Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Cup Semi-final

Thought it was all set up for Morris to score the winning penalty! 🤣

Great performance but it felt the officials were a bit too keen to see the Tims in the final! However if we’d been awarded a pen it may still have led to 3-3 but we’ll never know.

After a shaky start off the bench I thought Hoilett was great - the only positive to come out of Warnock’s jolly. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kowalski said:

Thought it was all set up for Morris to score the winning penalty! 🤣

Great performance but it felt the officials were a bit too keen to see the Tims in the final! However if we’d been awarded a pen it may still have led to 3-3 but we’ll never know.

After a shaky start off the bench I thought Hoilett was great - the only positive to come out of Warnock’s jolly. 

Morris was already down the tunnel hiding. Saying that, despite being the most disinterested player on the pitch, he did put in a great cross for the Hoilett penalty incident. Just saw the ridiculous decision to award a freekick in the build up before the pen, it's unbelievable. I'm assuming that because the freekick was awarded that the penalty can't be and that VAR were just discussing the rules. I suspect that they can't overturn the freekick, as that's not within VAR's remit and that's why the pen couldn't be given? The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the timing was an issue, in that the ref didn't actually blow for the freekick until after Hoilett was fouled? A terrible decision all round. I'm not convinced that there was enough evidence to say whether Scales was in the box, VAR is certainly right not to intervene there, for the same reasons as it shouldn't have against Livingston. The Tims would have got both those today though, VAR would have found a way.

5 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Morris was already down the tunnel hiding. Saying that, despite being the most disinterested player on the pitch, he did put in a great cross for the Hoilett penalty incident. Just saw the ridiculous decision to award a freekick in the build up before the pen, it's unbelievable. I'm assuming that because the freekick was awarded that the penalty can't be and that VAR were just discussing the rules. I suspect that they can't overturn the freekick, as that's not within VAR's remit and that's why the pen couldn't be given? The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the timing was an issue, in that the ref didn't actually blow for the freekick until after Hoilett was fouled? A terrible decision all round. I'm not convinced that there was enough evidence to say whether Scales was in the box, VAR is certainly right not to intervene there, for the same reasons as it shouldn't have against Livingston. The Tims would have got both those today though, VAR would have found a way.

For me, Scales is 100% in the box. If it’s on the line, it’s inside the box. Stonewall penalty. VAR should be able to see that. 

The Hoilett penalty, there’s a foul in the build up on Johnson. It may be soft but it’s probably the correct decision. The issue is the ref taking so long to blow the whistle, causing more confusion than it should have. 

St. Johnstone had a goal ruled out against us for a similar foul on McGrath. 

1 hour ago, STFU_Donny said:

For me, Scales is 100% in the box. If it’s on the line, it’s inside the box. Stonewall penalty. VAR should be able to see that. 

The Hoilett penalty, there’s a foul in the build up on Johnson. It may be soft but it’s probably the correct decision. The issue is the ref taking so long to blow the whistle, causing more confusion than it should have. 

St. Johnstone had a goal ruled out against us for a similar foul on McGrath. 

It's not even remotely a foul, nor was the St Johnstone own against us. If those are fouls then heading  should be banned, it was two players going for the ball. I agree, though, it was the ref taking an age to decide and then blow. Factoring in the consequences of denying a scum final before making the call, in my opinion. He could have easily left that to the VAR and called the pen. There's absolutely no way that had he given the penalty VAR would have overruled it for a foul in the build up. 

I'm not convinced that there's a camera angle that can show in or out of the box for Scales' arm. I think it's in, but it's not clear and obvious. Either way, both decisions were called as they were and a world without VAR would have been fine in the circumstances. 

Looking at the penalty one again, it appears that the ref let play go and called it once the penalty incident occurred, in the same way as linesmen are told to let close offsides go for the play to develop for the attacking team. Is that a first in football (that a ref has allowed play to develop following a foul rather than an offside)? I've never seen or heard of it before. It's intriguing. There's a good five seconds between the incident and him giving it, that's just not the done thing, anywhere. 

Best thing about that big stramash down at the front was seeing the presumably injured Miovski right in the middle of the bodies with the biggest smile in the world on his face pumping his fist in the air. Boy loves being a Dandy.

Edited by Slim
  • Like 1

Just home.

Tired and emotional, what a fucking bounce in our end. Not good for a man of my advanced years.

I have been to many a semi or final o'er the years and that one had the potential to be the greatest ever at Hampden.

Going into the penalty shoot out, given the manner of how we got there I felt certain this was finally our day against them at Hampden.

Haven't seen any TV pictures of the action, haven't yet read the comments on here but surely Robertson and his chums on VAR had a howler ?

59 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Haven't seen any TV pictures of the action, haven't yet read the comments on here but surely Robertson and his chums on VAR had a howler ?

I thought Robertson had a decent game in general, but the second pen is definitely a failure of some sort of protocol. Robertson let play go on as if it were an offside call, only giving the foul when the penalty incident occurred. He gave the decision in advance of the VAR check, which isn't the done thing, he should have given the penalty and let VAR decide on the foul, as he clearly wasn't certain on it. Because he made the call, the VAR can then just play the not clear and obvious card and avoid the call. Had he not made the decision, I'm absolutely certain VAR wouldn't have given that as a foul - because it fucking wasn't one. Again, just another inconsistency of VAR that makes it impossible for anyone to understand and follow what's going on.

30 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I thought Robertson had a decent game in general, but the second pen is definitely a failure of some sort of protocol. Robertson let play go on as if it were an offside call, only giving the foul when the penalty incident occurred. He gave the decision in advance of the VAR check, which isn't the done thing, he should have given the penalty and let VAR decide on the foul, as he clearly wasn't certain on it. Because he made the call, the VAR can then just play the not clear and obvious card and avoid the call. Had he not made the decision, I'm absolutely certain VAR wouldn't have given that as a foul - because it fucking wasn't one. Again, just another inconsistency of VAR that makes it impossible for anyone to understand and follow what's going on.

Yes, Robertson can be clearly seen, when the ball in played into the box and there's the coming together, that he doesn't think anything untoward has happened (otherwise he'd have given a free kick straightaway) so he moves away slightly backwards and to the side to see what was going to develop and then when Hoillet gets cleaned out, has a flashback in his brain and says "Oh yes, on 2nd thoughts there's a foul on the wimp in green".  It may well have been overruled in any case (don't know which GFA/Sky official was on VAR) though it wasn't any more of a foul than the septic player on McDonald's fuck-up.  Neither were fouls.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2024 at 00:14, Panda said:

Two clean sheets in a row, that offers me some hope.

Maybe, just maybe, we can recreate the spirit of 1990 and take it to penalties.

I think we'll lose 3-0 though.

What a prediction. I knew it would go to penalties and that we would concede three goals. 😏

The thing to note about the penalties - Brendan Rodgers said Celtic practiced them that week in training, I don't think (or at least it didn't look like) we did.

Maybe it's just a standard thing Celtic do before a cup tie, but was interesting they considered the prospect of spot kicks while we didn't. They certainly all looked more confident from the spot than we did.

13 minutes ago, Panda said:

What a prediction. I knew it would go to penalties and that we would concede three goals. 😏

The thing to note about the penalties - Brendan Rodgers said Celtic practiced them that week in training, I don't think (or at least it didn't look like) we did.

Maybe it's just a standard thing Celtic do before a cup tie, but was interesting they considered the prospect of spot kicks while we didn't. They certainly all looked more confident from the spot than we did.

I’d say we did. But as I said before, look at who we had take them, 2 kids and a loaner. I compare to scotland for example, we’ve been very good in shootouts, all experienced regular penalty takers. We had 2 guys who probably take penalties, McGrath and sokler, then Macdonald is pretty solid, but the rest are inexperienced kids or, to be honest, not very good players. Surprised we maybe didn’t see gartenmann but I wouldnt really want Morris or roos on one, and that leaves youngster Mackenzie. 
as proud as I was of the performance in the end, today we saw a poor Aberdeen squad. Did the best we could but yet another big summer ahead.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

That was an incredible game to be at, the fans were terrific and oh my the team, so proud of them, and 3 fantastic bounces for the goals!

Sad this morning waking up and remembering we are not actually gonna be in the final, that performance deserved a better outcome. 

Credit to Leven for working so hard with these players and let's have some of that fighting spirit for the rest of the games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goldie03 said:

That was an incredible game to be at, the fans were terrific and oh my the team, so proud of them, and 3 fantastic bounces for the goals!

Sad this morning waking up and remembering we are not actually gonna be in the final, that performance deserved a better outcome. 

Credit to Leven for working so hard with these players and let's have some of that fighting spirit for the rest of the games.

It sounded epic on tv and I was so happy my match day guilts got me. Was worth the minimal sleep and have to say was a bit emotional when the third went in. I dared to dream (even though I knew). The noise the dons fans made compared to them, chalk and cheese. Credit to all that made the journey.

That is the level of performance we expect from a dons team against Celtic at hampden. I’ve still yet to see it in person, but it was epic to see it happen. Great to see sokler on the score sheet and that the subs actually (morris aside) all made positive contributions. Morris I will grant put the ball in for the second non pen, but that aside was hiding and actually caused issues. Regardless, plenty of positive performances from the good guys, but Roos, GTF. What the hell was he playing at when Duncan was walking up for the pen? I remember thinking at the time, there is no way he scores after having to wait. Imbecile. 

anyway, we turn back to league survival. Team have shown they’ve got fight and spirit, now need to show it again. Also, how we feeling about shinnie? Midfield looked pretty composed and balanced? 

All I will to what has been posted before is how proud I am of my team and pleased I am that leven is going to be involved going forward.  We have taken so many proverbial kickings this season I honestly didn't think so much fight was still in us. 

Anyone else think Morris did alright in the brief time he was on? 

7 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Anyone else think Morris did alright in the brief time he was on? 

Eh, no.  I think he proved once and for all that he has no place anywhere near an Aberdeen first team (should anyone have been in any doubt after the Motherwell game).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, manc_don said:

Having listened to some of the highlights from the BBC, thank fuck my stream was Premier Sports. Was much better!

Go on then, what was wrong with the BBC coverage?

7 minutes ago, Panda said:

Go on then, what was wrong with the BBC coverage?

I thought it was okay, however they missed the fact that the ref was pointing towards our goal for the penalty incident, and they failed to find out, or show what the actual decision was given for. Also, MacLeod has a weird erection for all things Celtic for a Dons fan. Waxing lyrical about the number of finals, winners medals for McGregor etc without any hint towards the huge structural bias in their favour is just weird. Otherwise, it was decent I thought.

Like almost every other provider these days, they can't have a second to breathe in their coverage, which is really frustrating. Every moment the ball is out of play must be filled with player close-ups, fan close-ups, manager close-ups, which means you don't get to see any of the positional play - how quick we are to gain shape, if we're pressing high on throws or whatever. I hold the BBC to a higher standard, as it's not just there to hold viewer's attention like the private channels, but I realise that's extremely unfair. I suspect they don't do their own production anyway these days.