Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Well there's no Christian Ramirez thread on here, so it's probably not worth starting one. He's gone home to the US to "recharge his batteries" apparently. Who the fuck does that with 6 days left of the season? I'm guessing he won't be back. A shame in many ways, but we can't afford him for another season if he can't be relied upon when things aren't going well. So close to being ace.

Luke Turner: The whole thing seems bizarre. Do we even get a development fee for him - I was under the impression we need to have offered him a contract first.

Now, he may be another Zander Diamond or the highly rated Irish guy who left us for Kilmarnock because he was homesick, and he's so memorable I can't even remember his name (edit: it annoyed me so I checked - Ryan O'Leary). 

But, just seems odd.

The whole "the coaches have been watching him..." thing, let's not be naive and think all our coaches are the absolute best at what they do and rarely make mistakes. I think it's absolutely possible they can make bad judgement calls on a regular basis. Time will tell if this is one of them.

Christian Ramirez: Ach, let him go home. The two remaining games mean little, he's been playing pretty much non-stop since the MLS season, his family are back there, we've only got a short break until pre-season. And if we do want him to stay next year (I'd suggest he'll be tough to replace) then keeping him happy ain't a bad idea.

It also gives us a chance to try a few things out. I wonder if Goodwin sees Watkins playing a more central role next season. I also noticed Besuijen was playing more centrally at times on Saturday. 

Shame with Ramirez, really had high hopes from him and he was a bright light at times, during what was an awful season. Can’t see him returning unless he gets assurances he’ll get the service he needed to build his confidence back. Even that’s a stretch. Keep seeing people say we’ll be able to get two good players for his wage. Not disagreeing but interested to hear who. 

11 hours ago, Slim said:

I don’t know about that, I’d be more of the opinion that if you send a young player out on loan with the objective of making an impact and he ends up winning an award for the best young player in the entire country while winning silverware with his team, he would automatically deserve at least a year extension to see if your preconceptions about him may have been wrong or if he’s a delayed bloomer. Especially if his position is exactly the same as one we’re desperate to fill. 

I would go so far as saying giving him a modest extension would be a lower risk than any other signing we will make this summer.

Perhaps the boy isn't interested in a modest extension though. 

“We’ve spoken to Luke and his representatives," Goodwin told The Press And Journal. "We believe it’s probably in Luke’s best interests because of the players we’ve got coming through.

“Luke has had a really good loan period over in Northern Ireland and has done particularly well. However, we just believe it’s a little bit short for what we’re looking at in that area.

“We’ve got another one or two good young centre-backs coming through the system and you’re always wary of blocking that pathway.

“It would have been easy to give the young man another year or two and do the same again with him next year. But we felt it was right just to give him the opportunity to go and find something a bit more permanent somewhere else.

“These decisions have to be made. In hindsight, you hope to be proved that they’re the right ones.”

Doesn’t really seem to clarify anything really, have we had any of these young central defenders on the bench in recent weeks? 

8 minutes ago, DixieNormous said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned in here, but apparently Jenks is off early as well, so he won't be here the final 2 games. I know he's not really featured anyway, just thought I'd add it to the thread. 

Fuck sake, we really needed him to be punching one in again tonight.

55 minutes ago, DixieNormous said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned in here, but apparently Jenks is off early as well, so he won't be here the final 2 games. I know he's not really featured anyway, just thought I'd add it to the thread. 

Goodwin confirmed it in his press conference yesterday. 

https://www.afc.co.uk/preview/match-preview-st-johnstone-v-aberdeen-6/#match-preview

3 hours ago, Slim said:

“We’ve spoken to Luke and his representatives," Goodwin told The Press And Journal. "We believe it’s probably in Luke’s best interests because of the players we’ve got coming through.

“Luke has had a really good loan period over in Northern Ireland and has done particularly well. However, we just believe it’s a little bit short for what we’re looking at in that area.

“We’ve got another one or two good young centre-backs coming through the system and you’re always wary of blocking that pathway.

“It would have been easy to give the young man another year or two and do the same again with him next year. But we felt it was right just to give him the opportunity to go and find something a bit more permanent somewhere else.

“These decisions have to be made. In hindsight, you hope to be proved that they’re the right ones.”

Doesn’t really seem to clarify anything really, have we had any of these young central defenders on the bench in recent weeks? 

Assuming he is referring to Towler and Hancock they were both on loan at Elgin and Stirling respectively so not able to play. 

Worrying that Lewis Ferguson isn't being linked with anyone. I would like him gone nice and early so we can plan without him, and also a bit of a transfer auction would have been nice too to bump the price up.

Instead can see him still here in pre-season, wanting away, being unhappy, taking long range shots any time the ball comes to him, and finally leaving for a nominal fee at the end of the transfer window. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Panda said:

Worrying that Lewis Ferguson isn't being linked with anyone. I would like him gone nice and early so we can plan without him, and also a bit of a transfer auction would have been nice too to bump the price up.

Instead can see him still here in pre-season, wanting away, being unhappy, taking long range shots any time the ball comes to him, and finally leaving for a nominal fee at the end of the transfer window. 

Not surprising given the way he's been playing recently - thought he should have been subbed off last night.

Edited by dons8321

Aye thought he was poor last night also,but subbed off for who? The options werent great.As said wish,we could get him off-loaded.Not enjoyable playing someone whod rather be elswhere,even if theyre playing well IMO,and that includes Ramirez who I rate

IMHO, part of the reason that we've struggled as a creative unit over the last 3 seasons is the "undroppable" Ferguson.

I'm maybe missing a lot of the off the ball work he does (as I am only watching from afar on RedTV), but for a guy with the supposed pedigree and admirers he has, there are a real dearth of games that I can remember where he has grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck and actually controlled it like a CM should (and like I'd expect of a "multi-million pound" player in the SPL).  Every other Dons midfielder has had to try to fit in around the game that he wants to play (sometimes deep lying, sometimes roving attacker), so they're ultimately not as effective (as he's often occupying the space they should be in).

I do think he'd thrive with better players around him, but still believe we should've seen much more in a Dons shirt from a guy with aspirations to play in the EPL or Serie A.  I believe McLean, Shinnie and even Christie actually delivered more as Dons central midfield players than Ferguson has.  And I think Barron has shown more of the influence I'd expect from an international than Ferguson has in the 2nd half of this season.

[Step back and prepare for flak...]

• Like 1

Ferguson undoubtedly suffers from "my dad and uncle are huns, so am I" syndrome from our support.  He came into our side just before his 19th birthday and has now played 168 games at only 22 years of age, scoring 37 goals.  Those stats are terrific for a guy of his age and if he had been "one of our own" the fans would love him.  Yes, those are only numbers and not the full story of course but have to feel that Ferguson has not been afforded the slack that other young players have been whilst he has been with us, he doesn't seem to escape the wrath of the fans like the other youngsters do.  Ramsay and Mackenzie have had plenty bad games but don't get nearly as much criticism as Ferguson has taken over the years. He was bought for a few hundred thousand pounds and if we can make a couple of million by selling him, he will have been a cracking bit of business.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KWT15 said:

IMHO, part of the reason that we've struggled as a creative unit over the last 3 seasons is the "undroppable" Ferguson.

I'm maybe missing a lot of the off the ball work he does (as I am only watching from afar on RedTV), but for a guy with the supposed pedigree and admirers he has, there are a real dearth of games that I can remember where he has grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck and actually controlled it like a CM should (and like I'd expect of a "multi-million pound" player in the SPL).  Every other Dons midfielder has had to try to fit in around the game that he wants to play (sometimes deep lying, sometimes roving attacker), so they're ultimately not as effective (as he's often occupying the space they should be in).

I do think he'd thrive with better players around him, but still believe we should've seen much more in a Dons shirt from a guy with aspirations to play in the EPL or Serie A.  I believe McLean, Shinnie and even Christie actually delivered more as Dons central midfield players than Ferguson has.  And I think Barron has shown more of the influence I'd expect from an international than Ferguson has in the 2nd half of this season.

[Step back and prepare for flak...]

You're not going to get flak, Ferguson isn't exactly a popular player. You could repeat what you said about Ferguson for McRorie (2 years older), yet he was voted player of the season when Ferguson finished top scorer. I can confirm that Ferguson does look more dominant in the flesh than on the telly, having been to all our home games and watched most away games on telly. He covers a lot of ground and does a lot of good running. He's been our best player this season and scored goals against both the scum and dominated several games. 

However, you're also right! He should be doing much more. His one assist this season speaks for itself. He's tried to do things all himself when he would have been far more effective bringing others into the game (McLean did both in his final year, but in a much better side). The debate for me is whether this was the player's fault or that of his teammates and manager. I'd say both. Ferguson has been let down this season after he didn't get his move. At a time when he should have been the senior player in midfield alongside another similar player, ala Jack and McLean (perhaps McRorie, perhaps another), he was unnecessarily shackled to a more senior player in Brown, who did nothing for his game and would have only served to make him more disillusioned (a criticism of Glass, not Brown). It was a stupid way to develop a player, removing responsibility from him instead of adding it. It went completely against the stated objectives of the club and something a better chairman than Cormack would have spotted. There is obviously an argument to say that it's not all about Ferguson, in which case we can't complain about his performances. There is certainly a question mark over his attitude this season, as those events have resulted in him becoming selfish and putting himself before the team, but it would be harsh to put most of the blame on him for that. There are more experienced players in Gallagher, Bates, Ojo, Ramirez etc that have failed to show any battle when things were tough. Both McLean and Jack had the foundations to thrive in their final seasons, and even then Jack was regularly criticised by the "fit dis he actually see?" crew.

The huge worry is the player that we're now left with. We really, really don't need a regressing player on our hands and a stalled season will not see offers flying in from the type of team Ferguson would/should aspire to. We'll correctly get offered significantly less than last year, but I'd like to think the club will cut their losses and take whatever we can. It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here, and if he can recover his game from in the mindset it currently resides. It's a gamble for any club taking him on, but definitely worth it as he could turn his game round relatively quickly and become a great player. Last season he'd have been a good signing for a high end championship team or even lower EPL, this season he'd be better trying the McKenna route and looking at a lower end championship team with aspirations to hit the playoffs. I really hope we're not lumbered with him either way, an unhappy Ferguson seems to leech out to those around him (the opposite also true) and will negatively affect the team. I'm not sure I trust Goodwin to handle that particularly well, amongst all the other shite going on. 

44 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Ferguson undoubtedly suffers from "my dad and uncle are huns, so am I" syndrome from our support.  He came into our side just before his 19th birthday and has now played 168 games at only 22 years of age, scoring 37 goals.  Those stats are terrific for a guy of his age and if he had been "one of our own" the fans would love him.  Yes, those are only numbers and not the full story of course but have to feel that Ferguson has not been afforded the slack that other young players have been whilst he has been with us, he doesn't seem to escape the wrath of the fans like the other youngsters do.  Ramsay and Mackenzie have had plenty bad games but don't get nearly as much criticism as Ferguson has taken over the years. He was bought for a few hundred thousand pounds and if we can make a couple of million by selling him, he will have been a cracking bit of business.  

Great post. The bit in bold is evidently true. For a player to have scored three goals against the Tims and one against the Hun yet still be treated as "one of them" is just weird. I don't think I've heard a single Lewis Ferguson chant from the dons in his entire time here. Even when he scored that goal against Burnley and the time he was phenomenal against the scum at Hampden and scored the winner. Yet we went collectively weak at the knees when a Celtic fan and legend turned up at our door to play a retirement cameo. 

Edit: I mean I do get the reasoning. It's because of his sulky face. Jack was never really liked either, and McGinn suffered from it. Cheeky, cheery, broony brooner was just a loveable rogue.

Edited by RicoS321

Papers this morning regurgitating the Ferguson to Cagliari for £3.5m story from January. Considering they’re in the Serie A relegation places with 2 games to go and Inter up next, I doubt there will be much in that.

• Like 1

Now that Scott Brown has taken the Fleetwood job, I wonder if he'll sign any Aberdeen players.

Possibly a destination for Considine or McGeouch? Maybe Brown will make himself a Dons legend forever and take Ojo away from us? I'd chip in for the statue if he did.

As for Lewis Ferguson, you can make the argument he's been great for the Dons based on various things, and you can make the argument he's not done enough. I just find him incredibly frustrating.

The Burnley & Hampden goals were brilliant, he's held his nerve to score many a spot kick, but I doubt I'll find myself saying "we really miss Lewis Ferguson" next season (unless we replace him with some woeful shite).

11 hours ago, Panda said:

The Burnley & Hampden goals were brilliant, he's held his nerve to score many a spot kick, but I doubt I'll find myself saying "we really miss Lewis Ferguson" next season (unless we replace him with some woeful shite).

Partly agree but our recruitment record doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I didn't think losing Ash Taylor and Tommie Hoban was any great loss at the time but the Bates/Gallagher partnership has been substantially worse. Some people argued the likes of Scott Wright, McKenna and Jack weren't that great when they left but they'd all walk into our current side.

We seem to be putting a lot of faith in our ability to not only strengthen a pretty terrible squad but also replace our main striker, best midfielder, and arguably most talented player (Ramsay) in the process. We probably need about five very good signings to pull that off and our previous track record would suggest we'll be fortunate to get one.

• Like 1