Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dante Polvara

We're safe to go now he's confirmed. Quite a risk to take with starting a new thread, but has worked out nicely.

So a college league player? What would this be the equivalent of, signing-wise? Taking a punt on a second division youngster up here, or taking a youth teamer akin to Ferguson when he signed? Could he be the next mark Gallagher?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

We're safe to go now he's confirmed. Quite a risk to take with starting a new thread, but has worked out nicely.

So a college league player? What would this be the equivalent of, signing-wise? Taking a punt on a second division youngster up here, or taking a youth teamer akin to Ferguson when he signed? Could he be the next mark Gallagher?

Fortune favours the brave thread starters in these difficult times.

We can only hope this boy works out well as the mls is still pretty unknown. Should we be worried he’s ended up here rather than in the mls or is this a sign he sees his career in Europe? He looks the part physically at least.

Hopefully more Ramirez than gallagher/gurr.

• Like 2

Interesting reading up on this guy. At 21 we’re not signing him to play youth or developmental league. It sounds like he’s a Lewis Ferguson type player and possibly even his replacement in the squad. Given an award for best college player is pretty impressive and the names he’s played with have gone on to good things. Curiously optimistic but at the same time Hernandez excited me when we signed him. Low risk high reward and I think he’ll be more of a Ramirez than a Gurr but time will tell!

much rather have him and youth coming through like Barron than the loaning of longstaff or samuels. We’re still missing wingers and another forward though and still need more proven talent if hedges and Ferguson go. Hopefully money from a Ferguson and/or hedges sales allows us to pick up the st mirren lad and a couple of other proven talents.

Sceptical about this one but I suppose we were all moaning about McInnes not looking beyond the British isles, so intrigued to see what this provides. So far, cormack is 1-2 in terms of successful yank imports to duds so pressure isn’t quite on but given the Hernandez saga does add to it. Wonder when we’ll see some significant movement out of the club. 

49 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Sceptical about this one but I suppose we were all moaning about McInnes not looking beyond the British isles, so intrigued to see what this provides. So far, cormack is 1-2 in terms of successful yank imports to duds so pressure isn’t quite on but given the Hernandez saga does add to it. Wonder when we’ll see some significant movement out of the club. 

Yeah but next we'll be looking at Samoa's kindergarten because Fala, aged 3 scored a hat-trick whilst licking an ice cream.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

I wasn't moaning about McInnes not looking beyond the British isles, and I suspect many quietly stopped after the Hernandez incident! I still think England will be our busiest market, but hopefully the new recruitment guy will have a bit more about him. 

I think this guy is the right type of signing though, rather than Gallagher or Gurr types. A punt, perhaps, but one with potential.

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I wasn't moaning about McInnes not looking beyond the British isles, and I suspect many quietly stopped after the Hernandez incident! I still think England will be our busiest market, but hopefully the new recruitment guy will have a bit more about him. 

I think this guy is the right type of signing though, rather than Gallagher or Gurr types. A punt, perhaps, but one with potential.

Bit in bold is way I see it  as well. Not expecting this lad to be an instant hit but as long as wages are not excessive one that could have a big upside for the club if the lad can be developed and copes with the transition to playing professionally. 

Only thing is he is another central midfielder. Got loads of them and we really need to be looking at getting in players for other areas over the midfield. 

8 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Wasn’t directing it at you, more a generalisation of some of our support. You’ve always made your point re: British isles being our strongest market. Others (on Twitter and such likes) have always moaned, even I have in the past but yes, the Hernandez situation probably went in the opposite direction 😂

• Like 1

Just now, HaarDon said:

I'd like to know out of interest what offers he had from other European clubs.

Funny you should say that.  Just been reading up on this and apparently he had offers from Juventus, Valencia, Dortmund and Man City.  Turns out he opted for the Dons due to his love for butteries, Irn Bru, shortbread and freezing temperatures.  Seemingly likes a buttery cut in half with bacon in the middle 🙄

35 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Funny you should say that.  Just been reading up on this and apparently he had offers from Juventus, Valencia, Dortmund and Man City.  Turns out he opted for the Dons due to his love for butteries, Irn Bru, shortbread and freezing temperatures.  Seemingly likes a buttery cut in half with bacon in the middle 🙄

Exactly!