Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Golf an that

Shaping up to be a great Masters already. I took pleasure from Stenson's 8 at 18 and I loved Phil's 7 at 10. On a more positive and less sick note, Westwood is a Long game genius and Lawrie was the best value bet of the century at 250's. On an acutely observant angle, the missed putts analysis of Rors exhibits a significantly pronounced miss left frequency... again. On an irrelevance level, Vijay is a cunt and he probably smokes beef.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met Vijay.  He was a cunt, rolling his eyes when I asked for an autograph for my kids, despite the fact I clearly wasn't just an average punter. (And by that I mean we were in the same room because he was relying on a service the company I work for were providing.)

With hindsight I wish I'd told him to shove it up his arse. 

I'm not in the predictions-for-golf business as it's way too hard to pick the winner when there are so many horses.

For a bit of fun though, I wish to place on record some golfers who I believe will not win, and why.

Woods. Hitting it sideways off the tee, well big left-ways yesterday. His new putting stance, whilst wider and looking better, still has too much weight on the right, not hunting the hole and looks ugly.

McIlroy. He'll never win round here until he addresses his continuing weakness.

Westwood. Nobody ever long-games his way to victory at Augusta. This place is the ultimate examination of Short game and putting. Whilst tee-to-green, he was clearly the best in round 1, it's a tall ask to keep this up. His duffed heavy chip at 15 (off a simple perfect up-slope lie), his missed 2 footer and three other putts that all looked certain to drop but somehow died across the face or burned the edge - these are all signs that his scoring functions are significantly weaker that the rest of his overall package. As just over 50% of his total score year-on-year is from less than 15 yards from the hole, he would need to demonstrate a far superior ability around the hole than he ever has before. Also, puts too much pressure on himself and his burning ambition has been replaced by desperation. May also have the Monty factor.

Stenson. 6 under through 10 was awesome but he's been in the wilderness too long.

Peter Hanson. Like Henrik, He's scandinavian. They don't win majors.

Bubba. Putting not strong enough and will be prone to a wild one.

Patrick Cantlay. The biggest arsehole in golf.

Sergio. Putting stronger these days but not strong enough round here.

Kaymer. Not playing consistently enough and needs some more depth in his tank before winning again.

Mahan. Putting again, plus his lack of colour-coordination yesterday. He must've dressed in the dark.

Darren Clarke. Lightning won't strike twice.

Mickelson. Too bewildered-looking.

Adam Scott. Long putter.

Sandy Lyle. 86 puts him 19 shots off the lead. Don't think he can catch this up.

Got a couple of quid on Oosthuizen. Also had a couple of quid on Jason Day before it came out he's carrying an injury  ::) and other smaller bets on Cabrera and Haas.

Yourself?

Jason Day has officially pulled out, wish I'd known he was struggling with injury too, he was one of my e/w bets.  >:(

Before the inevitable small minds jump in if Lefty or Hanson win, let me elaborate.

The world made Tiger and Rors heavy favourites and I didn't agree. I called that the best golfer in the modern era wouldn't win after day one and I also ruled out the two best and most consistent ball-strikers (Lee and Rory) for the exact same reason, that their putting wasn't good enough to pass the sternest examination in world golf, the greens at Augusta. The two of them IMPLODED today and were shockingly bad, displaying a level of putting ineptitude that we very rarely see on Tour.

I think Oosthuizen has a great chance and right up until that approach at 18, was swinging beautifully all day.

Maybe I went a bit far writing off everybody but I still would be surprised if Hanson won, although he is clearly the best Scandy chance ever. Phil Mick will be rightly favourite, an incredible fightback after a shite first Rd and an amazing 30 back right now.

Today spread the field. It also killed the three top favourites, as I predicted, for the precise reasons I predicted.

The thing is rocket, it's easy to say who won't win a tournie because only one man can win out of nigh on 100 (or more). your reasoning is sound, largely, so why not stick your neck out on a winner beforehand? it's just a bit of fun afterall.

Good point but it gets my goat re McIlroy in that they were all making him pre-tournament favourite, yet the commentators failed to appreciate where the problem was last year on the Sunday and they still haven't picked up on his continuing missed putt left frequency. Everyone talks about the 10th but he missed three times from 7 feet and under in the first 8 holes last time. By the time he 3 putted 11 and 4 putted 12 (from nowhere), he was gone in the mind. It was his three short misses that planted the destructive fear. He's a shocking putter and until he gets it sorted, will never win round Augusta. Everyone can have a day out (Quail Hollow, Rd 1 in Dubai) but I think he can be a multiple major winner if he just addresses his obvious weakness. He's the best ball-striker I've seen since Norman was at his heights.

The other thing that kills me is Monty going on about Lee "deserving" a major. Last I looked, golf was about 72 holes and the score at the end. No-one "deserves" to win other than the man who shoots the lowest score. Westwood bottled Turnberry and was outgunned by the brilliance of Mickelson. He's been close but no cigar. Augusta is the least likely major for him to win because, as both he and McIlroy proved yesterday, he's a shocking putter too. We've never seen such incompetence on the greens as we saw from both of them yesterday.

I think Mickelson is rightly favourite now but I'm going for your pick, Oothuizen. He was swinging so impressively yesterday and surely the lefty can't keep up this ridiculously high standard. Hanson is a superb golfer but he's not been in this position before in a major and has bottled it in European Tour events when in contention. He hasn't won since 2010 either.

Right bb, bit of fun, here's my Rd 4 predictions...

276 - Oost 67

278 - Lefty 70

279 - Hanson 72

280 - Bubba 70

280 - Kuchar 69

280 - Westwood 68

Think Lawrie will shoot 72 again, Harrington 69, Stenson 96 and Mahan 71.

What's yours?

I hope you're right, but I have a feeling for this:

-13 Mickelson

-10 Oosthuizen

-9  Hanson

-8  Bubba

Good point but it gets my goat re McIlroy in that they were all making him pre-tournament favourite, yet the commentators failed to appreciate where the problem was last year on the Sunday and they still haven't picked up on his continuing missed putt left frequency. Everyone talks about the 10th but he missed three times from 7 feet and under in the first 8 holes last time. By the time he 3 putted 11 and 4 putted 12 (from nowhere), he was gone in the mind. It was his three short misses that planted the destructive fear. He's a shocking putter and until he gets it sorted, will never win round Augusta. Everyone can have a day out (Quail Hollow, Rd 1 in Dubai) but I think he can be a multiple major winner if he just addresses his obvious weakness. He's the best ball-striker I've seen since Norman was at his heights.

The other thing that kills me is Monty going on about Lee "deserving" a major. Last I looked, golf was about 72 holes and the score at the end. No-one "deserves" to win other than the man who shoots the lowest score. Westwood bottled Turnberry and was outgunned by the brilliance of Mickelson. He's been close but no cigar. Augusta is the least likely major for him to win because, as both he and McIlroy proved yesterday, he's a shocking putter too. We've never seen such incompetence on the greens as we saw from both of them yesterday.

I think Mickelson is rightly favourite now but I'm going for your pick, Oothuizen. He was swinging so impressively yesterday and surely the lefty can't keep up this ridiculously high standard. Hanson is a superb golfer but he's not been in this position before in a major and has bottled it in European Tour events when in contention. He hasn't won since 2010 either.

Good post.

• 1 month later...

Watching US TV golf coverage and a few thoughts.

Not consistent, too many ad breaks and too much time spent on Tiger, Lefty, Ricky, Bubba and anyone yankish who's wihtin 10 shots!

However, Feherty is a class act on commentary, as is, dare I say golf's biggest cunt-figure, Faldo. He really is good. Seriously!