Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

17 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

Partly agree but our recruitment record doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I didn't think losing Ash Taylor and Tommie Hoban was any great loss at the time but the Bates/Gallagher partnership has been substantially worse. Some people argued the likes of Scott Wright, McKenna and Jack weren't that great when they left but they'd all walk into our current side.

We seem to be putting a lot of faith in our ability to not only strengthen a pretty terrible squad but also replace our main striker, best midfielder, and arguably most talented player (Ramsay) in the process. We probably need about five very good signings to pull that off and our previous track record would suggest we'll be fortunate to get one.

Exactly this. The expectations for next season should be low. There are no teams in the world getting 100% recruitment success, and were short 6 first team players. That will mean at least ten signings (remember Ferguson was third choice after gleeson and Forrester). Ideally it would be 12+ to get 6 players, but that's not a manageable turnover in a single window. It'll also mean filling out squad with another 4-5 largely unusable players again. I think if we can target 4 low risk good signings then that would be a good start. Add in youngsters returning and a couple of loans and keep a thin squad until January. Obviously, those four signings have to want to come to us and have to be a perfect fit, but if we can get them in early enough then there'll be time towards the end of the window for correcting. We're miles away in reality, it'll be relying on luck and others being crap to get us close to the European spots.

On 04/05/2022 at 10:37, baggy89 said:

Maybe Turner is being released as they fancy, Towler and Hancock as better LCB prospects? Plus I hear/read a lot of folk think MacKenzie could play there, which I guess is a possibility with Ngwenya being involved next season.

I've watched him against stenny this year. Doesn't look ready for the first team.

In regards to Ferguson, I see his situation similar to Ryan jack. We won’t fully appreciate him until he’s gone, and he will move on to bigger better things. Would like to see him go the McKenna route, do well in the championship then an EPL move, which is what I expect from McKenna this summer if forest aren’t promoted.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Considine, McGeouch, Ojo and Ruth on their way. Jenks and Montgomery return to parent clubs. No mention of anyone still in contract yet.

Brown and Emmanuel Thomas already away as well. Fair number away and needing to be replaced. 

17 contracted players left in the first team squad going by the names on the club website. Assuming Ferguson and Ramsay go, that only leaves 15, including guys like McLennan, Campbell, Kennedy and Woods.

Even allowing for one or two youths being promoted, that’s some amount of spaces to fill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

17 contracted players left in the first team squad going by the names on the club website. Assuming Ferguson and Ramsay go, that only leaves 15, including guys like McLennan, Campbell, Kennedy and Woods.

Even allowing for one or two youths being promoted, that’s some amount of spaces to fill.

A lot of space and, to be fair to Goodwin, do you give him a two year commitment? As you mention, Kennedy, McLennan, and Woods aren't on the list (but should be), of the 15 how many are players we ultimately want? It can't be a one season overhaul.....

Edited by LA-Don

5 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

A lot of space and, to be fair to Goodwin, do you give him a two year commitment? As you mention, Kennedy, McLennan, and Woods aren't on the list (but should be), of the 15 how many are players we ultimately want? It can't be a one season overhaul.....

Three windows I'd say. If there's no sign of progress at the start of the season after next then let him go. You're right, one season isn't enough, but we should know past January if we're getting a good return on our signings and then another dig at it in the summer. 

I've got a feeling we'll keep Kennedy, and he'll be Goodwin's Ojo type project (and maybe a little bit of pragmatism). I'd still like to see Campbell here, because he just seems to have so much unfulfilled potential, and not in a Craig Storie kind of way, he actually looks like he could be very good. 

• Like 1

It's often said it takes a manager 3 windows to get his own team on the park. You don't normally need at least ten in though so we could see a Goodwin team after one window potentially, defo 2.  The downside to that is we could have a patchy start to the season with so many new faces having to gel. We need to get a lot business done as early as possible to try and counter this but that's easier said than done. 

19 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

It's often said it takes a manager 3 windows to get his own team on the park. You don't normally need at least ten in though so we could see a Goodwin team after one window potentially, defo 2.  The downside to that is we could have a patchy start to the season with so many new faces having to gel. We need to get a lot business done as early as possible to try and counter this but that's easier said than done. 

Exactly...for me its the team gelling that is more important, this doesn't happen overnight sadly.

Problem that Goodwin has got is that his honeymoon period has already passed.  He's taken the job at a bad time because he could not get his own players in until June.  Let's say he only wins 3 games out of his first 15 next season, the press will twist this by combining the "data" from the end of the previous season to say that he has only won 4 out of 30 games or whatever it is as they seem to do and fans latch straight on to these things instead of seeing it for what it really is.

It's all very well saying give him 3 transfer windows but the fans wanted Glass out by Christmas.  People just won't accept not winning games for very long.  

Jimmy took us from 11th to 4th (level on points with hibs in 3rd) and the same points total Hearts achieved this year in one season.

Did it by;

Adding Severin, the Paatelainen brothers (0 appearances), Craig, Adams, Kristjanssen (1 start), Jamie Winter, Whelan, Pasquinelli, Dempsey (amateur at the end of the season 0 starts), Byrne, Blaha (2 starts) and Illic (0 appearances). 

Getting rid of Hinds, Sheerin, Booth, Rutkiewicz, Tiernan, Zdrilic, Prunty, and some youth players. 

Pretty impressive when you look at it. Bar Seve, some amount of mediocre averageness and absolute shite in the signings. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Shaun Rooney out of contract at St Johnstone. Surely worth a look?

Aye, I'd have him here. Great asset to a team. Pursists wouldn't appreciate him, but I'd love to seem him tanking up the line and booting fuck out of folk.

2 hours ago, wee toon red said:

Shaun Rooney out of contract at St Johnstone. Surely worth a look?

Wouldn't be averse to this either. Big lad but he can shift. This is based on nothing more than games against us towards the end of the season and last nights play-off. 

Also Callum Hendry as a squad player. Might have even made top 6 had he signed this Jan rather than last. 

I’d have Callum Hendry too if he’s going free and cheap. He started to look serviceable in his last few games on loan with us and has been in good firm for the last 6 months or so in a shite St Johnstone team. I think there’s enough talent in there for a back up striker role at least, something different (more direct) from the bench if Ramirez is still here and not having much joy.

Edit - that was weird 🧐

Edited by Slim
Baggy mind raping me

34 minutes ago, Panda said:

Michael Hector now a free agent after being released by Fulham.

Still only 29.

Still beyond our wage structure also I'd imagine but then again if you don't ask...... you can't be told to fuck off I suppose 😉

Feels weird even thinking about signing Callum Hendry who surely has to have been one of the least inspiring loan signings in our club history.

Having said that he did actually show up the big lad with the train like name and the ex Hun who all joined at the same time and at least looked as if he was interested at the time he was with us.

Given it has taken him so long to actually get playing and scoring regularly with St J not sure he'd come to us without some form of playing guarantee.

Also worth noting that his past isn't exactly littered with scoring streaks, so could be one of coming out of contract and taking things a bit more serious. We've seen this sort of thing time and again in the past.

Wonder if he'd have been in Seville with his old man if he hadn't had the play offs to contend with 😉

15 minutes ago, Panda said:

Michael Hector now a free agent after being released by Fulham.

Still only 29.

I think we need to stop signing players in positions that we have shit loads of cover just because they're available. Call it the McGeouch protocol. If we get rid of Bates and Gallagher then we could get him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Feels weird even thinking about signing Callum Hendry who surely has to have been one of the least inspiring loan signings in our club history

I actually thought it was an alright signing, he clearly had something about him at st Johnstone and McInnes had tried to sign him previously. What was weird was St Johnstone sending him out on loan when he'd done enough at us to suggest he'd be okay in this league. Suggestions that he's going down South anyway.

Always felt Hector was more suited to a def mid role 2bh.  

2bh after cormacks big interview from red TV I'm expecting to see a fair few recruits we have never heard off.  He was very big on talking up the expansion to our European scouting network in that interview.  

Signing Shaun Rooney I can get behind.  Good engine, strong competitor and gets a lot of joy in this league.  Big cunt too which doesn't hurt and we need a rb with Ramsey off. It does hurt he's ooc either. Right now he defo improves our squad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I think we need to stop signing players in positions that we have shit loads of cover just because they're available.

Do we have shitloads of cover at CB? With Devlin & Considine gone and McCrorie earmarked for elsewhere, I wouldn't say we're well covered there at all.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Call it the McGeouch protocol. If we get rid of Bates and Gallagher then we could get him. 

We should sign players who are an improvement on what we have.

Step forward Michael Hector.