Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Raith

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what to say about that...

Thought we were fairly shocking in the first half, although to be honest i was quite impressed with raith.  Thought they knocked it around very well and dominated large parts of the first half.  Ifil looked badly at fault for the 2nd, although the rest of the game he wasnt completely useless, which going on my previous opinion of him is actually a compliment.  Langfield was also badly at fault for the first, living up to his nickname really flapping at the ball and not collecting.

The second half we looked like a much better team, and it may sound silly but it seemed to be when mackie was brought on. fair enough he had a shocking miss from a very good position however he brought so much to the team, we simply looked better once he was on, chasing everything and not giving the raith defence a minutes piece, which was a big change compared to the 1st half!

I was very very worried noticing that Hartley had to keep shouting over to the bench telling mcghee how the team should be lined up, at one point he must have spent a good couple of minutes shouting Oi! at mcghee before giving him instructions at which point mcghee turned towards him, held his hands up then sat down.  To me thats a pretty big worry, not because hartley was giving instructions and showing some leadership, but that mcghee basically needed a bollocking from his own player in order to make tactical tweaks.  Its not something ive noticed before, although admittedly we have missed having a captain like that.

I thought Maguire had a cracking 2nd half once he was moved out wide, in complete contrast to his first halfwhere he wasnt hugely effective.  Vernon seems t be the type of player that offers very little except goals, although this isnt a criticism as we have lacked a player like that for years! Meggison made some clever runs in the first half, which werent picked up by team mates, although seems wasted out wide.  The simple fact is that we need to stop playing strikers on the wing, and centre halfs at full back.  We will get found out badly if it keeps up.

I thought Jack was fairly impressive when he came on, seems to be able to read the game, pass, tackle etc very well.  I was speaking to Neil Simpson after the match in the gothenburg lounge who mentioned that Ryan Jack was streets ahead of Fyvie 2 years ago, only to suffer from an extended period recovering from a broken foot which has set him back, by all accounts he is very highly rated by Simmy atleast who was tipping him for big things!

Rather more worryingly he mentioned that Hartley looks to have pulled his hamstring, which could lead to him being out from anywhere between 10 days and 6 weeks, although he mentioned that at hartleys age it could more likely be closer to 6 weeks...  :

Overall I'm delighted with the win, however the manor of the victory, and certain aspects of the team instructions etc are still very poor.

Raith looked good, they really should have been out of sight long before we equalised, even in the dying minutes they had a couple of decent chances. They worked hard, fought hard, kept it simple, and Tade was very dangerous down the right all night.

Young and Mackie missed absolute sitters, both missing the target from inside the box with only the keeper to beat. However Young did create the winning goal, and Mackie put in a decent shift when he came on. As edinburghdon said we looked more dangerous with Mackie through the middle and Maguire out on the right. Hartley's injury occurred while chasing back after Young gave the ball away.

Disagree with the "Vernon seems t be the type of player that offers very little except goals" comment, I thought he held the ball up well and worked hard all night. Like Lee Miller but with a much better work ethic, he looks like a very decent signing to me.

Most important thing is we're through, but there's plenty to work on.

Trying to take the positives from the game but not sure there are a whole lot. Was sitting right behind the goal in the RDL for the second half and have no idea how raith didnt score at least another 3. Woeful defending from Ifill and Diamond, Shocking mistake from Langfield for the goal, prefered howard in the sticks. Mackie showed more and done more in 45 minutes than Mcguire has for the season, yet another Selfish, average performance from him.

We are missing Pawlett and Aluko big time. Fyvie also looking like a big miss for us. For the life of me cant figure out why we didnt bring in Basey before the window closed.

At least we got through i guess, sneak a win against the huns and hopefully get pawlett and aluko back after the break.

From what i hear last night Paton has played his last game for club.

If that's true about Paton, McGhee needs his arse kicked for not managing AFC to the best of his ability, and Willie needs the same for allowing it to happen.

Story I heard was that Paton and McGhee don't get on anyway but this was heightened when Paton (rightly, in my opinion) refused to go out on loan.  Makes me angry, Paton is a good player with more to come and rarely hid last season which is something that can not be said of his peers. 

Same thing happened with the previous two regimes, seems rather immature that you put your own feelings ahead of professional duties.

If true, Paton is a fud. I'm disappointed by his apparent lack of progress after a reasonably promising start but he doesn't seem to get on with Mcghee for some reason.

This is how the game panned out on the BBC:

ABERDEEN - RAITH ROVERS

Possession

Aberdeen 50%Raith Rovers 50%

Attempts on target

Aberdeen 0Raith Rovers 0

Attempts off target

Aberdeen 0Raith Rovers 0

Corners

Aberdeen 0Raith Rovers 0

Fouls

Aberdeen 0Raith Rovers

Sounds like a fun game.

The whole situation with Paton is very disappointing.  He looks like a talented, fairly intelligent player and I really expected to see him kicking on this season yet it looks like he's very much out of favour with McGhee, for whatever reason.

But if he did refuse to go to Dundee & Morton on loan, then he needs to show a positive reaction and force his way back into the team.  Has a golden opportunity with Aluko out for months and it could really be the making of him if he can break in.  He's definitely more comfortable out wide than Maguire or Mackie, even though my personal opinion is that he'd make a very good second striker in a Teddy Sheringham style off Vernon, Velicka, or whoever has the jersey at any given time.

The whole situation with Paton is very disappointing.  He looks like a talented, fairly intelligent player and I really expected to see him kicking on this season yet it looks like he's very much out of favour with McGhee, for whatever reason.

But if he did refuse to go to Dundee & Morton on loan, then he needs to show a positive reaction and force his way back into the team.  Has a golden opportunity with Aluko out for months and it could really be the making of him if he can break in.  He's definitely more comfortable out wide than Maguire or Mackie, even though my personal opinion is that he'd make a very good second striker in a Teddy Sheringham style off Vernon, Velicka, or whoever has the jersey at any given time.

Agree with all that but would add Paton doesn't have enough pace out wide.