Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

34 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Etiquette would be to post a link or tell us what he said.

I find Twitter really shit to navigate. I'm not a user of it. I did just check his page and saw a congratulations to David Bates, which seems the opposite of cryptic, so I'm guessing that there was something further that I'm not seeing.

He said: "Make it make sense please. There are two sides to every story, that’s all for now."

Not only has he deleted the tweet, he's now deleted his twitter & (I think) his Instagram.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Panda said:

Yeh, some of the stick he's getting on Twitter is unwarranted in my opinion.

He's generally kept quiet this summer, he wants to play and isn't even considered a squad player, yet apparently he's a drama queen for one deleted tweet.

If he was shite I wouldn't care, but he's actually proved to be a very effective goalscorer. The whole situation is utterly bizarre. 

Pretty much where I stand on it. The whole situation is so bizarre and I can't really see who is at fault here. It would have been hard to keep two first XI strikers happy at the club, but doesn't make it feel any better.

I feel a bit sorry for him. Unfairly accused of downing tools when Glass got sacked but I think you can more accurately track his dip in form to when Ryan Hedges was sold and not adequately replaced. Seemed to try hard and do relatively well in pre-season and seems to be relentlessly positive when plenty of other players would take a big sulk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Panda said:

He said: "Make it make sense please. There are two sides to every story, that’s all for now."

Not only has he deleted the tweet, he's now deleted his twitter & (I think) his Instagram.

In response to another tweet, or just a random thought out loud? If the latter, hopefully the club are giving him any support he needs and looking after him. 

Trouble is, we never know the whole story we just think we do.  It is Goodwin just wanting to show his authority and wanting to bring in his own men or is Ramirez a bit of an arsehole and a bit toxic in the dressing room?  We'll never really know.  On the face of it, all we see is a decent striker who is being left out of the team when us as fans can see that he would be capable of bringing goals to the side.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Rome wasn't built in a day 2bf.  Overall I think has been a good window which is impressive given the turnaround required. 

On the whole I agree mate.

The one thing that does irk me however is the non addressing of cover for Scales, however I do also acknowledge the difficulty of signing someone of suitable quality when he isn't going to be a first pick.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Rome wasn't built in a day 2bf.  Overall I think has been a good window which is impressive given the turnaround required. 

I'd agree with that but I'll repeat myself for the umpteenth window. It's another window we've failed to sign a legit #10 and missing that player has hurt us over the last few years. Since Christie left that has been needed. Seems like it was Ronan or McGrath and nobody else considered perhaps?? Vinny can play there but that then means Kennedy or Morris starting wide and neither are convincing, although Morris deserves some time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Morris deserves some time

I don't think he deserves game time, but certainly to be given time in training to get up to speed. Duncan should be ahead of him at the moment, but I'm with you on the number ten. I guess they're just difficult to come by. I think it's between Clarkson and Duk for that role depending on who we're playing (or particular stage in the game). Roberts might not be as shite as first impressions suggested when he returns too. 

I think Goodwin has done the right thing in taking a gamble on no more faces. There are already a few of the new signings that don't look that good, and we've still got Watkins and Ramirez to keep happy until January. The last thing we need is another unhappy squad member with so many new faces in the door. 

Despite a decent start, it was always going to take a few windows to overcome the Glass debacle (in recruitment). We're probably ahead of schedule if anything.

Edit: also, McKenzie should be covering Scales against the Tims.

Edited by RicoS321

14 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't think he deserves game time, but certainly to be given time in training to get up to speed. Duncan should be ahead of him at the moment, but I'm with you on the number ten. I guess they're just difficult to come by. I think it's between Clarkson and Duk for that role depending on who we're playing (or particular stage in the game). Roberts might not be as shite as first impressions suggested when he returns too. 

I think Goodwin has done the right thing in taking a gamble on no more faces. There are already a few of the new signings that don't look that good, and we've still got Watkins and Ramirez to keep happy until January. The last thing we need is another unhappy squad member with so many new faces in the door. 

Despite a decent start, it was always going to take a few windows to overcome the Glass debacle (in recruitment). We're probably ahead of schedule if anything.

Aye I would start Duncan over Morris at the moment. 

Has Mackenzie ever actually played as a cb? 

56 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Correct, time as in patience, not game time, that's earned. Also agree that we have a large enough squad that despite not having a 10, we can juggle. Watkins or Duk can also play wide if Vinny is 10. No point in signing a mediocre player if we can maybe get Ronan in Jan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Yes, once. A back three though. He's got the attributes defensively, albeit a little small. He'd be no worse than McRorie and would allow McRorie into midfield. 

Doesnt look it but McKenzie's just over 6' 3" .Aye rather him tried at CB than mucking about with McRorie

• Like 1

Time will tell if it has been a good transfer window.

Goalkeeper: Have we improved? Is Roos better than Lewis?

Defence: Coulson, Stewart & Scales look good. Richardson ropy, and the promise of all these assists he would get hasn't materialised yet.

But at the moment, any improvement in defence appears more down to it being fully fit. We're a Scales injury away from having to rearrange the team to cope, and having players out of position just like last season.

Midfield: I think the jury is out on everyone bar Hayes. It's easy to look impressive v 10-man Livi & St Mirren. The next three games (County, Rangers, Hibs) will show us how good our midfield really is.

Striker: Miovski & Duk are scoring. Again though, let's see the next three games.

We've got a team in place that should be better then last season, but that should be a given. The task is to be an improvement on the last four seasons. 

I’m pleased we didn’t go down the route of signing any old player to fill the squad and didn’t take “any” number 10 if the one we wanted wasn’t available.

If we get short of centre backs and it means Milne and/or Mackenzie get a run of games then it’ll do their development no harm or, worst case, prove they’re not up to it. Far rather see our young players used as back up than stacking the squad with fillers.

The same goes for Ryan Duncan, if Vinny is playing 10 then it moves Duncan up the queue for the left wing spot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

God and Michael Stewart just said on sportsound that Ramirez didn’t ask to go back to the states last season but that the club actually sent him away. Maybe that’s old news and I’ve just found out but something major would surely have to have happened to spark that.

That is definitely not what club said at the time. 

• Like 1

Some weird quotes from Goodwin in the Daily Record this morning about him not being prolific enough from when he was appointed last season which overlooks the complete lack of creativity in the team at the time. Plus if it was purely down to his scoring statistics, surely his pre-season and League Cup performances were enough to at least keep him on the bench. 

9 hours ago, Slim said:

Some weird quotes from Goodwin in the Daily Record this morning about him not being prolific enough from when he was appointed last season which overlooks the complete lack of creativity in the team at the time. Plus if it was purely down to his scoring statistics, surely his pre-season and League Cup performances were enough to at least keep him on the bench. 

I wonder if Goodwin just doesn't think he's worth the money he's on 

2 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

How would he know though? Granted he’s missed a couple of sitters but I’d imagine his headspace isn’t great considering he’s being dropped left right and centre. I still think the whole situation stinks.

7 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Last time I checked, Goodwin isn’t my wife, so if that’s the case just be open and direct about it?

“He doesn’t fit into my team and as he’s on a big contract it would be best for all parties if we could find him a transfer away”

The overwhelming response to that would be “aye ok, fair enough”.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slim said:

Last time I checked, Goodwin isn’t my wife, so if that’s the case just be open and direct about it?

“He doesn’t fit into my team and as he’s on a big contract it would be best for all parties if we could find him a transfer away”

The overwhelming response to that would be “aye ok, fair enough”.

Either way, the window has been and gone, so we're still paying him until at least January. I don't think Miovski needs 90 minutes every week and I'd like to see Ramirez getting 20 minutes most weeks. He's good enough. The sitter he missed earlier in the season isn't any worse than some of the one's Miovski has missed. He's proved he's prolific.

• Like 1