Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Golf an that

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone play Old Meldrum? Playing up there at the end of August.

Oldmeldrum? or Meldrum House?

Not played Old Meldrum but I've been told its nowhere near as good as Meldrum house, however thats just the opinions i've heard.

Meldrum house was fantastic when i worked/played there!

Colin Montgomerie has named Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke as one of three vice-captains for the European Ryder Cup team to face the United States.

Irishman Paul McGinley and Denmark's Thomas Bjorn will join Clarke as vice-captains at Celtic Manor.

European captain Montgomerie announced his backroom team on Tuesday for the event in Wales from 1-3 October.

US captain Corey Pavin has selected four vice-captains in Tom Lehman, Jeff Sluman, Davis Love and Paul Goydos.

Jose Maria Olazabal has not been named as a member of Montgomerie's staff, with the Spaniard struggling with rheumatism.

Montgomerie said his new team would give Europe the best possible opportunity to reclaim the Ryder Cup after defeat by the US in Valhalla in 2008.

"The four of us up here have huge respect from the players that will be in the team and that is vital," said Montgomerie.

606: DEBATE

Who would be in your Ryder Cup team?

Robbo_wont_be_champ_again

"This is the strongest non-playing team we have ever assembled on and off the field in Europe. It is a fabulous time for golf in Europe."

While McGinley and Bjorn were expected to be named vice-captains, Clarke could still force himself into the team in a playing role after finishing second at the Scottish Open.

When asked whether that would cause a problem, four-times Ryder Cup winner Clarke replied: "Monty and I spoke at length about that and he has told me he wants me there one way or another.

"If I do well enough in the coming weeks to give him an extra headache - not that he hasn't got one already - then we will cross that bridge then.

"But, as it stands, I'm not an automatic pick and I'm delighted to be part of Monty's backroom staff."

The 41-year-old Ulsterman inspired Europe to their third consecutive Ryder Cup triumph in 2006, winning three points from three matches at the K Club only weeks after the death of his wife, Heather.

Montgomerie and his three vice-captains played together in Europe's Ryder Cup win at the Belfry in 2002 and that winning formula is something McGinley hopes they can bring to the team.

"We have all been fortunate to be involved in winning teams," said McGinley who has played in three Ryder Cups.

"It is important we take those principals that have worked in the past and go forward with them."

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see another European winning but how gutted must Johnston feel after grounding his club?  And as for Watson's crazy shot choice for his 2nd at 18 in the playoff!!

Having said that McIlroy may be the most gutted given the chances he missed for birdies on the back nine.  He'll have his day soon however and certainly looks more likely that the English trio of Casey, Donald and Poulter to win a Major in the next few years.

Good to see another European winning but how gutted must Johnston feel after grounding his club?  And as for Watson's crazy shot choice for his 2nd at 18 in the playoff!!

Having said that McIlroy may be the most gutted given the chances he missed for birdies on the back nine.  He'll have his day soon however and certainly looks more likely that the English trio of Casey, Donald and Poulter to win a Major in the next few years.

Fell asleep and missed the play off!  :hammer: Glad Kaymer won though, really like his style and seems very grounded.

Johnson's an idiot... the notice regarding sand on the course to be treated as a normal bunker was on the locker room wall so he has no excuse. 

Agree with you about the English guys.  I like Casey, he's a cracking player and the most likely out of them to succeed in majors over a long period of time in my opinion. Poulter has talent, but not the temperament and I've also never seen any pro shank the ball more than he does. And Donald... he's lilly livered. seems a helluva nice chap and all that, but he doesn't have the required backbone and I am somewhat dismayed he's in the top ten in the WR.

EDIT: meant to say, i was in Paddy power at lunch and they're paying out on Dustin Johnson. Can't imagine they'll be losing too much on that one and gets them good publicity i suppose

Used to play it quite a lot. Not the most challenging of courses but a few interesting par 3's where you can't see the green from the tee.

Cheers.  :thumbsup:

In relation to the above, I think Westwood will get a major eventually and is a better bet than the 3 Englanders mentioned.

McIlroy must be a cert but I thought that about Garcia too.

I think Johnson knew fine he'd fucked up. I called the grounding when he addressed the ball.

The pro's are generally impeccable but only he knows.

As for Kaymer, 2 awesome putts at 17 and 18. Fully deserved.

I'm really looking forward to the Ryder Cup now, as long as they play Celtic Manor to the design, risk\reward then it should be great with the Yank big hitters. Monty may be tempted to take that out of the set up. Although the Europeans have big hitters as well.

If I were Monty I'd go for Harrington, Stenson and Karlsson. Possibly Rhys Davies or Queros (sp?) For their foursomes skills but I like the Swedes. They smile whilst they kill.

Clean forgot about Westwood but he does look a better bet than his fellow countryman.

I see none of our "stars" are coming back to Europe to try and qualify for the Ryder Cup automatically prefering to play in the FedEx play-offs.

Current standings:

WORLD POINTS

1 LEE WESTWOOD 422.0

2 RORY McILROY 316.9

3 MARTIN KAYMER 285.4

4 GRAEME McDOWELL 249.3

5 Luke Donald 231.1

6 Edoardo Molinari 218.4

7 Ian Poulter 211.2

8 Padraig Harrington 204.9

9 Justin Rose 195.7

10 Francesco Molinari 172.5

EUROPEAN POINTS

1 Lee Westwood 3,446,137

2 Martin Kaymer 2,638,282

3 Rory McIlroy 2,368,205

4 Graeme McDowell 2,307,041

5 IAN POULTER 2,238,874

6 ROSS FISHER 1,708,614

7 FRANCESCO MOLINARI 1,612,747

8 MIGUEL ANGEL JIMENEZ 1,499,775

9 PAUL CASEY 1,487,776

10 Padraig Harrington 1,486,529

Capitals denote players in qualifying positions. Top four on world list qualify, plus top five on European list not already qualified. Montgomerie has three wildcard picks in addition.

I think Johnson knew fine he'd fucked up. I called the grounding when he addressed the ball.

The pro's are generally impeccable but only he knows.

As for Kaymer, 2 awesome putts at 17 and 18. Fully deserved.

I'm really looking forward to the Ryder Cup now, as long as they play Celtic Manor to the design, risk\reward then it should be great with the Yank big hitters. Monty may be tempted to take that out of the set up. Although the Europeans have big hitters as well.

If I were Monty I'd go for Harrington, Stenson and Karlsson. Possibly Rhys Davies or Queros (sp?) For their foursomes skills but I like the Swedes. They smile whilst they kill.

I think he's more or less guaranteed Harrington a spot which is fair enough, he's played pretty well in the last year (just not in the majors).  I'm glad Jiminez is likely to be there, good for team spirit and a very solid, unshakeable player.

Would like to see Edoardo Molinari in there, he's had a very good season and as his bro is in there that could be a pairing from the off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Montgomerie frets over Ryder team

Venue: Gleneagles, Scottish Highlands Dates: Thursday 26 August - Sunday 29 August Coverage: Regular updates on

comprehensive reports on the BBC Sport website & mobiles; all four days

European Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie says selecting his team is a "more or less impossible" task given the quality of players available.

The top nine in the points table after the Johnnie Walker Championship on Sunday will qualify for the October tie against the United States.

Montgomerie will then pick three wildcards to complete the line-up.

"I have a preferred three in my head, but I'm sure something will happen that will change that," said Montgomerie.

The 47-year-old Scotsman, who is considered one of the greatest Ryder Cup players of all time, added: "This has been the hardest team to make of any Ryder Cup team I have been involved with.

"I wish I could take 20, because 20 deserve their spots this year.

"They have played great, the standard on tour has been the best it's ever been.

Benemike

"I cannot please everybody on Sunday. I am going to have to leave out players that feel they can help the European Tour cause."

Choosing his wildcards is complicated by the decisions of Padraig Harrington, Luke Donald, Paul Casey and Justin Rose - who have all played key roles in past Ryder Cups - in electing to miss the Johnnie Walker Championship to play the lucrative

in the US.

Ireland's triple major winner Harrington, England's world number nine Casey, and his 10th and 22nd-ranked compatriots Donald and Rose are all outside the top nine in

But Montgomerie insists he is not fazed by the quartet's decision to miss the last qualifying event.

"I will be selecting the best 12 players," Montgomerie said at Gleneagles.

"My remit at the start of this campaign - and it's never changed - was to assemble the best 12 players.

"The situation of players not attending here has changed in my opinion. I'm glad that the players (in America) that might well get selected are playing competitive golf.

"I think the American team's performance at Valhalla was boosted by the fact that they were playing competitive golf right up to the Ryder Cup.

"If it boosts their performance it can boost our own."

From the rankings, which are led by England's Lee Westwood, only Peter Hanson, Miquel Angel Jimenez and sixth-placed Ross Fisher have entered the Johnnie Walker event.

But England duo Ross McGowan and Simon Dyson, and Spain's Alvaro Quiros could also force their way into the top nine at Gleneagles.

Hanson, who moved to eighth in the points table and pushed out Casey after

has criticised the Johnnie Walker absentees and questioned how much some players want to be part of the Ryder Cup.

"If you really want to make the team - and, of course, if you are that close - then you should be here and playing," said the Swede.

Italy's Scottish Open champion Edoardo Molinari, who will play at Gleneagles from Thursday to Sunday, is another player hopeful of being given one of Montgomerie's three wildcards.

"If you base the decision on results rather than reputations then I think I deserve a wild card more than the others," he said. "But the Ryder Cup is not only about results."

The United States won the last Ryder Cup in 2008 after Europe had emerged victorious from the previous three.

This year's edition takes place at Celtic Manor in Wales from 1-3 October.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/golf/8942740.stm

• 2 months later...

Well done to Lee Westwood for becoming World Number One!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9143219.stm

Also, in Martin Laird, have we (as in Scotland) finally found a decent golfer?  It's been a while since a Scotsman was regularly challenging in tournaments, and Laird seems to be doing very well on the PGA tour - and yes I know he is based in the USA.

• 2 months later...