Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

I understand that St Johnstone want May back, according to their fans anyway, but we paid close to 500k for him, did we not? Yes, he's absolutely mince and been a complete failure, but I'd be pretty pissed off if we released him for nothing, at least try and claw some sort of fee back, maybe between 150k-250k.

Or, let him go out on loan, hopefully he gets played as an out and out Striker, and gets some sort of confidence back.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might as well just cut their losses with May and give him a free if anyone is willing to take him.  Signing Wilson based on last season is pure madness, cannot imagine why you would put him ahead of Cosgrove in the queue given Cosgrove's goals last season.  Must admit I have not seen much of Main at all, fingers crossed on that one.

Why would May agree to that? He's got a contract worth £4k/week for another 2 years and nobody in the bottom half of the league could get anywhere near to matching it. We would have to either give him a pay-off lump sum, probably at least 75% of what the remainder of his contract was worth or cover whatever fraction of his wages that any new team taking him on were unable to pay to top him up that £4k/week.

I think the best solution is a 6 month loan. If he does well he can come back for a fresh start or the loaning club may extend the agreement if we really don't want him. If he does just as badly as here.... well we have saved a few quid (not a lot tbh) and he returns probably to see out his contract which we will have budgeted for anyway

no one will pay any money for may a signing that has probably cost close to 750k all in so far , fucking horrendous as bad as tommy wright

In cold monetary terms this has the potential to completely eclipse Tommy Wright fiasco.

I have two abiding memories of him, one conceding a penalty against The Arabs, the other one of the best headed goals I've ever seen against St Mirren

There were rumours of us being interested in Miller last summer. For someone of 40 he is undoubtedly in fantastic shape and looked half decent in a totally crappy Dundee side last season but sorry Seabass...…….it's just a no thank you. I'd imagine Miller is more interested in another crack at management following his 6 week stint at Livi.

St Mirren job looks like it's probably available.....

There were rumours of us being interested in Miller last summer. For someone of 40 he is undoubtedly in fantastic shape and looked half decent in a totally crappy Dundee side last season but sorry Seabass...…….it's just a no thank you. I'd imagine Miller is more interested in another crack at management following his 6 week stint at Livi.

St Mirren job looks like it's probably available.....

Just logged back on to post about The Helen job.

Reckon it's a close run thing between Goodwin and Miller

Just logged back on to post about The Helen job.

Reckon it's a close run thing between Goodwin and Miller

Everything points to Goodwin being lined up to replace Kearney but according to St Mirren fans Goodwin and Fitzpatrick do not get on which might open the door for Miller.

Not seen any real links but Paul Coutts is a local boy who has said he'd want to return to Aberdeen one day. Worth a look? I think he's a central midfielder? Add him and it doesn't mean running Ferguson into the ground for a second season.

Not seen any real links but Paul Coutts is a local boy who has said he'd want to return to Aberdeen one day. Worth a look? I think he's a central midfielder? Add him and it doesn't mean running Ferguson into the ground for a second season.

Widely quoted as preferring to remain in English football just now.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Why would May agree to that? He's got a contract worth £4k/week for another 2 years and nobody in the bottom half of the league could get anywhere near to matching it. We would have to either give him a pay-off lump sum, probably at least 75% of what the remainder of his contract was worth or cover whatever fraction of his wages that any new team taking him on were unable to pay to top him up that £4k/week.

I think the best solution is a 6 month loan. If he does well he can come back for a fresh start or the loaning club may extend the agreement if we really don't want him. If he does just as badly as here.... well we have saved a few quid (not a lot tbh) and he returns probably to see out his contract which we will have budgeted for anyway

Yes, exactly what I meant Ten Caat, we just need to get rid.  He has had two seasons to show what he can do and played a LOT of games not just bit parts.  Don't see what good a loan would be, pay him what he is due and get shot of him.  Far better to give young Anderson a proper chance than to piss about with May, put him out on loan and take him back and try again.  He has had more than enough time invested in him already.

Yes, exactly what I meant Ten Caat, we just need to get rid.  He has had two seasons to show what he can do and played a LOT of games not just bit parts.  Don't see what good a loan would be, pay him what he is due and get shot of him.  Far better to give young Anderson a proper chance than to piss about with May, put him out on loan and take him back and try again.  He has had more than enough time invested in him already.

Agreed. If you loan him to Saints, then they'll only be paying him a portion of his salary anyway. If we pay him off, we'd (roughly) have to pay the difference between what Saints will pay him and what we would be paying him for the next two years. Either way, the cost to get rid is still the same in January when it comes to the next decision point unless he performs well enough to get someone to pay a fee for him to cover the remainder of his contract. 

Get rid now

Remaining salary____£100K (arbitrary figure for illustration)

less Saints salary____ £50K

Total cost of pay off___£50K

Wait until Jan

Remaining salary____________£75K

less Saints salary____________£37.5K

add salary subsidy until Jan____£12.5K

Total cost of pay off__________£50K

If we're convinced that all he needs is a loan move to get his confidence up and he'll return as a goalscoring legend then go for it. Otherwise, take the hit now and look forward with a new striker. The alternative is to retain him in the squad and have another year of him coming off the bench or starting with zero impact on games.

hoban offered rehab with us

Shrewd move like. He's a very good player. The rehab costs nothing, but it certainly gains a lot if we get a player like Hoban at the end of it. As an aside, I'd like to think we'd do that for any player that was injured whilst playing for us but whose contract has expired. It's just the decent thing to do. Although, his parent should be first to offer.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Mair's replacement signed

Samuel  (Sam) Jackson from Dundee

hold on to ya butts  ;)