Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Top tier football players are wired differently to people like us. Take Ramsay for example, he’s played football for the last 10 years and all he has ever known is being one of the best (if not the best) players on whatever team he has played for. He’s never experienced being out of his depth or the feeling of not being good enough. There’s more chance of him fully expecting to go down the road and displace Trent Whatshisname from the Liverpool team than him sitting at home right now weighing up the pros and cons of staying at Pittodrie or being loaned out to Rotherham. If he really is destined for the top, he won’t even be contemplating failure. 

48 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Here's a thought I have from time to time.  Would you have Anderson back? 

The forward isn’t the problem. It’s the creativity throughout the team, and I actually think Ramirez is a good player, even though he’s most likely away. He was starved of service for much of the year. I’d prefer Ramirez over Anderson, plus Bruce signed a three year deal last summer, we’d have to pay there. Our main priority should be two legit wingers (meaning better than kennedy and mclennan) and a creative attacking center mid. 

Or were you meaning Russel Anderson??

Edited by OrlandoDon

8 hours ago, Jute said:

Club confirmed three of fringe players away. Suspect there will be others announced shortly. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4240577/revealed-three-young-dons-heading-for-aberdeen-exit/

Did post this in another thread but probably should be in here as well.

So no good young left sided centre back returning to the squad. That would have been ideal. A lot of pressure on getting that position right now too.

6 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

The forward isn’t the problem. It’s the creativity throughout the team, and I actually think Ramirez is a good player, even though he’s most likely away. He was starved of service for much of the year. I’d prefer Ramirez over Anderson, plus Bruce signed a three year deal last summer, we’d have to pay there. Our main priority should be two legit wingers (meaning better than kennedy and mclennan) and a creative attacking center mid. 

Or were you meaning Russel Anderson??

If you mention priority, it HAS to be decent centre back. Bates is not it. Our midfield is coming deep to defend as they know we need help back there. 

If Goodwin is doing what he said of making hard decisions, releasing Bates should be top of the list of Ruth and Fringe players for me. Just sad we don't have an true back up or young talent coming through. McKenna was the last one kid to come through at that position. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Slim said:

Top tier football players are wired differently to people like us. Take Ramsay for example, he’s played football for the last 10 years and all he has ever known is being one of the best (if not the best) players on whatever team he has played for. He’s never experienced being out of his depth or the feeling of not being good enough. There’s more chance of him fully expecting to go down the road and displace Trent Whatshisname from the Liverpool team than him sitting at home right now weighing up the pros and cons of staying at Pittodrie or being loaned out to Rotherham. If he really is destined for the top, he won’t even be contemplating failure. 

Don’t disagree at all there Slim but there is absolutely zero chance Ramsay will ever become Liverpool’s first choice right back while Trent is there. Alexander-Arnold is not just any old full back, the guy is on a totally different level and could probably fetch £100M+ on the transfer market. Am guessing he would easily be in the top 10 players in the EPL in most peoples eyes.

I’m not knocking Ramsay’s ability nor his potential but it is easy to see things through rose tinted glasses when looking at one of your own teams players. Comparing with McKenna for example, he was already an international before moving to England, even captaining Scotland on one occasion I think and he “only” got a move to the Championship. Ramsay has not even made the Scotland squad yet, never mind the team. I like player but I’m not totally getting the hype to be honest. Too many people looking at the data and too few looking at what he is actually doing on the pitch. The Dons are stoking the fire because they want a high fee for him, which is only natural of course. 

19 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Don’t disagree at all there Slim but there is absolutely zero chance Ramsay will ever become Liverpool’s first choice right back while Trent is there. Alexander-Arnold is not just any old full back, the guy is on a totally different level and could probably fetch £100M+ on the transfer market. Am guessing he would easily be in the top 10 players in the EPL in most peoples eyes.

I’m not knocking Ramsay’s ability nor his potential but it is easy to see things through rose tinted glasses when looking at one of your own teams players. Comparing with McKenna for example, he was already an international before moving to England, even captaining Scotland on one occasion I think and he “only” got a move to the Championship. Ramsay has not even made the Scotland squad yet, never mind the team. I like player but I’m not totally getting the hype to be honest. Too many people looking at the data and too few looking at what he is actually doing on the pitch. The Dons are stoking the fire because they want a high fee for him, which is only natural of course. 

I disagree. I've not seen a player come through at pittodrie with as much potential (in the last thirty years anyway). He's better than Fraser, Jack and in a different league to McKenna. I'd say Tierney at the Tims was probably a good comparison. There is a huge void between potential and player of course, and a high percentage chance he won't make it. I can see what scouts at Liverpool would be seeing though, and it's not based on data (other than assists earlier in the season, I'm not sure his stats would be that good), it's the way he plays the game. There was a cross he put in at the weekend into a fantastic area that the striker nearly got on the end of. He put the ball in with pace, but he did it mid stride with barely any back lift at all and his head still up, the technique was just brilliant. He's just got class, very gifted indeed. I'm actually surprised more fans aren't raving about him.

As you say, their existing fullback isn't someone that is going to be shifted easily, so it remains to be seen how Liverpool could convert potential into player without playing them. Also, skills and talent don't make a player on their own of course. Some of the most graceful skills I've seen in the last while at pittodrie came from Jet, who shows exactly how talent can be wasted (although he was missing some fundamental attributes to make it at the top too).

4 hours ago, RedKev said:

If you mention priority, it HAS to be decent centre back. Bates is not it. Our midfield is coming deep to defend as they know we need help back there. 

If Goodwin is doing what he said of making hard decisions, releasing Bates should be top of the list of Ruth and Fringe players for me. Just sad we don't have an true back up or young talent coming through. McKenna was the last one kid to come through at that position. 

We have center backs on the books. Not disagreeing we need another but we have internationalists who are off form on a shit team. 
we have no flair and creativity. We can’t create. Fix that and we’re a totally different team, which will take the pressure off the defense.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jute said:

Club confirmed three of fringe players away. Suspect there will be others announced shortly. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4240577/revealed-three-young-dons-heading-for-aberdeen-exit/

Did post this in another thread but probably should be in here as well.

Keeps saying I need to subscribe, who are the three young players?

13 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Here's a thought I have from time to time.  Would you have Anderson back? 

Yes.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Keeps saying I need to subscribe, who are the three young players?

Michael Ruth, Tyler mykyta and the world beating left sided centre half that you promised me was ace.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Yes

No

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Michael Ruth, Tyler mykyta and the world beating left sided centre half that you promised me was ace.

No

Luke Turner?

So we've sent him out on loan, he's won a cup, could still win the league (edit: they lost it by one point to Linfield last weekend), has their fans raving about him & potentially might win POTY, and we decide he hasn't done enough!!??

Surely he's said he's homesick or something because otherwise what exactly where we expecting him to do on his loan spell - win the Nobel peace prize, agree a brexit trade deal, and reverse global warming?

Edited by Panda

And Bruce Anderson will one day play for Scotland. Mark my words.

Though to be fair Kevin Nisbet got capped and he's bang average, and we have few options up front, so it's maybe not that high a bar he needs to reach.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Panda said:

Luke Turner?

So we've sent him out on loan, he's won a cup, could still win the league (edit: they lost it by one point to Linfield last weekend), has their fans raving about him & potentially might win POTY, and we decide he hasn't done enough!!??

Surely he's said he's homesick or something because otherwise what exactly where we expecting him to do on his loan spell - win the Nobel peace prize, agree a brexit trade deal, and reverse global warming?

I get the feeling the decision was made by the previous regime and Goodwin has decided just to go with their assessment.

12 hours ago, Panda said:

Luke Turner?

1 hour ago, Jute said:

I get the feeling the decision was made by the previous regime and Goodwin has decided just to go with their assessment.

Very strange decision IMHO.

Ok, admittedly I've not seen him play but everything I've read about him suggests we should have been keeping him.

• Like 1

Maybe Turner is being released as they fancy, Towler and Hancock as better LCB prospects? Plus I hear/read a lot of folk think MacKenzie could play there, which I guess is a possibility with Ngwenya being involved next season.

There must be loads of folk at the club who think they know enough about Turner to have made a sound judgement. A trial at Forest off the back of a good season in Northern Ireland doesn't mean he should've got a new contract here. Now if he gets a contract at Forest off the back of it that's a different story but there could be all kinds of explanations for this rumoured trial, only one of which being that the Dons have screwed up and should have kept him.

I don’t know about that, I’d be more of the opinion that if you send a young player out on loan with the objective of making an impact and he ends up winning an award for the best young player in the entire country while winning silverware with his team, he would automatically deserve at least a year extension to see if your preconceptions about him may have been wrong or if he’s a delayed bloomer. Especially if his position is exactly the same as one we’re desperate to fill. 

I would go so far as saying giving him a modest extension would be a lower risk than any other signing we will make this summer.

• Like 2

Dunno, he maybe just got papped over to NI to get him out of the way early and there was never any intention of monitoring his progress. Can't be many 19yos in the NI league that are good enough for a regular game in Scotland's top division with a club aiming to be 3rd, and it also seems that Forest want him for their development team. If we loaned a player from the same setup I don't think anyone would have particularly high hopes.

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

Dunno, he maybe just got papped over to NI to get him out of the way early and there was never any intention of monitoring his progress. Can't be many 19yos in the NI league that are good enough for a regular game in Scotland's top division with a club aiming to be 3rd, and it also seems that Forest want him for their development team. If we loaned a player from the same setup I don't think anyone would have particularly high hopes.

Scott McKenna? Surely a loan spell at a lower Scottish division is on a par with cliftonville? I just assumed that there were other issues at play, like not liking the club or city or whatever. Or maybe an Ethan Ross type situation (who I'd have kept for another year or two as I thought he'd be better than McLennan etc) where the agent has been working behind the scenes. 

Either way, it suggests that Goodwin either has a good left sided centre back already agreed to sign, or that he genuinely thinks it's possible to turn Bates into a competent left sided player after a year of it not being the case. I'm hoping the former.