Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Apologies for the source but Johnny Hayes massively talking up polvara in the record here panda.  Sounds like he's going to get game time whether rama stays or goes 2bh.  

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/jonny-hayes-sees-aberdeen-fc-30589151?fbclid=IwAR1uzaE2Af6yLEiqPNj-MawYSFPm2aNbCPToUq-JPwvms_1cB3-ciXe4ap0

If Rama is to go he goes with my best wishes. He wouldn't be impossible to replace but he won't be that easy either.   He's a very solid player at this level and seemed a good influence on the squad in general.  My preference would be to keep him because we have more than enough of a turnover of squad this window as it is. 

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

I think Rama is like willo flood, had his fans but also some didn’t rate him. I think rama does a job for us, we’ve just struggled for flair, creativity, and width and he does more than he should. Will be tough to replace.

The comparison between Ramadani and Flood is a good one, but I'd say Flood was the better player. He did much of the same stuff as Rama, but better.

And even then, I don't think it was a case of not rating Flood, just that we needed better than him to go up a level. Just like Ramadani.

A left field,left back signing.Hopefully an upgrade on fellow Kiwi,Rory Fallon,wonder strikes aside.

Apparently he can play further forward.Preferably as a wing back also with a bit of luck

Welcome aboard James

Edited by Elgindon

Good player, had struggled with injury earlier in his career but I was disappointed when he left the nix. He wasn’t first choice, but there wasn’t much between him and the then Lb. Wasn’t as good as Cacace who I wanted us to sign, but improved big time at CCM. Was always a frustration when he played for the nix that he didn’t shoot and get forward enough. Then he did with them and scored some screamers last season. Believe he started his career further up field and moved to the back line.

I’m trying to remember if I saw him play as part of a back 3, uffie played a 4-2-2-2 but not sure what Montgomery utilised.

3 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Interesting to note Celtic have a ‘defensive crisis’ and scales doesn’t even make the match squad today. Scales on the left of a 3 while the NZ boy at left wing back please.

Feels like this would make sense, although I feel that is heavily reliant on scales forming the same type of relationship he had with the defence as he did last season. McGarry is fine going forward, but defending wasn’t his forte. When he goes bombing up, that person needs to be able to handle the pressure.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

Feels like this would make sense, although I feel that is heavily reliant on scales forming the same type of relationship he had with the defence as he did last season. McGarry is fine going forward, but defending wasn’t his forte. When he goes bombing up, that person needs to be able to handle the pressure.

Not quite sure I understand you regarding ‘the defense,’ in terms of relationship he’d have the same keeper and be next to Macdonald again, the two closest to him. Williams or slob replacing pollock. You’ll train that 4 to work together, assuming it’s a back 3, full faith it would work. The big unit today didn’t look much different to pollock and I have to believe Williams has to be decent. Actually intrigued to see Mcgarry as an attacker based on your comments, thought Hayes looked average at best today, showed his age.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

Not quite sure I understand you regarding ‘the defense,’ in terms of relationship he’d have the same keeper and be next to Macdonald again, the two closest to him. Williams or slob replacing pollock. You’ll train that 4 to work together, assuming it’s a back 3, full faith it would work. The big unit today didn’t look much different to pollock and I have to believe Williams has to be decent. Actually intrigued to see Mcgarry as an attacker based on your comments, thought Hayes looked average at best today, showed his age.

Suppose I more meant the level of competence we saw from him with McDonald and pollock rather than Stewart et al. 

Quiet morning after our first game!

fair to say we are committed to 3 at the back, and playing 3-5-2. Can’t see Williams or ruby coming here to come off the bench and Macdonald has been excellent for us. Thought ruby looked really solid although that was a game very suited to him. I also think we’re committed to 2 up top. Mcgarry and devlin as wing backs I’d assume. We’re missing another central midfielder with Rama gone despite the up talk of polvara. Cormack said 4-5 signings, surely it’s a central midfielder and wingers were looking at to finish the squad rebuild. Any names out there? And as for Liam scales, looking at the squad now, despite a different type of player I think ruby was his replacement in the squad. Mackenzie and Mcgarry, plus Hayes, have left back/wingback covered.

16 hours ago, Panda said:

The one thing we're not crying out for is another central defender. And the only way Scales plays next Sunday anyway is if he's wearing a Celtic shirt.

We're not crying out for one, but no way McKenzie is playing every week for us. He played well against Livingston, defensively, but does nothing coming forward with the ball and is slow to get it under control. Scales is a far better all round footballer and I think he could go on to be very good. If we get the option to sign then we should go for it, a loan would be a terrible decision as this is definitely the season that'll make or break him as a player. Ideally we'd get him in time for Europe, and it certainly shouldn't prohibit us from being on the lookout for a midfielder and a winger and number ten. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

We're not crying out for one, but no way McKenzie is playing every week for us. He played well against Livingston, defensively, but does nothing coming forward with the ball and is slow to get it under control. Scales is a far better all round footballer and I think he could go on to be very good. If we get the option to sign then we should go for it, a loan would be a terrible decision as this is definitely the season that'll make or break him as a player. Ideally we'd get him in time for Europe, and it certainly shouldn't prohibit us from being on the lookout for a midfielder and a winger and number ten. 

If there's a chance to sign Scales without paying over the odds for him, then aye, I'm up for it. I don't need convincing.

But I think Mackenzie given time in that position can also develop into a good player, so I'm not overly concerned about the situation. 

21 minutes ago, Panda said:

If there's a chance to sign Scales without paying over the odds for him, then aye, I'm up for it. I don't need convincing.

But I think Mackenzie given time in that position can also develop into a good player, so I'm not overly concerned about the situation. 

I'm just not convinced Mackenzie will ever be better than average.  Put it this way, if he wasnt left footed he probably would have been released by now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

I'm just not convinced Mackenzie will ever be better than average.  Put it this way, if he wasnt left footed he probably would have been released by now. 

Well, we can argue all week about whether Mackenzie will be a problem for us this season, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

Unless Robson pulls a rabbit out of the bag, or Mackenzie skips the queue ahead of Rubezic at lunch and gets maimed badly for it, then he'll he playing against Celtic on Sunday.

On the subject of LCBs by the way, latest rumour is Celtic want Scott McKenna...

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Well, we can argue all week about whether Mackenzie will be a problem for us this season, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

Unless Robson pulls a rabbit out of the bag, or Mackenzie skips the queue ahead of Rubezic at lunch and gets maimed badly for it, then he'll he playing against Celtic on Sunday.

On the subject of LCBs by the way, latest rumour is Celtic want Scott McKenna...

Would be disappointed if McKenna was to drop down to Celtic’s level. I would have thought he had done enough for another bottom half EPL team to buy him if Forrest are selling. 

As for Scales I am still not convinced we should be paying for him especially the amount Celtic are allegedly asking for. 100% cannot be another loan. 

4 hours ago, Jute said:

Sounds like a rumor in the same vein as the one that Kieren Tierney would be going back to them. Scott Mckenna starts every week for a pl team when fit. Generally that means his value is £20 million+ at his age and there is no way Celtic will pay that for him. 

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Any chance of us getting O'Hara from St Mirren? Would be a good signing, better than thon Baccus lad in my opinion. Offer them £100K plus a chance to play a lucrative pre-season friendly against us next summer.

O’Hara is under contract for another 3 years. Think we will struggle to get him for a decent fee. Baccus is out of contract so available at a cheaper price. They accepted £275k for Baccus earlier in the summer. O’Hara was better player on Sunday but overall think Baccus would be better option.