Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Raith

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20100920/dons-get-up-for-the-cup_2212158_2145711

The Dons face first division side Raith Rovers in the third round of the Co-operative Insurance Cup and kids can enjoy all the drama of the cup for just £4!

We've slashed prices for this cup clash as we urge members of the Red Army to get up for the cup and roar the Dons on to the next round. 

Adult tickets start from just £12, with Under 12's able to snap up a ticket for only £4!

-----------

In/oot: Oot

Prematcher: Working

Match: Red TV

Postmatch: Bed

Prediction: narrow win - http://www.donstalk.co.uk/messageboard/index.php?topic=13267.0

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20100921/raith-rovers-v-aberdeen_2212158_2161084

Mark McGhee spoke to RedTV  at lunchtime and starting by giving the team news. "Everything is as it was. Aluko, Pawlett and obviously Fyvie are still missing and Veli?ka is not quite ready yet. Everything else is the same. I only had 16 players training today but as we only need to name 5 subs I won't have to draft in any of the boys from the U19s.

"I think enough has changed that last year will not be big in the minds of the players. Even Chris Maguire for example was not here last year. There are a lot of the guys not burdened by what happened last season in the Scottish Cup. I hope that is the case and I have certainly been trying to make it like that.

"This is a fresh game against a team and like any other team we will look at them closely. I think they have improved since last year. We have to show them that we have improved clearly. So it is going to be a difficult game but we are an SPL club and I think our supporters should expect us to win the game. We know we are going to have to work really hard to do that.

"I think the squad have more of a unity about us than last year. That I believe has given us more of a mental toughness. Individually I don't know if this group of players has any more mental toughness than the likes of Mark Kerr or Gary McDonald. Certainly we are more together than we were last year. That has given us a better spirit and mentality not to be beaten and to keep going in games.

"A good cup round would be hugely beneficial from the point of view of this squad and their development. I think we have a lot more to come because the players who are out will be back. If we could get through this round and get to a point where we have Aluko and Veli?ka and Pawlett all back, giving us further attacking options then I think we would be in a good position to progress. At the moment though we have to concentrate fully on Raith. I will be a very tough game.

"They are doing brilliantly. We have had them watched the last two games at Ross County and then at Dundee. They did not concede a goal, they have a great work ethic, they are well organised team. They make themselves very difficult to beat but still have a threat up front. They are well balanced in that respect. It is up to us to break them down.

"We have to start the game at a high tempo. We can't let them have a rest physically or mentally. We have to keep at them. Keep the pressure on and try and make the first break through.

"I am working for our supporters to win football matches. Our supporters badly want a cup run and we have an opportunity against a team from a lower division at home so therefore rightly the supporters expect us to win. We have to go out and deliver.

Paul Hartley spoke to RedMatchday ahead of the game "They have had a cracking start to the season. I know John McGlynn from my time at Hearts. He has done a remarkable job there. He has got them well organised, they play good football. I saw them pre-season. They have a good spirit amongst themselves. They have some good players. I played with a couple of their boys at Hearts.

It is going to be a tough night. We can't switch off and have to have the right attitude. They are going great guns at the moment and will fancy their chances coming here. As I say it will be a tough game for us but we are at home and have a chance to progress to the next round which will be the Quarter Finals."

Surprise surprise the headline is scewed and misleading as to the content of what is said.  ::)

I cannot afford another cup disaster with Aberdeen, admits Mark McGhee

Sep 22 2010 Ian Orr

MARK McGhee is confident Aberdeen will avoid another embarrassing cup exit as they seek to avenge last season's defeat to Raith.

The Dons crashed out of the Scottish Cup in February after losing a fifth-round replay to John McGlynn's First Division shock troops at Pittodrie.

McGhee welcomes Rovers back to the Granite City tonight with another quarter-final place at stake.

Last season the Dons boss was spat at by furious fans who threw scarves and season tickets on the trackside after the defeat that McGhee labelled the lowest point of his 40 years in the game.

Now fully aware that another defeat by the First Division side would put his job on the line, McGhee said: "That defeat is something I will never forget because it was the worst moment of my entire career.

"But it isn't something that affects my performance. I remember it but I would like to think I'm very good at shutting results like that out and taking positives to move forward.

"I want to progress in this cup but not because of what happened last year.

"There is no doubt that the cups bring extra pressure but I have been determined in emphasising that many of my players weren't involved before.

"Some of them know nothing about Aberdeen's record and I certainly haven't talked about it. It's not an issue as far as the players are concerned."

McGhee wants his players to come flying out of the blocks, stressing the importance of making the breakthrough.

He said: "The first goal is all-important. If we lose it means the confidence of the players and fans will be affected and it'll bring back memories of last season.

"I will be thinking 'here we go again' because it could then start to get difficult for us.

"But if we score first it will ask a question of Raith Rovers and will generate confidence in my team.

"We will have to show the urgency and determination to get the first goal."