Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

I've only watched Liam Scales play once - a 4-0 win over Raith Rovers where he scored a cracking goal and I gave him the man of the match award.

But, a Celtic supporting friend who watches him far more often than I insists "he's slow and pish". 

He actually has a decent goal scoring rate at all the clubs he's played for.

I would say he's worth a chance, and at 23 still has his best years ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

A initial loan deal seems fair enough,see what he's got.Lot of folk greetin' elsewhere,equating the situation with Montgomery

Yep, that the Montgomery situation was an absolute shitshow shouldn't preclude us from loaning a Tim. It's simply a question of learning lessons. The Christie situation suggests that signing a Tim on loan should only be done when a price is agreed for permanent move up front. The Montgomery situation is similar to the pot luck of signing an EPL unproven youngster in that you rarely get anyone ready to make the first team. This guy could be the sweet spot between the two.

• Like 2

Sounds like a Forrester type, always injured and no desire to fight for a place in the team:

And did he show the hunger required of someone desperate to break into the team?

It was something Mowbray had questioned, stating earlier in the season: "He’s a lovely boy and I’ve told him so many times that he has to find personality, some anger and frustration in his belly when he’s not picked."

Box to box midfielder, left footed.

Appears he played well enough when in the team at Blackburn but had no luck with injuries.

One of those "potentially, if fit, could be a player". Bit of a risk but that's the market we're in.

As for him not being hungry enough - could just be Mowbray being an arse. But, not hugely surprising if it is true, a young player repeatedly getting injured when given a chance, hard to remain motivated and keep your spirits up.

Welcome aboard Ylber, hope he fits in and adapts quickly enough. 

Took this from MTK Budapests website, does this mean there were a number of clubs interested in him? From the Scottish, Danish, Polish and Swiss options, our club matched the four-time Scottish champion in accordance with the will of the player.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigAl said:

Bojan Miovski anyone ?

22 year old North Macedonia striker and  full international.

Currently at same club as Ramadani was and appears to have the same agent.

Two and two sometimes equal four 😉

This is starting to scare me now.  Looks like we will be selling the crown jewels in Ramsay and Ferguson and bringing in unknown Macedonians and Albanians.  Sorry but this season has got disaster written all over it.

If I was to say how do you take a well performing football club and turn it into an absolute disaster, it would be everything that Cormack has done since he has come into Aberdeen.  Get rid of the manager who has been successful, appoint a manager with no experience, sell all of the best players...............................

Just waiting to laugh at whoever we are going to sign next after we sell Lewis Ferguson to Rangers for £500,000.

I know that highlight reels can sometimes be deceptive but this boy seems to know the way to goal.

Seems to be a few clubs sniffing around him.

Interesting to know who those clubs are.

If the price was right, then what have we got to lose.

Would you rather have a gamble on this guy @ a couple of hundred grand or a JET/Curtis Main type signing on a free ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Would you rather have a gamble on this guy @ a couple of hundred grand or a JET/Curtis Main type signing on a free ?

I don't think that those are actually the only choices available. Both Jet and Main were unsuccessful SPFL strikers when we signed them, they were just shite signings. The objective should be to reduce the gambling wherever possible. Players with good SPFL experience. That said, there's nobody in the striker department that's setting the heather alight just now (maybe former players Anderson and Hendry). Given that we've got absolutely zero backup in that position (assuming Ramirez is away), then we could be in for another season where we can't make any meaningful changes in a match, or even go two up front. 

I think we need some good SPFL players coming in from other sides. There has to be a balance in our recruitment. I'm sure we'll see that as the weeks go on. 

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think that those are actually the only choices available. Both Jet and Main were unsuccessful SPFL strikers when we signed them, they were just shite signings. The objective should be to reduce the gambling wherever possible. Players with good SPFL experience. That said, there's nobody in the striker department that's setting the heather alight just now (maybe former players Anderson and Hendry). Given that we've got absolutely zero backup in that position (assuming Ramirez is away), then we could be in for another season where we can't make any meaningful changes in a match, or even go two up front. 

I think we need some good SPFL players coming in from other sides. There has to be a balance in our recruitment. I'm sure we'll see that as the weeks go on. 

Don't disagree with a word you typed there Rico, indeed if you check back to page one of this post, I suggested that we should be looking to bring in four or five established SPFL players over the summer but let's not restrict the markets we operate in like the club have been guilty of in the past.

There simply aren't options in the striking department currently in the SPFL that look remotely like the answer to our prayers.  I guess my comparison was in response to the comment regarding selling the crown jewels and replacing them with unknown Albanians & Macedonians.

As you clearly articulated to, there is the necessity for balance.

Lets just hope we can strike it 👍

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I guess my comparison was in response to the comment regarding selling the crown jewels and replacing them with unknown Albanians & Macedonians.

I take your point BigAl, I just don't think foreigners generally work for us at all and we need a core of British/Irish players.  The last few signings from abroad have been a mysterious right back costing a fortune, a yank who has hardly kicked a ball yet, Ramirez who looked great for six months then disappeared and the dutch winger who the jury is still out on.  Even the few foreigners that have been successful over the years never seem to stick around for much longer than a season. So many of these guys either cannot adapt to our style of play in this country or climate, language or whatever.

My last post was pretty ranty.  I just think after so many years of absolute crap we finally got our club back for six or seven years there and now we are heading back to the days of appointing dodgy managers and signing dud players. I'd far prefer we took a punt on a promising player from a Championship club than gambled on some dude from Albania. Hope that does not come across as racist as that is not the intension. 🙄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I take your point BigAl, I just don't think foreigners generally work for us at all and we need a core of British/Irish players.  The last few signings from abroad have been a mysterious right back costing a fortune, a yank who has hardly kicked a ball yet, Ramirez who looked great for six months then disappeared and the dutch winger who the jury is still out on.  Even the few foreigners that have been successful over the years never seem to stick around for much longer than a season. So many of these guys either cannot adapt to our style of play in this country or climate, language or whatever.

My last post was pretty ranty.  I just think after so many years of absolute crap we finally got our club back for six or seven years there and now we are heading back to the days of appointing dodgy managers and signing dud players. I'd far prefer we took a punt on a promising player from a Championship club than gambled on some dude from Albania. Hope that does not come across as racist as that is not the intension. 🙄

Wasn't meaning to have a go mate.

I think we've all now probably bought into the need for balance in the squad 😉

Oh and didn't think your post was in the slightest bit racist.