Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Manager

40 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Stephen Glass' credentials are shite. 

Played 16 last year , won 3 and lost 10.

No thanks

Stephen Glass will get it, which will be a monumentally stupid decision.

He has a horrendous record. 

He has nothing to make him a contender other than Atlanta the paymasters foisting him on us like some sort of work experience experiment.

2 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

He has nothing to make him a contender other than Atlanta the paymasters foisting him on us like some sort of work experience experiment.

I think Glass getting it would raise some serious questions. The Gallagher situation was odd and looked like we'd been paid money by Atlanta to give him a run in the team. The Hernandez situation clearly wasn't our money given the size of the transfer fee and the fact McInnes didn't rate him or even know who he was. It reeked a bit of Atlanta trying to dodge some rule/tax restriction by buying us a player but still effectively controlling him as an asset (something reinforced by the fact we eventually loaned him to Atlanta).

If you read between the lines of both of those deals though they arguably make sense from our perspective. Getting a free Venezuelan international in the squad for a season seems like a good deal and we obviously weren't under any obligation to play him. Gallagher wasn't up to much but you can see how it might have made sense in principle if we'd been given some money and a player for nothing.

Appointing a shite manager, on the other hand, and likely undermining Cormack's position with the fans (almost none of whom will want Glass) would be taking it to a different level. If that actually does happen then either Atlanta are partly running the club and Cormack can't say no, or they're giving us some kind of major financial commitment that is so lucrative it makes sense. 

Graham hunter saying ex aberdeen so looks like Glass.(nothing to say he's any good for us)

I now want Sean Maloney for the job over any of the candidates mentioned. 

Being assistant to the best team in the world is fantastic on your CV and would perhaps be great in recruiting Belgian youth who knows .

Fantastic experience to move up to head coach imo.

He was so close to playing for us too.

COME ON MALONEY.

There isnt any stand out candidates at the moment. Glass would be a totally uninspiring appointment and if it went badly there would be a lot of questions to answer.

The quote Ive seen from Dave Cormack is: “The club now has the opportunity to appoint a new manager ahead of the new season where, with a number of players out of contract, we have work to do to build a competitive squad.”

Which makes it sound as if we are holding off till the summer. If what Graham Hunter says is true and we know who we are going for it can only mean that we have to wait for them to become availiable otherwise we would get them in as soon as possible. I don't see the logic of holding off till the summer to bring Glass in as the MLS is played over the summer so hopefully that rules him out. But if Im correct that means its someone who already has a club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Graham hunter saying ex aberdeen so looks like Glass.(nothing to say he's any good for us)

Being assistant to the best team in the world is fantastic on your CV and would perhaps be great in recruiting Belgian youth who knows .

COME ON MALONEY.

Would you be so enthusiastic if ex-St Johnstone striker Graeme Jones was in the frame? He was Belgium assistant coach when they finished 3rd at the 2018 World Cup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Jones

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Slim said:

Would you be so enthusiastic if ex-St Johnstone striker Graeme Jones was in the frame? He was Belgium assistant coach when they finished 3rd at the 2018 World Cup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Jones

Personally no because he doesnt have a great record as a head coach and is still under contract.

I like the idea of Maloney being a younger manager with the addition that he has an actual interest/support for AFC.

I would be willing to give Maloney a go more than the other names going around like Glass, Levein, Lennon etc.

4 hours ago, HaarDon said:

COME ON MALONEY.

yzilv0faxkceb31nlbie.jpg

?

5 hours ago, HaarDon said:

He said that he was just having a laugh with Jim White and he doesn't know at all.

Maloney's a Tim I think, but obviously grew up here. He's a bit small to make it in management too.

To be honest, if we're going down the Glass or Maloney route with director of football, I'd think Robson would be just as good a shout. I'm not saying that would be my preferred option.

Edited by RicoS321

7 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

I think Glass getting it would raise some serious questions. The Gallagher situation was odd and looked like we'd been paid money by Atlanta to give him a run in the team. The Hernandez situation clearly wasn't our money given the size of the transfer fee and the fact McInnes didn't rate him or even know who he was. It reeked a bit of Atlanta trying to dodge some rule/tax restriction by buying us a player but still effectively controlling him as an asset (something reinforced by the fact we eventually loaned him to Atlanta).

If you read between the lines of both of those deals though they arguably make sense from our perspective. Getting a free Venezuelan international in the squad for a season seems like a good deal and we obviously weren't under any obligation to play him. Gallagher wasn't up to much but you can see how it might have made sense in principle if we'd been given some money and a player for nothing.

Appointing a shite manager, on the other hand, and likely undermining Cormack's position with the fans (almost none of whom will want Glass) would be taking it to a different level. If that actually does happen then either Atlanta are partly running the club and Cormack can't say no, or they're giving us some kind of major financial commitment that is so lucrative it makes sense. 

Agree 100%.
The goodwill that Cormack had built up would be completely destroyed by appointing someone who’s clearly not qualified to do the job.

Would be a horrendous appointment. 

I think it'll be Goodwin. 

Based on nothing more than St Mirren giving him a  new contract, when the "McInnes out" stuff started 6/7 weeks ago and the Chairman making some comment about it in the papers today. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we had made tentative enquiries in Jan/early Feb. 

Probably the best out of a poor lot of possibilities. Agree with Rico that we need to overhaul the whole set up with a DoF or Sporting Director, coaching staff that are employed regardless of manager/head coach etc. 

4 hours ago, DantheDon said:

There isnt any stand out candidates at the moment. Glass would be a totally uninspiring appointment and if it went badly there would be a lot of questions to answer.

The quote Ive seen from Dave Cormack is: “The club now has the opportunity to appoint a new manager ahead of the new season where, with a number of players out of contract, we have work to do to build a competitive squad.”

Which makes it sound as if we are holding off till the summer. If what Graham Hunter says is true and we know who we are going for it can only mean that we have to wait for them to become availiable otherwise we would get them in as soon as possible. I don't see the logic of holding off till the summer to bring Glass in as the MLS is played over the summer so hopefully that rules him out. But if Im correct that means its someone who already has a club.

Or someone who’s assisting at the Euros ...?

Who am I kidding... I’m convinced it’s Glass... trying to prepare myself for the huge disappointment when it’s announced. 

Has anyone suggested Paul Lambert? He has been pretty successful as a manager and has the experience as a player of winning and winning big. He has been managing League One sides of late, so Pittodrie shouldn't be seen as a step down for him. I guess it would depend upon how much we were willing to pay and if his family is settled in middle England. Plus he is out of a job just now, so no compensation to pay!

Edited by Chris Frae Killie

5 minutes ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

Has anyone suggested Paul Lambert? He has been pretty successful as a manager and has the experience as a player of winning and winning big. He has been managing League One sides of late, so Pittodrie shouldn't be seen as a step down for him. I guess it would depend upon how much we were willing to pay and if his family is settled in middle England.

Regardless of any perceived success (two seasons with Norwich in reality), this is a man who played for the tims, allegedly supported the huns, and believes the new club should not have been "relegated". 

It's a no from me. 

7 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

Regardless of any perceived success (two seasons with Norwich in reality), this is a man who played for the tims, allegedly supported the huns, and believes the new club should not have been "relegated". 

It's a no from me. 

Agreed. He's one of the most uninspiring candidates in the history of football. I also don't think he's been very successful as a manager.

1 hour ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

Has anyone suggested Paul Lambert? He has been pretty successful as a manager and has the experience as a player of winning and winning big. He has been managing League One sides of late, so Pittodrie shouldn't be seen as a step down for him. I guess it would depend upon how much we were willing to pay and if his family is settled in middle England. Plus he is out of a job just now, so no compensation to pay!

Success?

Aside from one stint at Norwich, he’s been shite.

He’s also a slave to the “Old Firm”, thick as pig shit & would be a terrible appointment.

• Like 1

The only factor in Stephen Glass's favour is the Atlanta connection and as such as other have alluded to if he gets it, it tells us all we really need to know about our Chairman.

I cling to the hope that Dave is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat here

I'd be happy with Goodwin, like the cut of his jib.  Didn't work out too bad the last time we took St mirren manager either.  Won't happen though.  I will be quite surprised if cormack isn't planning to go the dof, head coach route and I can't see a manager like Goodwin being happy with that.