Montgomery 

Devlin

Probably out the door are

Lewis

Ramirez

Ferguson

Rumoured to be leaving but who knows 

Maclennan

Campbell (though Goodwin hasn't seen him train yet so I think this is nonsense at the mo) 

Gallagher (would be surprised myself if he left) 

Ramsey (not sure about this one, he's massively dipped in form but the potential is clearly there) 

Mackenzie

Woods

Most likely to still be here next season

Vinny

Mcrorie 

Watkins

Barron

Hayes

Kennedy

Bates (still two years left on his deal, he's going nowhere unless someone is prepared to take him from us) 

Polvara

Obviously, this is going to be a very busy window for the club.  It's never ideal to have such a big turnover but on occasion you can be left with little choice like we are.  Could be a really tricky start to next season for us too like County had this season after their huge turnover in the summer.   On the flip side though it does make it much easier for the manager to put his own stamp on the team and clear away the remnants of the last two regimes which still linger heavily. 

54 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I'd like to think we're ahead of others in terms of recruitment given the numbers leaving.

Unfortunately I don't think I would be right in thinking that way 😕

I don't think it really matters who's first. I didn't hear him say it either, but someone said that Goodwin had stated that we were going to sign some very good players in the summer. This seems a little naive unless we've got watertight guarantees that players are coming. The players have all got the upper hand (if they're any good), and they'll take as long as they need to weigh up potential offers from other clubs, resulting in several of our good signings actually going elsewhere. It's very unlikely that we won't be scrambling around at the end of August like always as that's the way the window is designed.

• Like 1

Heres what Goodwin said re new players - "

Goodwin said: “I have been brought in here to make some difficult decisions.
“I asked for that bit of autonomy when I took the job as manager. I want to be allowed to make those decisions.
“Only time will tell whether they are the right ones, but we have identified some very good players.
“We are talking to a lot of good players at the moment, to try and strengthen the squad for next season.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think it really matters who's first. I didn't hear him say it either, but someone said that Goodwin had stated that we were going to sign some very good players in the summer. This seems a little naive unless we've got watertight guarantees that players are coming. The players have all got the upper hand (if they're any good), and they'll take as long as they need to weigh up potential offers from other clubs, resulting in several of our good signings actually going elsewhere. It's very unlikely that we won't be scrambling around at the end of August like always as that's the way the window is designed.

My phrase actually doesn't come across the way I really meant it Rico.

What I did however mean is that I hope we have some concrete signings/plans in situ given how early we are in binning the dross.

• Like 1

Talking to very good players and signing them is very different. Anyone that is a very good player for us will also be able to play in the championship or EPL (most likely too good for us.) Add Hearts for example and the offer of living in Edinburgh and European football, recruitment is tough. English options will most likely offer a better wage, plus we can't say we are the 3rd best team in Scotland and offering Euro footie.

As has been mentioned, most of these players will wait for the best offer, very few come to us because Aberdeen was always the team they wanted to play for. Summer is going to be a bit of a shit show me thinks...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Heres what Goodwin said re new players - "

Goodwin said: “I have been brought in here to make some difficult decisions.
“I asked for that bit of autonomy when I took the job as manager. I want to be allowed to make those decisions.
“Only time will tell whether they are the right ones, but we have identified some very good players.
“We are talking to a lot of good players at the moment, to try and strengthen the squad for next season.

I think it'd be useful to have some clarity from the club over what this means. He certainly should have autonomy over which players to ditch, but I really hope we're not giving complete transfer autonomy to the man who signed Curtis Main.

13 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Vaclav Hdlaky anyone ?

Possibly just cheap journalism 

I'm firmly of the belief that you should never get a goalkeeper that's smaller than your previous one. You should look to get one that's incrementally larger until such time that the goals are completely filled.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Vaclav Hdlaky anyone ?

Possibly just cheap journalism 

Cannot get a game for a mid table league one side in England. Would like to think we are looking at a higher standard than that. Also would argue keeper is least of our issues. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jute said:

Cannot get a game for a mid table league one side in England. Would like to think we are looking at a higher standard than that. Also would argue keeper is least of our issues. 

If the intent to replace the goalie is being instigated by Lewis then I think it's fair enough to replace him. If we're replacing him because we don't think he's good enough then I'd be questioning Goodwin. Peak Joe Lewis was the best goalie in the league, peak Hladky was earning a place on the Salford bench. The two are incomparable, not even close. 

One of the avenues that we're forced to go down at AFC is taking players in that have are perhaps going through a stale part of their career and rekindling any potential they might have had. I see zero reason why that shouldn't apply to players already at the club, and especially under a new manager. I mean, we've heard Goodwin on numerous occasions talking up Matty Kennedy in that regard, who hasn't had a tenth of the career of Lewis. It's clearly confirmation bias because he's tried to sign him in the past, and it's where we need experienced people in the club raising questions to that effect. Why is Kennedy deemed salvageable whilst Lewis is too much work? Both should easily have another 3-4 good years in them before getting to the tough calls you might make with Considine or Brown. Lewis is a good goalie that needs good management and a good defence in front of him.

I wouldn't have a problem with Hladky if he's back up to Lewis. The only reason I could see us looking to offload Lewis is if we are trying to free up his wages. Like others have said he's not had the best season but I don't see why he can't recapture his form. 

• Like 1

Holy fuck why do our support keep hanging on to lewis as if he's still the same player as 3 years ago! He's NOT! Let it go!! His stats over last 2 seasons has him in the bottom 6 keepers in this diddy league. Hladky was number 1 at Salford and he's number 2 tae the best goalie in leauge 1 at Ipswich! Look back at Lewis's fuck ups this season he's probably cost us abt 9-11 points. He's also nearly 35 ffs and don't list Craig Gordon's age as he's a tottaly different animal to Joe & 10x times a better goalie.

6 hours ago, The D.O.C.1903 said:

Holy fuck why do our support keep hanging on to lewis as if he's still the same player as 3 years ago! He's NOT! Let it go!! His stats over last 2 seasons has him in the bottom 6 keepers in this diddy league. Hladky was number 1 at Salford and he's number 2 tae the best goalie in leauge 1 at Ipswich! Look back at Lewis's fuck ups this season he's probably cost us abt 9-11 points. He's also nearly 35 ffs and don't list Craig Gordon's age as he's a tottaly different animal to Joe & 10x times a better goalie.

I'm sure your memory is better that mine (old git that I am) so which games has he cost as points - not disputing your opinion of Lewis, by the way, just think that their are other priorities to be sorted first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dons8321 said:

I'm sure your memory is better that mine (old git that I am) so which games has he cost as points - not disputing your opinion of Lewis, by the way, just think that their are other priorities to be sorted first.

I'm sure your nae that auld,  Anyway aff top of my head i'd say dundee twice & St mirren & Mwell but if i could be bothered checking the fact he was dropped after dundee game in was it sep/Oct?  was the culmination of Joe losing us about 5 points up until he was dropped the following games v celtic .

And since he came back I'd say he's lost us points at dundee again.  

Looks like Kennedy will be staying going by Goodwin's comments.

I've seen that little of him I can't really say if he could still potentially be a good player for us or not.

Goodwin used to play a three-man defence at St Mirren (although he had more success when he switched it to a back four) and I wonder if he'll do it next season once he brings in more defenders. It would actually suit Gallagher who tends to play better in a three. You could see Goodwin pinpointing Kennedy & Hayes as wing backs.

Vladky

Dunne Gallagher Bates

Kennedy McCrorie Barron Hayes

Vicente Ibrahimovic Watkins

There's the team to play Cove Rangers in the Granite City derby in the opening League Cup fixture. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Looks like Kennedy will be staying going by Goodwin's comments.

I've seen that little of him I can't really say if he could still potentially be a good player for us or not.

Goodwin used to play a three-man defence at St Mirren (although he had more success when he switched it to a back four) and I wonder if he'll do it next season once he brings in more defenders. It would actually suit Gallagher who tends to play better in a three. You could see Goodwin pinpointing Kennedy & Hayes as wing backs.

Vladky

Dunne Gallagher Bates

Kennedy McCrorie Barron Hayes

Vicente Ibrahimovic Watkins

There's the team to play Cove Rangers in the Granite City derby in the opening League Cup fixture. 

If we're spending another season with Bates playing on his wrong foot (especially as Dunne is left footed I think), then I'm throwing my season ticket in the sea.

Edit: which is frustrating, as it's on my phone.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 2

Just to throw in a wee grenade here.

Aiden McGeady?

Out of contract in summer. Has just turned 36, hasn't played since November due to injury, but may still have a wee trick in him. From what I've heard wages wouldn't be an issue. Might be decent squad filler?

I'll leave it with yous.

Edited by Panda

5 hours ago, Panda said:

Just to throw in a wee grenade here.

Aiden McGeady?

Out of contract in summer. Has just turned 36, hasn't played since November due to injury, but may still have a wee trick in him. From what I've heard wages wouldn't be an issue. Might be decent squad filler?

I'll leave it with yous.

Saw McGeady play for Sunderland at start of the season and he was poor in both games. Legs looked gone so a no from me.

41 minutes ago, Slim said:

Graeme Shinnie isn’t getting much game time at Wigan, taken off at half time in the last (rare) game he started. They only paid £30k for him, wouldn’t be surprised if he’s available on the cheap.

Shinnie came off the bench at Wigan game I was at and improved their midfield so surprised to see he is not getting game time. Think wages might be the big stumbling block in trying to get him back.