Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Golf an that

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Watson hole in one at 6 today, -3 today and -1 for the tournament. Some people are naturally popular. Seve and Tom probably the best examples where they caught the public's imagination not just for their supreme ability but also for their natures.

Contrast this with Tiger Woods and Colon Montgomerie. It doesn't matter how good they are/were, nae cunt likes them. Their persona's are not ones one can warm to. They're a pair o cunts, basically and in my opinion, both utterly fucked up by weirdo parents. Don't know anything about Monty's mum and dad but I reckon it's a safe bet that they're shit people otherwise they wouldn't have bred such a cantankerously disgusting fat pig.

Kowalski will be fucking raging...

Lee Westwood is another I can't warm to. A brilliant golfer for sure but too sour and negative, particularly towards reporters whenever he gets interviewed puts me right off him. He looks like he's going to be missing this cut unless he can pull out some birdies in his last five holes but why would a multi-millionaire with seemingly everything going for him be such an arse when he's being called upon to do what people in his position have to do by talking to people. It must be a total of 5 or 10 minutes a day x 4 days x however many weeks he's playing so it's a total time investment of what, 30 hours a year?

He can barely disguise the distaste that he has for being interviewed which suggests to me that he's not a nice person overall. In fact, I think he's an arse and I think the golfing gods will end up rewarding his career with a zero majors haul, which will haunt him for the rest of his days and turn him into a bitter old man. He and Monty can quaff brandies in the Gleneagles Hotel in fifteen years time and tell each other how good they really were whilst the guys who are five, six and seven years old today start bursting on the scene, completely oblivious to the golf that these two fat old men produced in the decades before and after the millennium.

I love the fact that Monty never won a major and as time goes on, it looks like Lee can join him in this unwanted record. I love the fact Rory did win the last major and Westwood's barely contained lack of enthusiasm for it was a further illustration of the utter gracelessness of the man. It's burning him up bad and it's eating him up from the inside. English fud.

Ach let's go the whole hog and get the negative golfers slaughtered first, before turning attention to the positive ones. I'm a big fan of Simon Dyson, the straight-talking Yorkshireman who's just started with 3 birdies to lead the open and the amateur Tom Lewis is a great looking young kid. Cigar-man Jimenez, dog-eater YE Yang and bible-thumping Langer are other favourites of mine but there's one golfer who needs taking down a peg or three.

Graeme McDowell last year was exceptional, winning at Pebble Beach, then Valderrama and ultimately taking out Woods with an amazing putt at the 72nd before repeating his birdie at the first extra hole. But I'm sorry, I know you went to the states for college Graeme, but your accent SINCE you won a major has totally changed. For sure. Is this a deliberately engineered prawcess or is this a subconscious thing going on? Whatever the reason, you sound like a contrived fud these days. I reckon you should get a woman or just come out of the closet at least to say that you have a zero sex drive if you're not actually gay.

These points are funny because they're true.

Not quite. Merely opinion. Not provable by scientific data.

But it becomes fun when some point or other gets disputed by a fan of the golfer character assassinee, often through blindness to his charms or otherwise.

On the yank crop, David Love III and Phil Mickelson attract my ire. I remember when the latter was top amateur at the Masters and his fawning sycophancy to Jim Nonce in the Buttlick cabin was revoltingly establishment. His wife gets a littler bit of cancer and so everybody feels sorry for him and loves him even more but surely it's the wife that deserves any sympathy, not him. He has/had a severe gambling problem. His forced crowd-acknowledgement tip of the caps and subdued humility is a sham. He's not the perfect nice guy he makes himself out to be. He's the white picket fence exterior to the demons behind closed doors, to use a David Lynchism. I'm not saying he's raping his daughters here a la twin peaks but anyone trying this hard to portray such establishment niceism is a fucking twat by nature and I for one, wouldn't want to see what's going on in his insides.

Bubba Watson is an interesting one. Greeting like a bairn when he won last year and greeting like a bairn in France two weeks ago, he's obviously nae the full shilling. That awful music vid he made with Fowler, Mahan etc. was cringeworthy but I find him impossible to detest. I love his golf shot making imagination and he breathes new air into the game. What you see with Blubber is what you get. Nae the brightest but nae a bad bone in his body - other than the aforesaid stupidity which manifested itself uglily in Paris, blaming the crowd and "security" for his bad game that week.

Bubba Watson is an interesting one. Greeting like a bairn when he won last year and greeting like a bairn in France two weeks ago, he's obviously nae the full shilling. That awful music vid he made with Fowler, Mahan etc. was cringeworthy but I find him impossible to detest. I love his golf shot making imagination and he breathes new air into the game. What you see with Blubber is what you get. Nae the brightest but nae a bad bone in his body - other than the aforesaid stupidity which manifested itself uglily in Paris, blaming the crowd and "security" for his bad game that week.

Far from true, or so I'm led to believe.  It is apparently an unwritten law at CBS that they do not show Watson unless they really have to.  He's a monumental cunt to all and sundry supposedly.  Refuses to even say hello to people, tells press and fans to "fuck off" if they ask for a minute of his time and is very unpopular with his peers. 

Okay I'll bite.

Biggest crowd I saw at the Scottish Open last week was following the Monty match.  He's very popular with anyone that isn't an arsehole.

Kow, your admiration and defence of the guy is all very commendable but you can not for a second say that Monty doesn't have big, big problems.  Should we all switch off from these just because he happens to be from the same bit of land as us?  Same with Andy Murray.

Far from true, or so I'm led to believe.  It is apparently an unwritten law at CBS that they do not show Watson unless they really have to.  He's a monumental cunt to all and sundry supposedly.  Refuses to even say hello to people, tells press and fans to "fuck off" if they ask for a minute of his time and is very unpopular with his peers. 

I didn't know this and it surprises me, assuming it's true. Then again, with a thick yank, I shouldn't be surprised.

Kow, your admiration and defence of the guy is all very commendable but you can not for a second say that Monty doesn't have big, big problems.  Should we all switch off from these just because he happens to be from the same bit of land as us?  Same with Andy Murray.

I was waiting for a specific defence but you've stolen some of my thunder. The Americans don't like him at all. He's very unpopular for obvious reasons all over the world and there is only a very tiny minority of Scotlanders that "like" him. What is there to like?

I didn't know this and it surprises me, assuming it's true. Then again, with a thick yank, I shouldn't be surprised.

I was waiting for a specific defence but you've stolen some of my thunder. The Americans don't like him at all. He's very unpopular for obvious reasons all over the world and there is only a very tiny minority of Scotlanders that "like" him. What is there to like?

Monty has been his own worst enemy throughout his career. has a great talent, what a lovely tempo to his swing and when he was at his best he was superb.

He growled at the gallery at the Scottish last week and Peter Alliss said something along the lines of "someone must just have started a tractor somewhere south of Paisley there..." which says it all.

his 8 in a row Euro Tour Order of Merits are a fantastic achievement but i think that says something in itself... he was in his comfort zone and I think had he gone to the US Tour more there is a big chance he'd have improved his game to the point that the elusive major was no longer elusive...

I like BBC coverage normally but their camera angles at times have been hellish. Umpteen times the hole has been out of sight for putts.

Aye the coverage hasnt been to their usual standards, although I'm sure the conditions hasnt helped with that.

Tom Watson has been a joy to watch today, played very well indeed and seems to have coped with the conditions better than most.  Weather seems to be improving ever so slightly now, more birdies seem to be being made.

Aye the coverage hasnt been to their usual standards, although I'm sure the conditions hasnt helped with that.

Tom Watson has been a joy to watch today, played very well indeed and seems to have coped with the conditions better than most.  Weather seems to be improving ever so slightly now, more birdies seem to be being made.

Even the first two rounds it was rotten!

Watson was tremendous to watch. Weather certainly improving, hopefully Clarke, Jiminez, Garcia and Bjorn get in about it.

Their coverage has been shite. You'd have thought there were only about 15 players playing.

The one thing I always thought the BBC did well was to show a very good cross section of the field but they've concentrated so heavily on McIlroy, Donald and Westwood that I feel as though i've missed out on a huge amount of it, something i don't usually feel about their coverage.

Their coverage has been shite. You'd have thought there were only about 15 players playing.

The one thing I always thought the BBC did well was to show a very good cross section of the field but they've concentrated so heavily on McIlroy, Donald and Westwood that I feel as though i've missed out on a huge amount of it, something i don't usually feel about their coverage.

Are you still watching the 2nd round?  ;)