Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Since the draw is tomorrow would it be worthwhile (*) Dave Cormack suggesting to the SFA that whoever is drawn out of the "hat" first and third are designated the "home" teams and get to choose the end they'd like their supporters to be allocated to and that the draw for the final (ie winners of match 1 v. winners of match 2) is made in a similar manner at the same time.  

*obviously I know the answer.

Edited by dons8321
  • Like 1

We’d be underdog against any of the three semifinalists, nothing to lose. If anything Celtic are underachieving this season and not performing to their fullest. We’re also due a result against them in a cup. 2-1 us with scales og the difference between the teams. Cup semi win and the full Bayern coaching staff coming in, things are looking up. Morris start this weekend?

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

We’d be underdog against any of the three semifinalists, nothing to lose.

Can I just say, although we avoided them (like we have for the past 28 years), we would have absolutely everything to lose against Hearts.

Everything.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

If anything Celtic are underachieving this season and not performing to their fullest. .

Cup semi win and the full Bayern coaching staff coming in, things are looking up. 

Bayern are underachieving this season and not performing to their fullest.

Yes I've just began an argument with you for no reason really.

Useless information that will do nothing for you: Since our last Hampden meeting in 1996, it is now eight times in a row that Aberdeen & Hearts have been in a semi-final draw together and have avoided each other.

In that time we've faced Celtic in (I think) four semi-finals and four finals (8).

Rangers two semi-finals and two finals (4).

Hibs in four semi-finals.

Dundee United in four semi-finals.

In fact in the entire history of Aberdeen & Hearts, two clubs who make it to semis and finals more than most, we've only played each other in two semis and one final. One of those semis was at Easter Road so it's just two Hampden meetings.

Like I said, useless information, but mildly interesting for fitba geeks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Panda said:

Useless information that will do nothing for you: Since our last Hampden meeting in 1996, it is now eight times in a row that Aberdeen & Hearts have been in a semi-final draw together and have avoided each other.

In that time we've faced Celtic in (I think) four semi-finals and four finals (8).

Rangers two semi-finals and two finals (4).

Hibs in four semi-finals.

Dundee United in four semi-finals.

In fact in the entire history of Aberdeen & Hearts, two clubs who make it to semis and finals more than most, we've only played each other in two semis and one final. One of those semis was at Easter Road so it's just two Hampden meetings.

Like I said, useless information, but mildly interesting for fitba geeks.

The real question there is how often have the other two teams in the draw been the scum? For most of Scottish football history, the hot ball would have been play to keep them apart.

Shinnie being suspended makes this one extremely difficult. Phillips was good against the Tims and Killie, but he's not good enough at football to be sitting in front of the defence. Polvara doesn't have the coverage but is basically our only option. Unless we go wild and include one of the defence in midfield. Or really wild and play Rubezic there on his first game back from injury, with an instruction to "take no prisoners".

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Shinnie being suspended makes this one extremely difficult. Phillips was good against the Tims and Killie, but he's not good enough at football to be sitting in front of the defence. Polvara doesn't have the coverage but is basically our only option. Unless we go wild and include one of the defence in midfield. Or really wild and play Rubezic there on his first game back from injury, with an instruction to "take no prisoners".

Is that not his only setting.

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

The real question there is how often have the other two teams in the draw been the scum? For most of Scottish football history, the hot ball would have been play to keep them apart.

There's not been an Old Firm Scottish Cup final since 2002.

Since then, this is the first time they have been kept apart in the semi-final. On the previous five occasions they have been drawn against each other.

31 minutes ago, Panda said:

There's not been an Old Firm Scottish Cup final since 2002.

Since then, this is the first time they have been kept apart in the semi-final. On the previous five occasions they have been drawn against each other.

I don't think that it still exists, but there was certainly a higher than chance avoidance of one another up until about the eighties. Since the new entity, it's actually been imperative that they play each other as soon as possible before sevco got pumped out. Now that normal service has largely been resumed, they'll need a new way to ensure they avoid each other. AI or some shite.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think that it still exists, but there was certainly a higher than chance avoidance of one another up until about the eighties. Since the new entity, it's actually been imperative that they play each other as soon as possible before sevco got pumped out. Now that normal service has largely been resumed, they'll need a new way to ensure they avoid each other. AI or some shite.

Why would they need to avoid each other?

18 minutes ago, Panda said:

Why would they need to avoid each other?

Scottish football needs them to avoid each other. Or certainly that's been the narrative since I can remember. There's nothing bigger than an "old firm" final. The greatest derby in the world.

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

The fuck you pointing the finger at me for 😲

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Scottish football needs them to avoid each other. Or certainly that's been the narrative since I can remember. There's nothing bigger than an "old firm" final. The greatest derby in the world.

That may have been the case back when you and Neil Warnock were kids, but not these days.

If anything, the two sides meeting in any other round of the competition is better for the broadcasters than it is them meeting in the final.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dons8321 said:

Tickets go on sale tomorrow...better hurry as they may all sell out in the first hour😆

Crafty of the club to hold off announcing the new manager until people have bought the tickets.

9 hours ago, Jute said:

A good few folk seem to be giving this a miss. Combination of opposition, kick off  time and current managerial situation seem to be the reasons. 

TBH Jute it is understandable given those factors you've listed.

I will be going, although not with any great optimism if the truth be told, more some kind of blind faith that I suffered from for decades.

By the law of averages we have to beat that mob sometime at Hampden, given the odds stacked against this, why not this time 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigAl said:

TBH Jute it is understandable given those factors you've listed.

I will be going, although not with any great optimism if the truth be told, more some kind of blind faith that I suffered from for decades.

By the law of averages we have to beat that mob sometime at Hampden, given the odds stacked against this, why not this time 🤔

Should point out I am going but mainly because I am a weak addict. 

2 hours ago, Jute said:

Should point out I am going but mainly because I am a weak addict. 

I am too, but I'm not going. Only the second time I've missed Hampden this century, the other was Morton in protest at the shite kick off time. VAR, ridiculous pricing, just make it not worth the hassle. I actually have a strong feeling we'll win this one, which I've not felt against the Tim in a long time, but I'm just getting a bit tired of it all. To be honest, the extra fixtures for Europe really killed things for me this year. Football saturation. It wasn't that enjoyable.