Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Golf an that

Seems a bit weird that the BBC only have the Saturday/Sunday live coverage now.

Sky's coverage was quite good last night, with Monty doing some commentating.

Anyone going up to the Scottish Open?  We're going up on the Friday!  :thumbsup:

Thought Monty was good at the old commentating lark, good hearing it from a player's perspective and why certain shots are played the way they are.

The jingle they've got when they go to the adverts was seriously doing my nut in last night.

Article here about the BEEB and the Masters:

There will be one battle being fought on the fairways at Augusta this week but another, just as fiercely competitive, being fought off it.

In a move some regard as controversial and others view as key for the future, the BBC will go head-to-head with Sky, which will screen live Masters coverage for the first time, as the tournament reaches its key phases on Saturday and Sunday.

At one stage last summer, Sky walked away from discussions relating to Masters rights due to their unwillingness to share the event with the corporation.

Sky's return to and subsequent completion of negotiations delighted Billy Payne who as chairman of Augusta National has pioneered fresh media and technological advancement at the Masters.

Against that backdrop, Sky's ability to replicate the 3D coverage that proved such a success at the Ryder Cup is crucial. The availability of Sky Mobile TV and Sky Player could be added bonuses.

"If ever there is a venue made for 3D and HD, it is Augusta National," said a spokesperson for Sky Sports. "What the viewer will see for the first time is, for example, how steep the course is on the back nine and how small some of the greens are."

Sky will have between 45 and 50 crew members on the ground in Georgia. Key talent is provided by the successful Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie, who will offer a mixture of studio analysis and commentary.

Ewen Murray, Sky Sports' voice of golf, will again be in situ, as will Butch Harmon. A further feather in Sky's cap is Harmon's coaching links with the defending Masters champion Phil Mickelson. He was also Tiger Woods' coach for 11 years.

"It's difficult to explain to viewers just how hilly Augusta is and that it's not just the greens that defend the course," said Murray. "It's rare to get a totally flat lie and that tests the skills and talents of those playing. For those who will watch in 3D, they will be able to read the putts for themselves and appreciate more the quality the players have in shaping the ball off uneven lies and trying to find the correct portion of the greens, which is so important if they are to record under-par scores."

Woods is the most high-profile figure to endorse the 3D experience on Sky Sports. He even claims to have "watched some of the soccer" in that format during spare time in the United States locker room during the Celtic Manor Ryder Cup.

Sky's commercial commitment to golf was also key, although offset by the routinely small audience that watches it live on the station. By keeping the BBC in the Masters set-up, albeit in its diminished form, the Augusta management has ensured the broadest audience possible in the UK.

Where this all leaves the BBC in the longer-term is another matter. The non-appearance of its director general, Mark Thompson, at Augusta last year, when contracts were up for negotiation, did not help.

The corporation has denied suggestions that the watering-down of its Masters output is the first step towards complete withdrawal. Multi-platform coverage this year will appear on BBC Two, the BBC HD Channel, the BBC Red Button, online and Radio 5 Live.

The BBC's commitment to golf, though, has clearly receded in recent years and the spectre of up to £150m – or 20% – worth of cuts due to be made cannot be ignored when considering a sport that has never been cheap to cover. The BBC has had an association with the Masters stretching back to 1967.

"We are delighted that our long-standing partnership with Augusta has continued – we secured an agreement that represents the best value for licence payers, that still ensures that the climax of this event remains available to the widest possible audience," said the BBC.

"We are fully committed to golf and have a very strong portfolio. On television we broadcast live coverage from The Masters, The Open, The Women's Open, The PGA Championship, The Scottish Open and The Walker Cup. In addition we broadcast TV highlights from The Ryder Cup.

"Radio has commentary from all four major championships, with news and reports from around 20 tournaments worldwide, and our BBC website features golf year round."

Although nothing has been formalised, Sky are already thought to be planning for the Masters of 2012. Only unlikely and unforeseen disaster this week would stem a seemingly inevitable tide.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got money on Choi too but Woods looks like he's in fine form on the final day.

I put money on McIlroy Donald and Westwood at the start of the week, then put some cash on woods after his second round.  Was shite odds on woods but covers the rest of the bets should he win it.  Looking ominously good right now...

Still hope McIlroy picks up his game and wins, he's looking shaky just now though!

75/1  :o

Yeah but how much did you put on Goosen?  ;)

yip, i had him on when he won his two majors as well. Superb player.

A fair few quid as always!! was looking amazing after 9 holes... fuck knows what happened to him.  He's finished in the top 3 4 times at Augusta, I'm amazed he collapsed the way he did this week. Always the US Open in June though...  ;)

McIlroy has bottled it severely, I don't mean to be overly dramatic but this could have a severe adverse effect on his whole career.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that is a devastating collapse.

It's a real catastrophic collapse for him, it could well effect him for the rest of the career.

It's a real catastrophic collapse for him, it could well effect him for the rest of the career.

I think Monty  never fully recovered from losing to Ernie in the PGA (?) play off in the early 90's, it stayed with him his whole career, would be a terrible shame if the same happened to McIlroy.

McIlroy has bottled it severely, I don't mean to be overly dramatic but this could have a severe adverse effect on his whole career.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that is a devastating collapse.

Was just thinking that myself, it'll take a hell of a lot for him to forget about this.

Poor guy

Absolutely, I'm gutted for him. Whenever he hits the top of the leaderboard on any major in the future (which he undoubtedly has the ability to do) I imagine this round will be haunting him.

This is primed for a hell of a finish.  So many players in with a shout.  Suddenly Luke Donald in with a good chance!

Had totally forgotten about Donald, barely seen anything of him in the chaos of the last hour or so.

Still in with a great shout and with his short game, along with some of the other leaders in a bit of trouble he could still win it

(and win me money too...)