Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I'm guessing it's either that or an agent trying to get his player a pay rise. He's a left sided defender, which is an area where we struggle depending on Considine, so might be okay as a cheap addition to the squad.

Can't think of many other St Mirren players we'd be looking at other than Ronan. Maybe Tanser, who's always looked fairly solid and dependable anytime I've seen him. Kiltie any good?

Jordan Jones 😉

Seriously though, possibly Jay Henderson as a squad player to develop. Aged 19, right sided midfielder and a Scotland U19 International. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Yep, impossible to argue with this.  I didn't mind giving him a bit of time as he defo looked a player when he first came into the team but its just getting fucking ridiculous now. 

39 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Yep, impossible to argue with this.  I didn't mind giving him a bit of time as he defo looked a player when he first came into the team but its just getting fucking ridiculous now. 

He's very good in the co-commentary on red TV. On that basis, I'd give him another year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Daily record (🙄) saying McGeouch and Ojo not getting new deals.

McGeouch was only really signed in the first place because Ojo was pish, so it's fitting that they both leave at the same time. Glass would likely have given Ojo another three years. Both average players that should be easy to replace. It leaves the squad a little light of course (assuming Ferguson leaves), but it's probably a risk worth taking. With the wages those two are on, we should be able to try and get somebody better, with the caveat that if they aren't better they probably won't be any worse. Barron's success has really eased the decision making for us in getting rid of these two, Goodwin has been very fortunate in the timing of his development.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

McGeouch was only really signed in the first place because Ojo was pish, so it's fitting that they both leave at the same time. Glass would likely have given Ojo another three years. Both average players that should be easy to replace. It leaves the squad a little light of course (assuming Ferguson leaves), but it's probably a risk worth taking. With the wages those two are on, we should be able to try and get somebody better, with the caveat that if they aren't better they probably won't be any worse. Barron's success has really eased the decision making for us in getting rid of these two, Goodwin has been very fortunate in the timing of his development.

Bit harsh on McGeouch as when he has played he looked a good player. However he has never managed a run of games without getting injured so no problem with him being released. Ojo is pish and for wages he is allegedly on I am sure we will get a better replacement. 

• Like 1

Ojo leaving is honestly up there with winning a cup. 

Couldn't pass, couldn't shoot, couldn't tackle, couldn't win headers, was constantly caught out of position, had this weird ability to only be able to run in a straight line with the ball which often led to him actually running out of play.

Guarantee he goes to England's League One, the fans of his new club love him, hitting home once again that we should stop labelling the Scottish Premiership as League One standard.

McGeouch is actually joint fourth best for assists in the squad this season, despite playing less minutes than most.

Only Montgomery has a higher passing accuracy (which considering Montgomery hasn't played a full 90 mins yet kinda counts him out), and only Hedges, Ramsay & Campbell have created more chances per 90 minutes.

He's actually a very effective player and if we could get a run of games out of him he could be important for us. 

I hope Goodwin isn't clearing the decks too much without having players to bring in. It's all well and good getting players out the door but if you spend the summer getting knocked back for all your first choices then you're not necessarily going to improve the side.

I'd argue we were too hasty in punting Brown. I'd be playing him in defence on Saturday ahead of Gallagher or Bates.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1

Considine leaving in the summer according to a number of reports. 

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/andrew-considine-leave-aberdeen-summer-26642930

If all the departures that are being rumoured are true then Goodwin is going to have a very busy summer. Big risk emptying all the experienced players from the squad at the same time as we have seen before. 

2 hours ago, Jute said:

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/andrew-considine-leave-aberdeen-summer-26642930

If all the departures that are being rumoured are true then Goodwin is going to have a very busy summer. Big risk emptying all the experienced players from the squad at the same time as we have seen before. 

Head, possibly the right move re: Consi, but heart definitely thinks he deserved to stay and finish his career at his boyhood club. I don't doubt he'd have hung up his boots if he didn't think he was able to contribute. Huge risk losing his experience, certainly don't trust what is left behind anyway.

Ramirez going would be frustrating. He's clearly a poacher but has had fuck all service for months. Probably was very close to Glass, but not much we can do about that.

McGeouch is a frustrating one. Clearly a player there, we just don't see it often enough because he get's a knock. I'd still be tempted to keep him, unless they've got big plans that they're confident on. Certainly can't be having another transfer window like the last (even ignoring the shite three or four we've had prior to that).

• Like 1

By the sounds of things a proper clearout is under way.

Lewis, Woods, JET, Campbell, McLennan all allowed to find new clubs, McGeouch, Ojo and Consi not getting renewals.

Really not fussed about most of that lot, although I hope Dean Campbell goes on to prove Goodwin wrong as there looked to be a player in there when he first broke through, and I'm kinda sad about Consi but I'm not sure if that's just sentimentality.

Big call getting rid of so many, if Goodwin doesn't already have improvements lined up then literally anything could happen this summer, good or bad.

2 hours ago, Jute said:

The notion that we'll get a more committed, intelligent and good left sided defender - on top of all the other vital signings needed in the summer - to challenge for a place in the first team is ridiculous. I'd have him in the current team ahead of both Bates (who still can't take the ball properly on his wrong side) and McKenzie. He's not ancient for a centre back and keeps himself fit. He's not injury prone, with both his injuries being severe "one off" type injuries, so can generally be relied on to be available too. At best this is a naive decision, at worst a fucking honking one.

• Like 5

Has the Considine release actually been confirmed yet ?

Disappointed for him if true.

Potentially a very very bold move by Goodwin and one that has the possibility to backfire massively on him.

Like others have alluded to think the Glass scenario probably has a baring on Ramirez looking to return to the States. Trust we would be looking for a fee for him ?

The rest I think are all replaceable. More than a little disappointed in Campbell as always thought there was a player in there. Although he doesn't seem to have set the heather alight at Killie, he might be one of that requires to take a step back to take teo forward.

Hopefully Atlanta give us a couple of mill for Ramirez if he is going to leave. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s thinking of a last push to get to the World Cup as he’s a bit off the radar here. Doesn’t look like his career crossed paths with Glass so doubt he’d be too attached to someone he’d known for about 6 months.

Punting Considine should be off the table completely, it makes zero sense if he’s fit enough to continue. A model professional who can play in a position that can be very difficult to fill. 

• Like 2

With Considine is it not a case of he was offered a one-year deal but he wants two years? That would take him up to the age of 37. 

I'm with Goodwin on this one. I don't think we get two good years out of Considine, who is already past his best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panda said:

With Considine is it not a case of he was offered a one-year deal but he wants two years? That would take him up to the age of 37. 

I'm with Goodwin on this one. I don't think we get two good years out of Considine, who is already past his best.

If that's the case I understand not offering two years. He won't get two years anywhere at his age and coming back from that type of injury. That said I don't think we should be taking the offer of 1 year off the table unless we have someone lined up who can replace him and we need the budget to bring them in. Maybe this is the case but it does seem early at this point.

36 minutes ago, Panda said:

We've just given Devlin a year to sit on the bench, of course we can give Considine a two year deal. Does anyone really think Considine will hold the dons to ransom at the end of the first year if he's barely kicked a ball? I doubt it very much. I'm sure we could even write something into the contract. I'd be more than happy for Considine to receive a nominal pay off at the end of next season or to spend a year as part of the coaching team if that was of interest to him. He's our fourth most represented player and has risen his game to the level of the team (and more) throughout his career at the dons. He's seen off 90% of those centre backs brought in to replace him through hard work and consistency. We pish away money on all sorts of shite every single season, so it seems ludicrous that we couldn't extend some of that towards a fantastic club servant. I'm sure the tired clichés about "no room for sentimentality" will get thrown back at this suggestion, but football is sentimentality, it is about feeling and loyalty. Considine exudes that, and two years is not unreasonable in that context. He should be treated as a special case, because he is.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2022/04/06/andy-considine-update/

Goodwin here saying Considine was offered a six-figure sum and a future coaching role, he wanted another 50% in wages and a two-year deal.

Club have made the right move in my opinion.

In response to Rico's post, his previous performances are irrelevant. It's about what he can offer for the next 12-24 months. You can't honestly argue we can't get younger and better out there.

A statement alleging leaking a confidential meeting is a wee bit embarrassing and very naive to think that telling someone he’s going to be out of a job in 2 months and expect him not to go to his agent to help him find a new job straight after the meeting. If I’m being laid off, I’m not hanging about to wait for a wishy washy statement, I’m going on the offensive immediately so I can pay my mortgage. I’ll bet the counter offer is still less than what he’s on now. And you can’t really guarantee a future coaching gig, just ask Scott Brown. This has been handled very poorly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Panda said:

https://www.afc.co.uk/2022/04/06/andy-considine-update/

Goodwin here saying Considine was offered a six-figure sum and a future coaching role, he wanted another 50% in wages and a two-year deal.

Club have made the right move in my opinion.

Well, aye, that changes things! Although, it is important to note that Considine isn't asking for a 50% increase in wages, just that 50% more than what the dons are offering. In reality what he's likely to be asking for here is less of a pay cut, and I hope he in turn makes this very clear. It's a well worded statement by Goodwin, but I feel it is just as underhanded as the leak by Considine's agent, and neither come out looking particularly good.

33 minutes ago, Panda said:

In response to Rico's post, his previous performances are irrelevant. It's about what he can offer for the next 12-24 months.

Of course previous performances aren't irrelevant, that's ridiculous, that's what every single player is signed on (apart from Mikey Devlin who has yet to play actual football). All his previous performances suggest he is good enough to challenge for a place in the Dons first team next season - that is the evidence, which I'd say is pretty much irrefutable. You could speculate that he might not be as good as he was prior to injury, but that isn't based on evidence that's just speculation (and given that you believe we should have held onto Brown to play in defence, I'd question your judgement there!). The only question left is whether offering two years is too much, which is what I based my previous argument on (and that still stands).

40 minutes ago, Panda said:

You can't honestly argue we can't get younger and better out there

I could, and would. We already have younger and worse in our squad in the form of Bates (playing on the left) and McKenzie. As I said previously, 90% of the replacements over the years have ended up being worse than Considine and unless something has significantly changed, I'd expect that to continue. I'd say Charles Dunne would fall into the worse than Considine category for example. We replaced Logan with the infinitely worse Jack Gurr last season, and I see no evidence that we'll manage to do better than Considine based on our recruitment over the last decade. Our defence has been honking since he got injured this season and unless we're going to replace either Bates or Gallagher the new centre back is coming an as squad filler, and I'd say that's definitely where you'd want "better the devil you know".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slim said:

A statement alleging leaking a confidential meeting is a wee bit embarrassing and very naive to think that telling someone he’s going to be out of a job in 2 months and expect him not to go to his agent to help him find a new job straight after the meeting. If I’m being laid off, I’m not hanging about to wait for a wishy washy statement, I’m going on the offensive immediately so I can pay my mortgage. I’ll bet the counter offer is still less than what he’s on now. And you can’t really guarantee a future coaching gig, just ask Scott Brown. This has been handled very poorly.

Yep, it's poor from the club. They are the ones that should be showing understanding and dignity in this given the player's history. Public statements are not cool and it isn't the same thing as the player leaking something. It's crass. We don't know, but the club may have said that they were halving his wages and his agent has said we'll meet you in the middle. It reeks.