Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Cup Semi-final

4 hours ago, Panda said:

It wasn't penalty though, was outside the box. 

IMG_1085.jpeg.0bb05dcf1bfed3e3a77357c10488a18f.jpeg

Whilst I had no issue with the commentary at the time, I agreed with their assessment, they didn't have access to that image, or anything approaching that. That's a bit like the SFA providing the lines after the event for our goal against Livingston to "prove" that guessing was the correct thing to do. The lads in commentary might have been correct, but they couldn't say so with any degree of certainty. In fairness, from memory, I think McFadden actually said "I don't know" in his assessment. Good to finally see a photo to put the incident to bed though, even if it has clearly been doctored by the masonic Catholic HunTims in the VAR room.

On 19/04/2024 at 17:16, BigAl said:

In

Pre match drinks

Section A5

Celebrating

2-1 Miovski & McGrath

Meant to say previously, I had the conviction in my forecast to place a tenner on Miovski first goal scorer and 2-1 us @ 155/1.

At least the dream was alive for the first hour 😉

17 hours ago, Panda said:

Oh I know that, but the commentary claimed his hand had no where else to be which is fucking laughable. Premier sports were much more realistic about the event.

1 minute ago, manc_don said:

Oh I know that, but the commentary claimed his hand had no where else to be which is fucking laughable. Premier sports were much more realistic about the event.

Well done premier sports for their commentary on that incident.

That makes up for them literally only giving a fuck about two teams.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Panda said:

No disagreements there. I was genuinely pleasantly surprised by the commentary. 

42 minutes ago, Panda said:

Are we seriously suggesting that others, BBC included, do ?

All Scottish media feeds from the same trough unfortunately 

4 hours ago, BigAl said:

Are we seriously suggesting that others, BBC included, do ?

All Scottish media feeds from the same trough unfortunately 

There is content from all 12 Premiership teams and beyond on all the BBC output (tv, radio, online & social). You may even have enjoyed a special feature on the highland league title conclusion.

Is there more coverage to the old firm than others. Yes, that's because we don't have as many Livingston fans as we do Celtic fans. Likewise, Aberdeen get more coverage than most too. Our dedicated team pages - the stats are eye opening.

However, great coverage is given to every team within a limited budget. You can't say the BBC don't care about Aberdeen, go see the tranche of coverage Jimmy Thelin was getting on all the output. We had a commentary team, reporters & pundits out at every Aberdeen European away game plus live TV coverage of the qualifiers.

So no, you can't compare it to Viaplay/Premier.

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Is there more coverage to the old firm than others. Yes, that's because we don't have as many Livingston fans as we do Celtic fans.

A perpetuating cycle if that's how you design your system. The BBC's very reason is to not unfairly bias one or other because they have more money, more supporters etc etc. They are incredibly biased, sadly. Not as biased as the daily record (or whoever) isn't a barometer of anything and, if anything, the BBC should actively counteract it, as it would, say, gender bias. The problem of bias in our game is the leading cause of it going through its worst period in its history and the BBC perpetuates, refusing to even recognise, it. It's a real shame that our clubs don't do more to call it out but, as you say, clubs like our own benefit from getting slightly more coverage than St Mirren and so on. 

Edited by RicoS321

8 hours ago, Panda said:

There is content from all 12 Premiership teams and beyond on all the BBC output (tv, radio, online & social). You may even have enjoyed a special feature on the highland league title conclusion.

Is there more coverage to the old firm than others. Yes, that's because we don't have as many Livingston fans as we do Celtic fans. Likewise, Aberdeen get more coverage than most too. Our dedicated team pages - the stats are eye opening.

However, great coverage is given to every team within a limited budget. You can't say the BBC don't care about Aberdeen, go see the tranche of coverage Jimmy Thelin was getting on all the output. We had a commentary team, reporters & pundits out at every Aberdeen European away game plus live TV coverage of the qualifiers.

So no, you can't compare it to Viaplay/Premier.

A passionate and undoubtedly truthful defence Panda 👍

My objective with my comment was not to single out the BBC as being any worse than any other media source in Scotland, but they are equally guilty in my opinion.

Fully accept that the larger the fan base, the greater coverage a club is likely to get, however it is the manner of reporting that causes me issues.  In any sports bulletin, mention one arse cheek and they feel they have to then follow it up with a story about the other cheek for fear of one half of Glasgow shouting media bias.

Ultimately I think we all know what I mean 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

A perpetuating cycle if that's how you design your system. The BBC's very reason is to not unfairly bias one or other because they have more money, more supporters etc etc. They are incredibly biased, sadly. Not as biased as the daily record (or whoever) isn't a barometer of anything and, if anything, the BBC should actively counteract it, as it would, say, gender bias. The problem of bias in our game is the leading cause of it going through its worst period in its history and the BBC perpetuates, refusing to even recognise, it. It's a real shame that our clubs don't do more to call it out but, as you say, clubs like our own benefit from getting slightly more coverage than St Mirren and so on. 

I should have added that I also think that you are right to highlight all the good output they do, I think you're correct. I thought their coverage was good at the weekend and the championship coverage on a Friday excellent too. Their main radio show on a Saturday is appallingly bad since Richard Gordon left. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I should have added that I also think that you are right to highlight all the good output they do, I think you're correct. I thought their coverage was good at the weekend and the championship coverage on a Friday excellent too. Their main radio show on a Saturday is appallingly bad since Richard Gordon left. 

Completely agree with the last sentence.

Not a fan of Kenny McIntyre to be honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Their main radio show on a Saturday is appallingly bad since Richard Gordon left. 

Agreed, it’s really gone down hill. Doesn’t stop me from listening to it though, unfortunately. It’s designed to get people riled up. 

On 23/04/2024 at 02:46, Panda said:

I hadn’t seen that angle but that makes me feel a bit better that we weren’t denied a stonewall penalty - just an attacking free kick 19 yards from goal. Amazing the assistant didn’t see that. 

23 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

I hadn’t seen that angle but that makes me feel a bit better that we weren’t denied a stonewall penalty - just an attacking free kick 19 yards from goal. Amazing the assistant didn’t see that. 

The assistant would have been slightly behind Miovski, horizontal to him, I doubt he'd have had any real view of the ball hitting hand. Similar to the real time view on camera. Penalties for those types of incidents are a nonsense anyway, they're entirely distorted when viewed back and slowed down. The suggestion was that it would have been a pen if it was inside though. 

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

The assistant would have been slightly behind Miovski, horizontal to him, I doubt he'd have had any real view of the ball hitting hand. Similar to the real time view on camera. Penalties for those types of incidents are a nonsense anyway, they're entirely distorted when viewed back and slowed down. The suggestion was that it would have been a pen if it was inside though. 

I don’t entirely disagree that it’s a nonsense but compared to some of the pens we’ve conceded this season for handball, that contact with Scales’ arm is 100% a foul.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Is not bias though, it's understanding our audience and what content they're digesting and what they're not. You could argue we're more of a football department than a sports department for example. Glasgow Clan ice hockey team gets more fans through the door than a lot of Scottish championship teams. 

10 hours ago, BigAl said:

Completely agree with the last sentence.

Not a fan of Kenny McIntyre to be honest.

This will shock you, but I like Kenny. He's actually a good c**t.

11 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I agree,since Richard left the shows not as good.Though,if were going to be fair I also think he was a bit biased/indulgent towards Aberdeen in his comments,and over representation of ex Dons on the commentary teams,giving opposition fans a different reason to greet about bias

Edited by Elgindon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Is not bias though, it's understanding our audience and what content they're digesting and what they're not. You could argue we're more of a football department than a sports department for example. Glasgow Clan ice hockey team gets more fans through the door than a lot of Scottish championship teams. 

This will shock you, but I like Kenny. He's actually a good c**t.

In fairness Panda he quite possibly is, but in this instance we're not comparing apples with apples 😉

12 hours ago, BigAl said:

In fairness Panda he quite possibly is, but in this instance we're not comparing apples with apples 😉

I'm just spreading some positivity in this dark, negative world you and Rico are creating.

If either of you ever fancy coming on Sportsound we'd love to have you on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Panda said:

I'm just spreading some positivity in this dark, negative world you and Rico are creating.

If either of you ever fancy coming on Sportsound we'd love to have you on. 

Rico & Al

The new Saint & Greavsie or Cosgrove and Cowan 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

You really wouldn't. You'd never get me off. Think of Michael Stewart, but more argumentative.

I can be the voice of reason to your argumentative prick.

Then again maybe not 😂

• Like 1