas there is such a heavily odds-on chance that Bowie would have hated Cameron that the book may not even have been open to punters. If the bookies were right, and they usually are, then the question that needs to be explored is why Cameron said it? That leads to such an obvious possibility that that book would have been closed too.

Bowie's über-fans are singing all his songs in the street at Brixton. That bugs me. Not as much as Cameron's insincerity but it bugs me more than anything I consider a tolerable level. Faux grief comes in different ways and for different purposes. Look how much I loved Bowie, they say, but the PM does it to get down with the electorate and the vigil mentality folk do it to tell others that they were there, although some will be so obsessed that it masks the inadequacy of their own sad lives.

Seeing some of his interviews, I loved how nervous Chris Evans and Jonathan Ross were with Bowie. They were shitting themselves. Those two don't have any artistic talent of course but have managed to persuade TV executives to give them a career based only on their personalities. Hey, I quite like Evans and I think he is genuine at what he does and can be funny but he's a lightweight if we're talking art or anything of substance. In fact he's not even on the scale when it comes to artistic endeavour but watching how they felt so inadequate in front of a genuinely gifted human being, one who represented danger because of his nihilism and his antipathy towards them was beauty in essence. Ross is, of course, the king of twats but it's all about them, Ross and Evans. Their ego's have run unchecked for so long, fuelled by grossly-negotiated packages that they believe that they are their show, unlike Norton actually and unlike the great interviewers of yesteryear.

It was only his last 25 years when Bowie found himself as a person, well into his 40's. He was always highly intelligent but it was the coherence within him that didn't exist before. His ability to relate and discuss ideas in his latter years, particularly on Parkinson and with Paxman became razor sharp thanks to the simplicity and clarity of his faultless critical thinking.

EDIT: Bowie turned down a CBE and a knighthood. Imagine even offering a knighthood after he turned down the CBE? They just don't get it. Politicians aren't of the people and haven't been for decades leading to centuries.

Great post. Totally agree. Especially the chat show host bit, Ross is a man who stopped learning in his twenties. Shame, because he doesn't appear to be stupid.

To add, how do we know Cameron's feelings on the subject, and why are we supposed to give a shite? Listening to radio Scotland yesterday and in the morning they were announcing the death before announcing the Tweets in the same breath. It was almost as if Cameron and Sturgeon's thoughts on it were as important as the death itself. On the way home from work they'd moved to Kanye West and some ither cunt. None of whom you'd immediately think "I wonder how XXX feels about this", just a not-even-tenuous bunch of no-marks. It raises a serious and sinister question of how these required opinions are decided and on what merit. Who in the BBC chose Cameron's comments as pertinent to the death of Bowie and why (Sturgeon obviously a Tim/Hun style inclusion in that you can't give one coverage without the other)? It gives them both a free airing beyond their own merit and relevance - like free PR, or to give the illusion that either should be held in higher regard than the society below them. A bit like when changes are mentioned in Scottish fitba. We're immediately given the opinion of Delia (previously Lennon, who was consistently given a platform for his opinions) and some hun on the proposals as if their opinion should hold more weight.

Anyway, Bowie, loved a lot of his music and liked listening to him talk. Seemed a decent sort.

Great post. Totally agree. Especially the chat show host bit, Ross is a man who stopped learning in his twenties. Shame, because he doesn't appear to be stupid.

To add, how do we know Cameron's feelings on the subject, and why are we supposed to give a shite? Listening to radio Scotland yesterday and in the morning they were announcing the death before announcing the Tweets in the same breath. It was almost as if Cameron and Sturgeon's thoughts on it were as important as the death itself. On the way home from work they'd moved to Kanye West and some ither cunt. None of whom you'd immediately think "I wonder how XXX feels about this", just a not-even-tenuous bunch of no-marks. It raises a serious and sinister question of how these required opinions are decided and on what merit. Who in the BBC chose Cameron's comments as pertinent to the death of Bowie and why (Sturgeon obviously a Tim/Hun style inclusion in that you can't give one coverage without the other)? It gives them both a free airing beyond their own merit and relevance - like free PR, or to give the illusion that either should be held in higher regard than the society below them. A bit like when changes are mentioned in Scottish fitba. We're immediately given the opinion of Delia (previously Lennon, who was consistently given a platform for his opinions) and some hun on the proposals as if their opinion should hold more weight.

Anyway, Bowie, loved a lot of his music and liked listening to him talk. Seemed a decent sort.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I heard exactly the sort of thing you're talking about there.  It's a default process for news programmes/stations now - we must have a reaction from social media and we must have the reaction from the rich and famous.

This was David Bowie though - an artist of great substance, whose work speaks for itself and has done for nigh on half a century, an icon, it would have been nice if they could have missed out the trite and lazy journalism this time.