Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Totally agree and it is because of the market we are shopping in nowadays.

Does that not conflict with your argument then?

You're saying the foreign signings don't work out because they can't adapt to Scotland, then say it's because they probably weren't good enough in the first place. 

For every foreign player you say wasn't good enough, I could probably name 20 from the U.K. we signed who weren't good enough either.

Our current recruitment and scouting model is essentially less than a year old, so comparing it to previous seasons is probably useless anyway.

27 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

As I read these replies, theres a photo on the RHS of this page of messers Kerr,McDonald,Bird,Wright,Bossu and some other dude i cant remember the name of. The heady days of our past recruitment....

Jack Gurr would be up there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

As I read these replies, theres a photo on the RHS of this page of messers Kerr,McDonald,Bird,Wright,Bossu and some other dude i cant remember the name of. The heady days of our past recruitment....

Sammy Stewart ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Panda said:

Does that not conflict with your argument then?

You're saying the foreign signings don't work out because they can't adapt to Scotland, then say it's because they probably weren't good enough in the first place. 

For every foreign player you say wasn't good enough, I could probably name 20 from the U.K. we signed who weren't good enough either.

Our current recruitment and scouting model is essentially less than a year old, so comparing it to previous seasons is probably useless anyway.

Look, every signing is a risk and of course you can buy shite players from anywhere but it's all about minimising risk when making a signing.  If you buy someone that you know about, you maximise the possibility that that player will be a decent signing for your club. That was what happened in the late 80s and early 90s with the Snelders, Gillhaus type signings.  These were established proven players so the chances of them being a success were higher.

Finances now dictate that we are essentially taking a punt whenever we go into the foreign market so as Rico said in his post, we simply don't know how good these players are compared to the ones in our own league.  Then, if they do turn out to be of the correct standard you have the headache about whether they will settle in the country, be able to cope with the freezing nights in Perth and Motherwell, deal with being hundreds of miles away from their family etc etc.  It's not to say that you won't get one right eventually, but the odds of it working out, in my opinion, are far higher than signing a player from a British or Irish team.

£4.5m plus £3m of potential add-ons plus a 20% sell-on clause according to BBC. If true, I think that’s a very good deal for us, especially considering his shit form since coming back from injury. Still has a medical to pass though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slim said:

£4.5m plus £3m of potential add-ons plus a 20% sell-on clause according to BBC. If true, I think that’s a very good deal for us, especially considering his shit form since coming back from injury. Still has a medical to pass though.

Hopefully now we can kick on and bring new players in!!!

Retard reporting we are looking at Josh Dacres Cogley from Tranmere as the replacement for Ransay.

26 year old with 12 months left on contract  appears to have playe less than 100.first team matches in his career.

P.S oh and they are looking for £400k 😵

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Retard reporting we are looking at Josh Dacres Cogley from Tranmere as the replacement for Ransay.

26 year old with 12 months left on contract  appears to have playe less than 100.first team matches in his career.

Well their neighbours across the mersey just gave the club 4million so they know they are flush at the moment

7 hours ago, BigAl said:

Aye the number of games is odd for a player who is 26. Suggests injury prone but it looks like he played every game this season from Tranmere so maybe not. Cannot see us paying £400k for a player from league 2 so probably a non starter anyway. 

8 hours ago, Slim said:

Probably worth just chucking £50k at whoever Stephen O’Donnell’s playing for these days and focus the larger transfer fees on positions that have a higher impact on results.

5 hours ago, sheepheid said:

That’s a shout, short term 

Yeh, I see no reason why Motherwell wouldn't sell us a full international, aged only 30, with 12 months still left on his deal, for 50k.

• Haha 1

Maybe not but considering he had zero other offers when he left Killie as a 20-something Scotland international other than a short term deal with Motherwell and zero other offers when that short term deal expired, I don’t think the market price will be that high with a year left on his contract, his increasing age and his rapid descent down the Scotland pecking order now behind Patterson, Ralston and Hickey, and soon Ramsay.

Falls outside the managers stated target group of 24 to 28 and another centre back. Actually seen him play against Sunderland last season in a game where Wycombe were a shambles at the back. Not sure I would be touching anyone from that back 4 on the evidence of that game.