Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

13 minutes ago, BigAl said:

So, Jamie McGrath then

Can't say it excites me and strikes me a a lazy signing, but I'll give him a chance as I do for anyone joining the famous.

Apologies about the source:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jamie-mcgrath-closes-aberdeen-transfer-30758515

Underwhelmed would be an understatement 

47 minutes ago, Slim said:

Not really paid that much attention to him, but from memory he’s not a similar type of player as Ramadani and plays further up the pitch meaning that if he plays, Clarkson is likely to drop back?

Defo more a no 10 type player i think but could be wrong.  I do remember he had an excellent period at St mirren and I'm not going to judge him too harshly for his showings at utd given how much of a basket case that club is.  

That said I empathise with the underwhelmed feeling of you all, I suspect he wasn't first choice but that doesn't mean he can't do a turn.  If he can ge back to the level he was at a few years ago he could be an asset to us. 

I’ll go against the grain here. I’m happy if we get him. Proven player at this level, young enough to improve, internationalist. not an unknown foreigner. And yes, creative 10, dead balls etc. our squad lacks this. Haven’t had this type since Maddison or Christie. And I don’t expect him to be overly expensive. Signing won’t wow people but I’d say similar to devlin, will be good for us.

still need a midfield grafter too.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OrlandoDon said:

And yes, creative 10, dead balls etc. our squad lacks this. Haven’t had this type since Maddison or Christie. 

Isn’t Clarkson this type?

Not going to pish my pants over the signing but my concern is that we’ll end up treating Clarkson like Kenny McLean and wasting a good few years making him play deeper than he is effective playing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

Not going to pish my pants over the signing but my concern is that we’ll end up treating Clarkson like Kenny McLean and wasting a good few years making him play deeper than he is effective playing. 

To an extent, and I’m not saying both start every week, but we are overly reliant on clarkson. I also see clarkson as a little deeper. Can’t have enough flair in my eyes, need that magic, especially when we have no wingers.

I like McGrath, he's a technically gifted footballer (although so is Dean Campbell). He could be of an age where he's learning to dominate opponents and get the best out of his obvious attributes, but he's certainly not done so to date. From what I've seen of him, exertion seems to be his limitation, but if he's ready to focus and work on getting up and down the pitch, he could be a fantastic signing. We need a number eight to replace Ramadani unless we're getting a really good number ten (McGrath doesn't currently fall in that category, perhaps the Croatian lad did). If he can get his finger out, there's nothing stopping him doing that. Ramadani converted well to a number eight at around the same age, so perhaps McGrath might. He's cheap and a known quantity, good for the squad.

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

I don't agree with that on two counts.  1 I felt Maclean played his best stuff when he moved back to cm and Christie was playing the advanced role.  2.My feeling was  Clarkson played his best stuff for us last season when he was a bit deeper 2bh. On the second point I could easily be wrong though 2bf.

2 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I don't agree with that on two counts.  1 I felt Maclean played his best stuff when he moved back to cm and Christie was playing the advanced role.  2.My feeling was  Clarkson played his best stuff for us last season when he was a bit deeper 2bh. On the second point I could easily be wrong though 2bf.

Nah, I think you're right. McLean continues to play further back to this day.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slim said:

Looks like he was linked with £2m moves to English teams last summer, including Watford and Millwall. Only scored 3 goals in 28 games last season. Still only 23.

Looks a big ol unit as well which is usually useful in this league. 

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

He's only 27

Nah min that was years ago.Gornik Zabrze now.  

Big enough loon,dont know enough about him,but hope this puts to bed the Liam Scales chat,and saves us a few quid.

Welcome aboard min,plus the other guys.No doubt over on the Hat,theyll find reasons to continue to be in meltdown.Best avoided*

edit..*and bide here with us racist tw@ts

Edited by Elgindon
  • Like 1