Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

29 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Yep, it's poor from the club. They are the ones that should be showing understanding and dignity in this given the player's history. Public statements are not cool and it isn't the same thing as the player leaking something. It's crass. We don't know, but the club may have said that they were halving his wages and his agent has said we'll meet you in the middle. It reeks.

Apologies, I've missed the bit in the statement where it states six figure sum. That seems like a decent offer. Either the agent has done a number on his client here, or the club's general salaries are higher than I think they are. It's a  shite way for his time here to end. 

Issuing statements about any dealings with players is embarrassingly small time and shouldn't happen. Other than a tiny wee bit of "it's not us, it's him, honestly", the club gains absolutely nothing from this and it's disappointing that they've gone down this road.

It was the same with the boy from St Mirren who "couldn't handle playing for a club of this size". This kind of stuff reeks of someone taking an overly personal interest in what a bunch of clowns on the internet are speculating and isn't a good sign at all.

Edited by wee toon red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim said:

A statement alleging leaking a confidential meeting is a wee bit embarrassing and very naive to think that telling someone he’s going to be out of a job in 2 months and expect him not to go to his agent to help him find a new job straight after the meeting. If I’m being laid off, I’m not hanging about to wait for a wishy washy statement, I’m going on the offensive immediately so I can pay my mortgage. I’ll bet the counter offer is still less than what he’s on now. And you can’t really guarantee a future coaching gig, just ask Scott Brown. This has been handled very poorly.

His agent would have been at the meeting.

I think it's more that he or his agent may have leaked the news to the media, which is what the club statement appears to suggest.

Also, you being laid off is completely different from him turning down a six-figure salary and a future coaching role.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

All his previous performances suggest he is good enough to challenge for a place in the Dons first team next season - that is the evidence, which I'd say is pretty much irrefutable. You could speculate that he might not be as good as he was prior to injury, but that isn't based on evidence that's just speculation (and given that you believe we should have held onto Brown to play in defence, I'd question your judgement there!). The only question left is whether offering two years is too much, which is what I based my previous argument on (and that still stands).

I would say his performances last season and this season pre-injury suggested he was on the wane. These silly goals we've been losing recently, we were losing plenty of them with Considine in the side as well. 

Him being better than Bates suggests that a one-year deal while a young guy beds in is ideal, but not a two-year deal on the wages he wanted.

As for Brown - no-one, including Andrew Considine's wife and children, love him as much as I do. But Scott Brown at 36 is a better player than Andrew Considine at 35, even in defence. 

50 minutes ago, Panda said:

As for Brown - no-one, including Andrew Considine's wife and children, love him as much as I do. But Scott Brown at 36 is a better player than Andrew Considine at 35, even in defence

I completely disagree with this. Brown was very average at the back for us. He played like a midfielder playing at centre half, he was nowhere near aggressive enough, poor in the air and slightly suspect positionally. That's not a criticism, it's why he's never been a defender. In fact, for someone who loves Considine so much, you're quite forward with the insult here!

50 minutes ago, Panda said:

Him being better than Bates suggests that a one-year deal while a young guy beds in is ideal, but not a two-year deal on the wages he wanted.

Absolutely, the argument I was making was that for the sake of an additional year, we shouldn't have been quibbling and offering him some way towards coaching within that second year. It seems that, according to the club, they were indeed offering that, so I think he's been a little quick to turn it down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

Issuing statements about any dealings with players is embarrassingly small time and shouldn't happen. Other than a tiny wee bit of "it's not us, it's him, honestly", the club gains absolutely nothing from this and it's disappointing that they've gone down this road.

It was the same with the boy from St Mirren who "couldn't handle playing for a club of this size". This kind of stuff reeks of someone taking an overly personal interest in what a bunch of clowns on the internet are speculating and isn't a good sign at all.

Aye, that's it in a nutshell. Considine has done little wrong here it seems. The club aren't walking away from the deal because of a leak, they're simply refusing to negotiate (which they're entitled to of course). This entire statement is just toys out of the pram because they didn't get to break the story on their own terms. It's weak as fuck, and I'd expect better from Goodwin. Just a "the club can confirm that Andy will be leaving the club in the summer..... thanks for your amazing service.... Etc". When you read the supposed leak to the Express, there's pretty much no information in it other than that he's not getting a deal, zero criticism, zero quotes. The club's statement makes it sound like Considine has given an interview with Martin Bashir. It's totally uncalled for. The club must realise that the player isn't leaving the job he's been in for twenty years in the way he'd want to and is probably a bit upset about it. To expect him to come in for a meeting to design the perfect joint statement to the public (on AFC's terms, I would expect) is a little demeaning. The club could have let it go and show some understanding, taking the high ground. It's Hun levels of outrage from the club. Classless as fuck.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I completely disagree with this. Brown was very average at the back for us. He played like a midfielder playing at centre half, he was nowhere near aggressive enough, poor in the air and slightly suspect positionally. That's not a criticism, it's why he's never been a defender.

The reason he was never a defender was because he was a very good midfielder!

He & McCrorie should have swapped places at the start of the season and I will argue this until the end of time.

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

In

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Aye, that's it in a nutshell. Considine has done little wrong here it seems. The club aren't walking away from the deal because of a leak, they're simply refusing to negotiate (which they're entitled to of course). This entire statement is just toys out of the pram because they didn't get to break the story on their own terms. It's weak as fuck, and I'd expect better from Goodwin. Just a "the club can confirm that Andy will be leaving the club in the summer..... thanks for your amazing service.... Etc". When you read the supposed leak to the Express, there's pretty much no information in it other than that he's not getting a deal, zero criticism, zero quotes. The club's statement makes it sound like Considine has given an interview with Martin Bashir. It's totally uncalled for. The club must realise that the player isn't leaving the job he's been in for twenty years in the way he'd want to and is probably a bit upset about it. To expect him to come in for a meeting to design the perfect joint statement to the public (on AFC's terms, I would expect) is a little demeaning. The club could have let it go and show some understanding, taking the high ground. It's Hun levels of outrage from the club. Classless as fuck.

I do agree with this. Although I side with the club on the decision not to offer Considine a longer deal, the statement is an embarrassment.

Goodwin needs to learn that it's not the way things are done in Aberdeen and he shouldn't have put his name anywhere near it, whether it was his idea for the statement or someone else.

On Goodwin, I think there's a bit of respect at the way he has come in and showed he's the boss, but I wonder if he's going a bit too far. Punting Brown without really considering it, throwing Considine out to dry in that statement - a guy who has given most of his life to the club and is a fans favourite. I dunno if there is a "this is what Alex Ferguson would have done" sort of thing going on in his head, but it's a bit bull in a China shop at the moment.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Panda said:

The reason he was never a defender was because he was a very good midfielder!

He & McCrorie should have swapped places at the start of the season and I will argue this until the end of time.

I do agree with this. Although I side with the club on the decision not to offer Considine a longer deal, the statement is an embarrassment.

Goodwin needs to learn that it's not the way things are done in Aberdeen and he shouldn't have put his name anywhere near it, whether it was his idea for the statement or someone else.

On Goodwin, I think there's a bit of respect at the way he has come in and showed he's the boss, but I wonder if he's going a bit too far. Punting Brown without really considering it, throwing Considine out to dry in that statement - a guy who has given most of his life to the club and is a fans favourite. I dunno if there is a "this is what Alex Ferguson would have done" sort of thing going on in his head, but it's a bit bull in a China shop at the moment.

I don’t think the statement had much to do with Goodwin. It doesn’t take too much imagination to link this one with the petty January statement about Jamie McGrath and conclude that it’s the man at the top behind them both.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

I don’t think the statement had much to do with Goodwin. It doesn’t take too much imagination to link this one with the petty January statement about Jamie McGrath and conclude that it’s the man at the top behind them both.

I think a lot of it is Goodwin, who's still young (well, younger than me) in both age and management years. I can imagine it's exactly what he's thinking. The "thrown under the bus" comment is absolutely pathetic, a complete exaggeration. It's almost comedic. It's almost needy (or maybe just as Panda says about being the new Fergie). It's like complaining about your weekend trip to Kyiv being cancelled because it was going to be your first real chance to get away for a few days.

The question is how and why a statement like this was allowed to come out. That does indeed come from the top. Where was the sensible head to take a step back and understand the situation from both sides. To make your feelings known internally, with a statement of understanding and good will for the public viewing. The whole "you're either with us or against us" partisan mentality does seem to be apparent in Cormack. It's very Hunnish. Not an attitude I can really be arsed with. 

This one sits really badly with me, I don't like it at all. The handling of it, I mean, rather than the decision to let the player go.

• Like 2

Absolutely, allowing a statement like that to come from the club is tin pot. An absolute embarrassment from the club. I don't disagree with the decision, unfortunately it sounds like the agent was a cunt, but no party looks good now. Truly shite state of affairs. The way our club is lead from the top really doesn't bring me with pride.

27 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Absolutely, allowing a statement like that to come from the club is tin pot. An absolute embarrassment from the club. I don't disagree with the decision, unfortunately it sounds like the agent was a cunt, but no party looks good now. Truly shite state of affairs. The way our club is lead from the top really doesn't bring me with pride.

I'm not even sure the agent has done much wrong looking at the evidence presented by the club. The leak is such a minor part of the incident, and I'm not convinced that the agent will be acting without instruction from Considine in terms of the negotiation. Considine is an intelligent guy, I'm guessing if an agent was acting without his best intentions he'd have sorted it.

• Like 1

That’s true, I’m just embarrassed for all parties. It’s shite and not the way a person of his calibre deserves his career to end (with the club). Club doing a good job of alienating some fans this season. Regardless, yet another huge transfer window coming up. Please don’t fuck it up for once. 

• Like 1

This is all just a fucking soap opera at the minute. Cormack calling out the boy on twitter in January and now this. Mind, in the early McInnes days, when the first we knew of a signing was when the official club statement came out. Airing our business is, as has been said, pretty hunnish. If I had to guess we probably weren't too far away maybe Considine wanted two years and a second testimonial, and that's what prompted the leak? But who cares! The reaction from the club is pretty poor. Definitely not what was needed a few days before a potentially season defining game, a season that has fractured the relationship between fans and club. 

At least Considine offered a bit of stability next season in what is bound to be a massive turnover of playing personnel combined with whatever is left of this seasons flaky squad. 6 figures is just short of £2k p/w? He's likely to have been on close to double that considering his  length of service.

We've lost Brown, Hedges, McGinn since the turn of the year. Ramirez looks to be on his way, Ferguson will be gone too both bringing in fees you'd have thought maybe even Ramsey. McGeouch, Ojo wont be renewed. All, bar Ramsey, will be high earners. You've got to imagine the club will be making attempts to move Lewis and Jet on, another two of our high earners along with a number of others. 

I've seen suggested (if I remember correctly) that Lewis, Woods, McLennan, Kennedy, Campbell and JET have all been told the club won't stand in their way, if they can get a contract elsewhere. May just be some virgin getting over excited though. 

This potentially leave us with Gallagher, Bates, McCrorie, Hayes and Watkins as our most experienced players and spine of the team. Supplemented by the likes of Barron, MacKenzie and Vincente as young players with 1st team experience and Duncan and Ngwenya to join them. 

Not sure whether to be excited by the prospect of a whole new team or daunted by the type of shite we're likely to end up with?

On 06/04/2022 at 09:11, wee toon red said:

By the sounds of things a proper clearout is under way.

Lewis, Woods, JET, Campbell, McLennan all allowed to find new clubs, McGeouch, Ojo and Consi not getting renewals.

Sorry to see Considine go.  We have lost so much invaluable experience these last 12 months with Logan, McGinn, Brown and Considine going.  

On wee toon red's comment above - has anyone actually come out and said any of these players are not getting new contracts (Considine aside) or is everyone getting a little bit excited about rumours?  Also, where is the idea that Ramirez and Ferguson will be sold coming from, haven't heard anyone at the club say that?

48 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Sorry to see Considine go.  We have lost so much invaluable experience these last 12 months with Logan, McGinn, Brown and Considine going.  

On wee toon red's comment above - has anyone actually come out and said any of these players are not getting new contracts (Considine aside) or is everyone getting a little bit excited about rumours?  Also, where is the idea that Ramirez and Ferguson will be sold coming from, haven't heard anyone at the club say that?

Been rumours on social media for last month Ramirez has interest back in the states and in English Championship. Then the stuff last week with Hayes' wife posting about how their daughters will miss each other. 

Ferguson needs to go this summer if we are to maximise value for a player who stated he didn't want to be here last year (albeit through his daddy and his agent). 

I'd be staggered if Ferguson isn't away in the summer. He's had a good season and started for Scotland. The only thing I'm not sure about is his valuation. He is a really good SPFL player with some great attributes, but he is also missing some of the fundamentals to his game. For instance, I think he's only had one assist this season and whilst he seems to be spotting more runs these days his execution of the final pass is lacking, and he almost never releases the pass quick enough either. Those same things could be levelled at Ryan Jack too I suppose, it's just that Jack was never expected to do those things for Aberdeen. I think Ferguson is probably only beginning to realise his potential though and I expect him to raise himself to the challenges that will face him at a bigger team if he takes the risk of moving (the alternative being the easy signing for the Huns). I just don't know if enough teams will register an interest to raise his value. If we were offered £3M, I'd take it. Not sure we will be though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

E.E reporting JET'S contract brings terminated. Not really a huge surprise.

Totally bizarre signing in first instance and ultimately costly given we waived the fee we were due for Anderson 😒

Good decision. In fairness, I don't think we'd have actually got money for Anderson given the trajectory he was on, and he wasn't likely to get many minutes for us, so I think he'd have been free to look for another club this season anyway. Jet signing for us is no worse than St Mirren signing Main. It's the type of signing that you'd like to think a head of recruitment could have a power of veto over because of actual stats and shit. Jet is a signing McInnes would have made too, and from everything we've seen so far of Goodwin, I think he would too. He's already stated several times that he likes Matty Kennedy as a player and is someone he wanted to sign previously. There's obviously an element of him trying to build confidence in the player, but there also seems to be an element of tunnel vision too, as the stats will likely show that Kennedy has been pap since joining the Dons (bar maybe a run of 3-4 games at wing back once). I'm really hoping that the club are identifying the targets and the recruitment team have the authority to challenge the manager on his suggested players. We can't have pish like Jet, Main and Kennedy being signed on the basis of a couple of good games the manager has happened to see.

Lewis, considine, McGeouch, ojo, McLennan, Campbell, woods, ruth, Kennedy have been told they can find new clubs.

Ramirez wanting back to the states. JET and Devlin out the door already.

Jenks and Montgomery won't be renewed.

Ferguson will be away.