Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Got to get younger players in the door.  Someone said the other day we have practically the oldest squad in the league.  This season we have recruited far too many players who are either past their peak or pushing 30 and have never reached a peak in the first place.  We need to get back to bringing in hungry players in their early 20s like we did with McLean, Christie and the like, guys who are striving to move up the ladder.

2 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Got to get younger players in the door.  Someone said the other day we have practically the oldest squad in the league.  This season we have recruited far too many players who are either past their peak or pushing 30 and have never reached a peak in the first place.  We need to get back to bringing in hungry players in their early 20s like we did with McLean, Christie and the like, guys who are striving to move up the ladder.

Cormack said Goodwin wants to play a high tempo pressing game and so needs a younger squad to be able to implement it. 

3 hours ago, wee toon red said:

"Football Insider" claiming Leeds have been given permission to talk to Ramsay. I don't think Football Insider is much of a source so it's highly likely to be nonsense but, should they stay up this season, Leeds would probably be the right kind of move for the boy.

Timing would be bizarre in the extreme.

Surely to fuck, we'd secure our league place prior to letting the boy speak to anyone.

An unwelcome distraction IF true 

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Brendan Hamilton from Glentoran

Teenage left back

Doesn't turn sixteen until mid May

Seen that, was at the Algarve tournament and been over a few times. Seems to have been over at Brighton too, and was a hun for a while, despite appearing to be a tim supporter. Looks big for 15. 

1 hour ago, baggy89 said:

Seen that, was at the Algarve tournament and been over a few times. Seems to have been over at Brighton too, and was a hun for a while, despite appearing to be a tim supporter. Looks big for 15. 

Yeah saw the YouTube video and agree a big lad for his age.

Looks like he has a sweet left foot.

7 hours ago, BigAl said:

I'm pretty non plussed by that Slim

Still a long way from believing he is any better than Lewis with a competent defence in front of him

My feeling is the hunt for a keeper is because lewis has said he wants to go at the end of the season.. Glass was looking at Clarke and given his career trajectory he's not someone who would be signing for a club as a no 2.  Same with Alnwick. In short, I think we need a new keeper. He's had a rocky few seasons by his own standards but Lewis is still in the top 3-4 in the league so not an easy replace. 

Assuming Lewis, Ramsey and fergie all go, and personally I would be be surprised if 1 was here come next season, it's some rebuild we have to do this summer.  Can anyone remember the last time we had such a turnover? 

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Eddie Turnbull days TLG.

Sure he punted sixteen in one go 

Could you imagine a manager getting five years to turn it around in today's game! Including a 15th and 8th (out of 18) position finish. Goodwin will be lucky to get to the summer holidays at current rate.

We do really have to expect another poor year next season though. There's no way our recruitment guy is that good. Luckily Goodwin has said that he will have most of our recruitment done by pre-season though...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Think the signs were good early on with Turnbull though. Season after he joined, we got to the LC semi final and SC final. 

The early sixties pre Turnbull we were going nowhere fast

Exactly. It's important to remember, too, that we're only halfway through our 50 year plan to bring league success back to pittodrie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Nae sure this link will work,but apparently Liverpool and Ramsay have agreed terms,clubs negotiating a fee. Seen on a Liverpool site called 'Kop 

Heard this earlier mate.

Apparently the source has around 100 followers allegedly.

I will let you draw your own conclusions ftom that 😉

If these rumours are true, it is an interesting debate as to whether Ramsay should go to Anfield and become Trent's understudy.  TAA has played 41 times this season, been injured/corona for 4 and been left out of 11 other games.

If you are Ramsay, would you rather stay at the Dons, play 40 games a season and potentially push your way into the Scotland squad?  Remember the World Cup is in December so if he pulls his finger out he could potentially be there.

or................take the coin, leave for Anfield and play 15 games next season in the early rounds of their cups and the meaningless games at the end of the Champions League group stages.  I think he would more than likely up being loaned out the following season and sold on to Burnley or Swansea a couple of years down the line.  Very tough to turn down Liverpool if the chance came along though.

🤔

8 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

If these rumours are true, it is an interesting debate as to whether Ramsay should go to Anfield and become Trent's understudy.  TAA has played 41 times this season, been injured/corona for 4 and been left out of 11 other games.

If you are Ramsay, would you rather stay at the Dons, play 40 games a season and potentially push your way into the Scotland squad?  Remember the World Cup is in December so if he pulls his finger out he could potentially be there.

or................take the coin, leave for Anfield and play 15 games next season in the early rounds of their cups and the meaningless games at the end of the Champions League group stages.  I think he would more than likely up being loaned out the following season and sold on to Burnley or Swansea a couple of years down the line.  Very tough to turn down Liverpool if the chance came along though.

🤔

It certainly is a conundrum. There are so many competing interests at play too. For me, he should be looking at Hickey's success at Bologna as a template. However, the issue will be one of cost, and I simply don't think a Bologna or the like will be able to afford him if there is any genuine interest from Liverpool. In that regard, what's best for him isn't necessarily what's best for AFC (we want the most money). That said, it depends how AFC view Ramsay. Is he a once in 30 year enigma, or is he the level of player we aim to churn out every few years? If it's the former, then we should take the long term view and accept less money now in the hope of more money later from a sell-on. That would send out the best message to players and other clubs that we are serious about developing the best. If he's a one-off (I think so) then we look to gain as much money now, and sell to the highest bidder.

From Ramsay's perspective, it's a question of what he has to gain from being at Liverpool. If he's not getting a game, then he has to gain significantly from the training regime and training with better players. However, if he's immediately shipped out on loan then I'm guessing that there's little benefit derived for the player from the parent club. We've seen it hundreds of times in this country, where the big two snap up all the talent in the hope that they get the one that returns success. It's a pretty rancid business model, that doesn't put the player first and increases the inequality in the game. If they put a clear plan for him in place, I'm guessing he could weigh it up.

As for staying at the dons, I don't really see it as beneficial for either party (unless he's loaned back to us). Next season is going to be another year of transition, with a lot of hit and miss on the transfer side of things. We're really not a stable, confident, club that can offer Ramsay a solid base to grow. Our defence is a shambles, and we'll likely have a new keeper. Midfield and up front will be renewed completely. There's really only Hayes that you'd class as a positive, professional, experienced role model (McRorie has that without the experience). Liverpool are interested in Ramsay because he has the ability to get there if things work out for him. I don't see us having the resources in place at the moment that will get him there unfortunately. I don't think Barron is at Ramsay's level of potential, and so we could definitely offer him the base to move on in a similar path to that of Kenny McLean or Scott McKenna. Ramsay's ceiling is way higher in my opinion (obviously, I shouldn't need to say it, there's a huge gap from current to potential player).

Take the money and run.

• Like 2