Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

8 hours ago, manc_don said:

How would he know though? Granted he’s missed a couple of sitters but I’d imagine his headspace isn’t great considering he’s being dropped left right and centre. I still think the whole situation stinks.

In fairness he's been in charge since February and has seen far more of him than we have.  Fwiw I don't think Ramirez is worth the 6-7k a week he's allegedly on. 

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Last time I checked, Goodwin isn’t my wife, so if that’s the case just be open and direct about it?

“He doesn’t fit into my team and as he’s on a big contract it would be best for all parties if we could find him a transfer away”

The overwhelming response to that would be “aye ok, fair enough”.

No idea but I don't disagree

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Either way, the window has been and gone, so we're still paying him until at least January. I don't think Miovski needs 90 minutes every week and I'd like to see Ramirez getting 20 minutes most weeks. He's good enough. The sitter he missed earlier in the season isn't any worse than some of the one's Miovski has missed. He's proved he's prolific.

I don't disagree he's prolific and more than good enough to do a job but if he's to be off then I would rather see Duk get the game time.  That said how long till he's got a starting berth?

2 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

I don't disagree he's prolific and more than good enough to do a job but if he's to be off then I would rather see Duk get the game time.  That said how long till he's got a starting berth?

I think Duk can play alongside both Miovski and Ramirez rather than instead of. I think we need two up front against teams that try and play us on the counter and sit deep. Miovski has looked a little stranded on his own against eleven.

7 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I think Duk can play alongside both Miovski and Ramirez rather than instead of. I think we need two up front against teams that try and play us on the counter and sit deep. Miovski has looked a little stranded on his own against eleven.

Absolutely, we need to have a plan b if it's not working. I think a lot of teams are going to sit in and try to frustrate us this year. We will need a physical player up top now and again and Ramirez and Duk both seem capable in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth bumping this thread for a wee debate on our signings? Was going to do it this week, but out of respect I decided I'd leave it until after the Hibs game. Always a good barometer of where we are. 

Roos - good keeper, done well so far.

Coulson - great player. Unavailable.

Scales - good player. Loan from Tims a big problem

Stewart - jury out. Really slow. Looks to me like a competent player playing at a level above where he should be

Richardson - athlete. Nae good enough. However might come good if managed very well.

Ramadani - jury out. Similar to Stewart, competent player that might be at a level above where he should be. Outplayed by Newell today, very worrying.

Clarkson - great player, who adds much needed balance to the midfield (like Barron)

Duk - good finisher, not a starter due to his inability to track back and hold a position. That good, exciting backup striker we'd been missing.

Morris - charlatan. Fire him into the sea. Needs to stop getting minutes ahead of Duncan.

Roberts - didn't look great before injury, but obviously needs much more time for us to evaluate

Miovski - the only one who I think has the ability to go on to better things (loanees aside). Great movement, decent in the air and reasonably mobile with plenty of room for improvement.

If I'm missing someone, it says more about them than me! 

Overall, it's not a massive success as expected. It was a really difficult task in a single window. We've managed to put together a half decent team, but that's about it. I can see Watkins being given more and more minutes in the coming weeks. Guys like Ramadani and Stewart will be easily replaceable when the time comes and are no better than those that came before (not directly before).

Goodwin - jury out. He's definitely been willing to try things (like two up front today) and I think he'll do well given time.

Edit: I should add Polvara and Besuijen as they haven't been here long.

Polvara - not good enough

Besuijen - decent player, just lacks that pace over 20-30 yards that prevents him leaving guys in his wake. Not as good as a young Hayes. Good player to have in the side though and will only improve.

Edited by RicoS321

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to hold off until the Killie game to pass judgement, but I don't think you're far off.  I think it's fair to say that if Coulson was more available, he wouldn't be with us. So as it stands, he's the calibre of player we want, just not the consistency. 

The ones i'm most disappointed by are Besuijen and Stewart tbh.  I'm not sure Besuijen has what it takes.  It's certainly not skill as he has it, but seems to just not produce it consistently enough, nor make the right decisions.

Stewart I thought started well but has been struggling of late. Maybe you're right, he's playing a level above and has been found out by the opposition? I thought he played well against the Tims, but we're not playing that level of quality week in week out. I'd have thought the lesser teams would be more his level.

Goodwin, I'm not sure he's the one, but we really need to have a decent season and a bit to see what he's about. We can't go chopping and changing each season it gets tough. I expect a lot of unpredictability due to the squad we have, but still think he / we've made some questionable signing decisions.  I'm still happy that DM is not in the home dugout this weekend though. Regardless of what happens, he was well due his jotters. Interesting to see what reception he gets. Personally, I hope theres not any animosity from the Dons faithful. 

22 hours ago, manc_don said:

The ones i'm most disappointed by are Besuijen and Richardson tbh.  I'm not sure Besuijen has what it takes.  It's certainly not skill as he has it, but seems to just not produce it consistently enough, nor make the right decisions

Regarding Besuijen he's still fairly young though. The fact it's just consistency and good decision making he lacks gives me hope that with more game time he will get there. 

• Like 1

Was trying to embed a twatter link on here, but not sure of the process. Anyway, dons have signed Aaron Reid fae Turra whilst simultaneously entering the worst sentence in history competition:

"The Club can confirm it has reached agreement with

to transfer rising talent, Aaron Reid, who has signed a contract with the Dons which will officially be executed in January."

4 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Was trying to embed a twatter link on here, but not sure of the process. Anyway, dons have signed Aaron Reid fae Turra whilst simultaneously entering the worst sentence in history competition:

"The Club can confirm it has reached agreement with

to transfer rising talent, Aaron Reid, who has signed a contract with the Dons which will officially be executed in January."

This is in the wrong thread Rico

Unfortunately, the one it should be in

"Jan 2023 Transfer Thread" hasn't been created yet.

Far too early to start transfer nonsense  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BigAl said:

This is in the wrong thread Rico

Unfortunately, the one it should be in

"Jan 2023 Transfer Thread" hasn't been created yet.

Far too early to start transfer nonsense  😉

Apologies, I was struggling to decipher the club's message. I thought we'd signed a player now, that we were then going to execute in January. I thought it was some form of sacrificial thing being introduced by our American friends to increase the zealotry within the club.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Apologies, I was struggling to decipher the club's message. I thought we'd signed a player now, that we were then going to execute in January. I thought it was some form of sacrificial thing being introduced by our American friends to increase the zealotry within the club.

Assume you got it was just my idea of getting my own back on you for your first post on this thread Rico 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Poor lad must've found a bean in his rowie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think we all thought Miovski was probably going to be the best bit of business we had done in the summer but Lopes is defo giving me cause to reconsider that at the moment. I'm not saying that because BM is going through a dry patch either, Duk seems to have it all. Good on both feet, strong on the ball, very unpredictable, knows where the net is and a good burst of pace about him too.  His attitude seems first class too, I was very impressed at how quickly he got in shape when he first arrived.  He dropped half a stone easy in a fortnight. 

Suppose this is as good a time as any to give a first report card on the summer business. 

Coulson - big thumbs up

Richardson - i don't think he's as bad as some make out but he's defo been shaky and pleased to see him taken out of the firing line.  Another player I thought looked better with the back 3. 

Morris - did better against thistle but that wasn't difficult given how poor he's been and  still not seeing why he's getting in ahead of Duncan. 

Besuijen - not technically a summer signing but worth including here I think.  Defo had his moments and capable of something out of nothing but he needs to improve his consistency.  Pass marks for sure though. 

Roos - seems solid enough, certainly not looking out of place 

Miovski - big thumbs up

Clarkson - so far so good, not much yiu could fault about him all things considered. 

Stewart - good penalty box defender, only thing I've not liked about him is some of his distribution decision making.  

Scales - thumbs up, would be big if he wasn't on loan. 

Rama - big thumbs up, especially now he's playing as a 1 in front of defence.  It really suits his game. 

Roberts - we likely won't be able to judge until after the WC

• 2 weeks later...