Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Wednesday: Hearts v Aberdeen

Sorry, I know Manc usually starts these but I get impatient 

Huge game really since a defeat leaves us nine points behind, and with Hearts' general level of consistency that might be third realistically over.

Stewart I imagine is out. Unless Goodwin is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat with a new signing, it means McCrorie at centre back and Kennedy or Richardson at RB. Shame since McCrorie at RB been working well.

Wonder if we'll see Myslovic. Duk and Hayes in particular looked like they picked up knocks at Hampden.

But I would try and start as close to the semi team as possible. With five subs I don't think you need to make too many changes from the starting line-up. 

Winnable game, Hearts aren't great shakes and St Mirren deserved more on Friday. But a draw wouldn't be the worst result, would keep them within catchable distance and we've still to play them twice.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1

I think we have a better team than Hearts on our day. I think they just have a consistency that we haven't found yet. I do have a feeling that this is going to be a tough game coming so soon after the semi-final. Would be happy enough with a draw down there, but hope we can sneak a win. They seem to be having injury issues at the back aswell so hopefully it's a more open game than you would usually expect from playing them.

I have a feeling regardless we are not going to overtake them this season. We are too inconsistent and if we were going to get third we needed to capitalise on them playing in Europe every midweek up to Xmas and build a lead. The fact we havent done that at this stage makes me think we won't. 

Prediction 2-2 Miovski Double after getting back in amongst the goals yesterday.

We need to win on Wednesday to have any chance of finishing 3rd. If Hearts get European group stage money again this season then they are going to start pulling away from the rest of us. 120 minutes on a heavy pitch will have taken a lot out of the players so expecting Goodwin to makes changes on top of the one enforced by Stewart’s idiocy. Goodwin said post match Lopes has a thigh injury and Hayes looked to be hobbling at the end. Has to be Kennedy to right back as Richardson simply isn’t good enough for this level. Wonder if we will try and delay Ramierz leaving if Lopes is struggling. Despite Hearts playing poorly at the moment they keep winning which is the difference between us and them. We play poorly we lose. 

In

Work then pub

Away end

20 minute bus ride home

2-0 no dons scorer

All good @Panda had planned this for my train back down the road! Gutted to be missing this, but at least I got one game in. 

hayes looked hurt yesterday, and seemed to be playing through the pain barrier for the sake of the jersey. I’d like to think Stewart will reconsider the captaincy, along with Goodwin, but I doubt that’ll happen. 

hearts are grinding out results regardless at the moment, so whilst a win is necessary, I will take a draw after the hampden encounter. 

out

dadding

hopefully catch the game on RedTV

bed

2-1 them, miovski 

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

Has there been any news on who's likely to miss out today? Really, really need a win, but a draw at the very least. Hoping this good feeling around the club gets an opportunity to grow.

Goodwin was being coy about it in the press conference, saying there's concerns over one or two, but Jonny Hayes was the player put up and he said he's fine fitness wise. So my guess would be Duk and Scales perhaps. 

Roos

Kennedy McCrorie Mackenzie Coulson

Ramadani

Barron Shinnie

Hayes

Miovski Watkins

That team is good enough to do the job. Let's not put Hearts up on a pedestal here, they're bang average. Just need a few battlers in there to fight fire with fire.

59 minutes ago, Panda said:

Goodwin was being coy about it in the press conference, saying there's concerns over one or two, but Jonny Hayes was the player put up and he said he's fine fitness wise. So my guess would be Duk and Scales perhaps. 

Roos

Ramadani

Barron Shinnie

Hayes

Miovski Watkins

That team is good enough to do the job. Let's not put Hearts up on a pedestal here, they're bang average. Just need a few battlers in there to fight fire with fire.

Nah, hearts aren't bang average.  They have become a pretty well rounded team now and this is going to be a really fucking tough game. 

I agree we should be looking to press them though, sitting in isn't an option given our defensive woes and if we are to get anything we have to be dominant in midfield.  That isn't out with the realms of possibility with rama and Shinnie in our ranks.  If they both have a good game we have a great chance to get something out of this. 

I wouldn't be playing Kennedy at rb though.  He's been so good lately and we need him further forward. 2bh I think it will be Richardson at rb...... 

Goodwin was very vague re injuries in his presser (and who can blame him) but he did suggest Lewis might be playing.

I think it will be

Lewis

Richardson, Mcrorie, scales/McKenzie, coulson

Ramadani, shinnie

Kennedy, barron/Clarkson, hayes

Miovski

In all honesty I would snap your hand of for a point right now but I do think the team above is capable of a win. Despite the disappointment of the result on Sunday it was hard not to feel good about the team.  We really looked like a team for a start and even after the sending off no quarter was asked nor given.  Shinnie is key to this i believe.  I don't care who is wearing the armband he's the biggest leader we have on the pitch and players know it.

Regardless of the result tonight I think we are going to have a pretty good second half to the season.  We really just need a defender (though I wouldn't be pissed off with 2) and a striker in to my eye. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Roos

Ramadani

Barron Shinnie

Hayes

Miovski Watkins

As tlg says, think one of the injuries is Roos, which would be fine, with Lewis being comparable.

Two of the things apparent in the last couple of months is that if we're playing a back four, then we need the two sitting in front, and Barron is terrible played further forward*. That hasn't been clear to you, with that selection obviously!!!

If Clarkson is unavailable then it has to be Besuijen or the new guy instead. Agree that Kennedy at right back is probably the safest option. We should stick with 4-2-3-1, which has given us the best and most organised shape so far this season. Hayes on the left, Duncan on the right for me. Keep Watkins on the bench to bring on if/when Miovski runs out of ideas/steam.

*Barron is poor at taking the ball with his back to goal, much better coming forward with it (McGregor at the Tims would be a good comparison). Clarkson is more complete in that regard, and Besuijen is good with his back to goal, but unreliable as a midfielder.

Edited by RicoS321

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

As tlg says, think one of the injuries is Roos, which would be fine, with Lewis being comparable.

Two of the things apparent in the last couple of months is that if we're playing a back four, then we need the two sitting in front, and Barron is terrible played further forward*. That hasn't been clear to you, with that selection obviously!!!

If Clarkson is unavailable then it has to be Besuijen or the new guy instead. Agree that Kennedy at right back is probably the safest option. We should stick with 4-2-3-1, which has given us the best and most organised shape so far this season. Hayes on the left, Duncan on the right for me. Keep Watkins on the bench to bring on if/when Miovski runs out of ideas/steam.

*Barron is poor at taking the ball with his back to goal, much better coming forward with it (McGregor at the Tims would be a good comparison). Clarkson is more complete in that regard, and Besuijen is good with his back to goal, but unreliable as a midfielder.

No no, I have Barron sat in the middle making passes. Hayes is the attacking midfielder with Kennedy also bombing forward.

Really disappointing I've had to publicly explain my tactics. If Robbie Neilson reads this we've given away our advantage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To many that just aren't good enough. Coulson really isn't any better than young Jack and is being destroyed.

Kennedy and Hayes aint offering much. Miovski has no presence and is a fucking horse. Genuinely not fit to lace Cosgrove's boots. One goal in a semi does not a player make.